Sign in to follow this  
Bibliogryphon

Sir John Hurt

How can you make children care about John Hurt?

It's simple, just say "A 'Harry Potter' actor gets diagnosed with cancer":

http://www.j-14.com/posts/john-hurt-cancer-harry-potter-actor-ollivander-61016

the whole article doesn't even mention his other movies just his minor role in Harry Potter

the whole article doesn't even mention his other movies just his minor role in Harry Potter

My son who is 6 knows him from the animated version of Lord of The Rings as the voice of Aragorn / Strider, from Doctor Who as the War Doctor, and also from the Harry Potter movies.

My son who is 6 knows him from the animated version of Lord of The Rings as the voice of Aragorn / Strider, from Doctor Who as the War Doctor, and also from the Harry Potter movies.

Mind you, all fans can be so myopic. I remember when Geoffrey Hughes died, some places had him "best remembered for his role in Doctor Who". A role which took up a whole two episode. No one watched Corrie, Heartbeat or the internationally renowned Keeping up Appearances there, I take it!

Mind you, all fans can be so myopic. I remember when Geoffrey Hughes died, some places had him "best remembered for his role in Doctor Who". A role which took up a whole two episode. No one watched Corrie, Heartbeat or the internationally renowned Keeping up Appearances there, I take it!

Genre roles can often be quite long lived as the fans tend to be quite obsessive. However even within the SF/Fantasy genre John Hurt has a rich range of credits Doctor Who. Merlin, Alien, HP, 1984, Indiana Jones

I don't even remember Geoffrey Hughes in Doctor Who, although if he appeared in it at a time when Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy played the Doctor it's likely that I didn't pay much attention as I more or less stopped watching it by that time as I just couldn't get into the storylines and for me they didn't seem right for the role.

Bibliogryphon

Genre roles can often be quite long lived as the fans tend to be quite obsessive. However even within the SF/Fantasy genre John Hurt has a rich range of credits Doctor Who. Merlin, Alien, HP, 1984, Indiana Jones

Aye, he's one like Julian Glover, collecting roles in various cult things!

I don't even remember Geoffrey Hughes in Doctor Who, although if he appeared in it at a time when Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy played the Doctor it's likely that I didn't pay much attention as I more or less stopped watching it by that time as I just couldn't get into the storylines and for me they didn't seem right for the role.

He was in Trial of a Time Lord, briefly.

Bibliogryphon

He played Mr Popplewick

Who was actually the Valeyard

Who was actually the Doctor

This is what you get when your lead writer dies halfway through the season finale and the script editor storms off taking the script outline for the final episode with him leaving the only people left in the building to try and work out an ending based on the scripts to that point.

Forget an Adventure in Time & Space they should make a drama out of the last years of Doctor Who before Michael Grade killed it off. If they could find someone suitable evil to play Michael Grade.

Anyone see John Hurt at the Wimbledon Men's Final today? Sad to say, but 2016 might be a struggle to make. Looks aren't everything though, I hope his treatment is a success.

Anyone see John Hurt at the Wimbledon Men's Final today? Sad to say, but 2016 might be a struggle to make. Looks aren't everything though, I hope his treatment is a success.

I saw him and, yes, I agree, it looks grim.

You don't BEAT cancer, you merely ( if you are lucky) put it off for as long as you can.

I believe that the survival rate for Hurts cancer is low, certainly not as 'survivable' as a whole plethora of other types.

I couldn't give a shit about Wimbledon does Anyone have images if john hurt at the event

He's already beginning to have that typical gaunt look of pancreatic cancer. Steve Jobs managed to hang on a couple months with it though.

I couldn't give a shit about Wimbledon does Anyone have images if john hurt at the event

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJt9cW0UsAAFkzQ.jpg

Looks pretty grim indeed:(

Hmm, marginal for the start line but a universal pick if he makes the 2016 dead pools, IMHO

• Like 1

John Hurt has never had the look of someone brimming over with vitality but that picture shocked me.

He has just taken Omar Shariff's place in my preplanning for next years game.

