YoungWillz

Dead Architects

On 03/02/2017 at 01:21, YoungWillz said:

Death Notice for Roderick Ham, who designed the Derby Playhouse, New Wolsey and Thorndike Theatres, aged 91. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/timesonline-uk/obituary.aspx?n=roderick-mathieson-ham&pid=183913341

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roderick_Ham

Here is a Guardian obituary. 

Leonard Manasseh, architect of the National Motor Museum and one of the last remaining architects from The Festival of Britain, has died aged 100. 

• Like 1

I.M.Pei turns 100 today. Lots of press mentions but no statement from the man himself, nor any statements about his current health, as far as I can see.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday Ieoh Ming Pei, probably the most notable living Architect !

It is a riddle to me why he has not been considered on official DL like O. Niemeyer some years ago.

However, he remains on my personal DL.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/2017/04/26/world-famous-architect-im-pei-turns-100/100911514/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Happy Birthday Ieoh Ming Pei, probably the most notable living Architect !

It is a riddle to me why he has not been considered on official DL like O. Niemeyer some years ago.

However, he remains on my personal DL.

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gallery/travel/2017/04/26/world-famous-architect-im-pei-turns-100/100911514/

To be fair Niemeyer was well over 100 when he went. Not sure what age he was when he first appeared on the list. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

To be fair Niemeyer was well over 100 when he went. Not sure what age he was when he first appeared on the list. 

Niemeyer was 94 years old when he first appeared in 2002 on the list and ten years later he died 104 years old in 2012.

In total he had 9 appearences before he went. so between 2002 and 2012 he was taken nearly in every year on the list.

• Like 2

Yes, but Oscar "Growing old is shit, you're shit, I hate people and I build stuff to look like tits" Niemeyer had a sort of grumpy notoriety, whereas I,M, Pei is just a really old dude.

Anyhow, iirc, someone once asked if Pei would get on the Deathlist and Grim or another of the Cmme laughed.

That was me. In my defence, I consider Pei more famous than Niemeyer...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

That was me. In my defence, I consider Pei more famous than Niemeyer...

Pei didn't build a building for the United Nations though, did he? Niemeyer did...

• Like 1

I mean, playing Family Fortunes/Pointless style "name a famous architect" will leave 99% of the population going "Wren? I think there was one called Wren?", but