Gets his knighthood. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3165394/John-Hurt-says-doctor-incredibly-optimistic-knighted-Queen-Elizabeth-pancreatic-cancer-diagnosis.html

I'd be grateful if the mods would rename the thread to Sir John Hurt, please if it's not too much trouble, before he passes.

Edit: PS: Thanks.

Bibliogryphon

He played Mr Popplewick

This is what you get when your lead writer dies halfway through the season finale and the script editor storms off taking the script outline for the final episode with him leaving the only people left in the building to try and work out an ending based on the scripts to that point.

Forget an Adventure in Time & Space they should make a drama out of the last years of Doctor Who before Michael Grade killed it off. If they could find someone suitable evil to play Michael Grade.

Sorry but I don't really understand the hate leveled against Grade at all. To me, the quality of the show took a nose-dive due to the Saward-JNT team. Everything they touched turned to muck due to ridiculous decisions (poor casting, turning the Doctor into a gun-toting thug, massive death tolls in episodes, poor selection of writers [Pip and Jane for instance] and various ill-conceived gimmicks.) Yes, the quality picked up substantially right at the very end when Cartmel tried to save things but it was too late by then.

Grade performed a mercy-killing in my humble opinion. The only other thing he could have done was to sack Saward and JNT years earlier but it was better to give the show a rest or we wouldn't have the strong series we have now.

Bibliogryphon

He played Mr Popplewick

Sorry but I don't really understand the hate leveled against Grade at all. To me, the quality of the show took a nose-dive due to the Saward-JNT team. Everything they touched turned to muck due to ridiculous decisions (poor casting, turning the Doctor into a gun-toting thug, massive death tolls in episodes, poor selection of writers [Pip and Jane for instance] and various ill-conceived gimmicks.) Yes, the quality picked up substantially right at the very end when Cartmel tried to save things but it was too late by then.

Grade performed a mercy-killing in my humble opinion. The only other thing he could have done was to sack Saward and JNT years earlier but it was better to give the show a rest or we wouldn't have the strong series we have now.

This was a case of people staying too long in the job.

When JNT took over he completely revamped the show. If you comapare the quality of the last Graham Williams series (Creature from the Pit/Horns of Nimon) with things like The Leisure Hive/Warriors' Gate & Full Circle then you will see his achievments. The problem came when he got to casting his second Doctor and then a third.

Yes almost all of the Seventh Doctor seriels are low quality but Grade contrived to put Doctor Who in this position (poor funding, relegating it from Saturday nights). It was trying to restablish itself when it was cancelled and you were probably right that it needed to end or drastically change direction but no-one seemed to want the job and therefore JNT just carried on because that was the easiest option.

I still have misgivings about the current state of the show. Moffatt probably needs to decide where his loyalties lie.

• Like 1

Grade disliked SF, and is a good bogeyman (because, frankly, he is one - I hate cooking shows and dancing, but if I were controller of BBC1, I wouldn't kill off the Bake Off or Strictly, they have their own audiences) - but his predecessors became embarrassed by the theatrical nature of the show after Star Wars, and so responded by cutting the budget. Which was a bit stupid for a show that was making the BBC £100 for every pound spent on it, roughly, after distribution and merchandise profits.

JNT gets the short straw. The higher uppers clearly had the show in their sights before he took over, he had to deal with executive meddling and sod all money and everything from industrial action to guest actors being murdered. And most of the time wanting to leave the show, but being blackmailed in the old "if you go, the show goes" way into staying and killing off his own career - all whilst being pilloried by fans who assumed he was responsible for things going wrong. On the big picture, he managed to produce at least one good to great story a season despite that, and 2 of his 3 main actor castings were inspired. Sure, there was issues, and he was a paranoid, camp, probably perverted man with failings (he loved Colin's coat, you know), but given the hand he was played was entirely unwinnable, he did his best.

Eric Saward, on the other hand, was a complete sod. Resurrection of the Daleks has more on screen deaths than Terminator.

• Like 1

Grade disliked SF, and is a good bogeyman (because, frankly, he is one - I hate cooking shows and dancing, but if I were controller of BBC1, I wouldn't kill off the Bake Off or Strictly, they have their own audiences) - but his predecessors became embarrassed by the theatrical nature of the show after Star Wars, and so responded by cutting the budget. Which was a bit stupid for a show that was making the BBC £100 for every pound spent on it, roughly, after distribution and merchandise profits.

JNT gets the short straw. The higher uppers clearly had the show in their sights before he took over, he had to deal with executive meddling and sod all money and everything from industrial action to guest actors being murdered. And most of the time wanting to leave the show, but being blackmailed in the old "if you go, the show goes" way into staying and killing off his own career - all whilst being pilloried by fans who assumed he was responsible for things going wrong. On the big picture, he managed to produce at least one good to great story a season despite that, and 2 of his 3 main actor castings were inspired. Sure, there was issues, and he was a paranoid, camp, probably perverted man with failings (he loved Colin's coat, you know), but given the hand he was played was entirely unwinnable, he did his best.

Eric Saward, on the other hand, was a complete sod. Resurrection of the Daleks has more on screen deaths than Terminator.

Even the director of Resurrection acknowledges they went over the top but this story was meant to be the cliffhanger to the previous series and they had cast Mel Smith in the role that Rodney Bewes took and Miriam Margolys as Professor Laird (instead of Chloe Ashcroft) but this was scuppered by a strike. I would be intrigued to see that version but it still doesn't alter the fact that the script is a mess. Eric Saward's work does not really stand up to much scrutiny but is a bit like a rollercoaster ride but I would still like to know what happened in his episode 14 though.

• Like 1

The Saward episode 14. From memory, The Master saves the day, while the Doctor bumbles around looking like a fool. Typical Saward.

Incidentally, did you know Laurence Olivier was a fan of the show, and JNT heard that Olivier was interested in a role in the show? Do you know what he offered one of the UK's greatest actors? The mutant red shirt in episode one of Revelation of the Daleks!

He didn't accept.

• Like 2

Thanks for your responses but you have raised more questions for me!

"I still have misgivings about the current state of the show. Moffatt probably needs to decide where his loyalties lie." What, between Who and Sherlock?

"...his predecessors became embarrassed by the theatrical nature of the show after Star Wars, and so responded by cutting the budget." I can see the SW influence from latter Davison shows onward, though, albeit on that tiny budget. It is less stagey in general (not necessarily a good thing in Old Who's case. New Who by contrast has successfully shed the oldshow's theatrical, stagey nature.)

"...guest actors being murdered." WHAT???!!! I didn't know anything about this. What happened?!

"Eric Saward, on the other hand, was a complete sod. Resurrection of the Daleks has more on screen deaths than Terminator." No arguments from me there. It is a disgusting piece of television.

Ever seen Frontios? Peter Arne was cast in the role which later went to Peter Gilmore (of Onedin Line and DDP List of the Missed 2013 fame). Arne, who had a long held ambition to be in Who, was murdered shortly before recording. He had his Dr Who costume fitting on the day of the murder.

• Like 1

Yes almost all of the Seventh Doctor seriels are low quality

Remembrance of the Daleks

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Ghost Light

The Curse of Fenric

Survival

I beg to differ. That's a decent hit rate IMO...

• Like 2

Ever seen Frontios? Peter Arne was cast in the role which later went to Peter Gilmore (of Onedin Line and DDP List of the Missed 2013 fame). Arne, who had a long held ambition to be in Who, was murdered shortly before recording. He had his Dr Who costume fitting on the day of the murder.

Okay, I have never seen that one. Wow...

If I am in a generous mood, I am tempted to add The Happiness Patrol to the list of "good" McCoy stories. It was all too late after the damage Saward did, though, IMHO. I have never understood why people consider Peter Davison's Fifth Doctor to be pacifist, though, given he shoots the Cyberman in Earthshock and intends to kill Davros in Resurrection. Leaving aside Remebrance's infamous "genocide", McCoy is a much more pacifist Doctor.

Anyway, whatever we think of Michael Grade, least Whovians have the chance to see a revitalised series with decent actors and class production values these days. It's not like we'll never know what might have been.

Shouldn't this discussion be on the sci-fi TV thread? It's not really about John Hurt, is it?

• Like 2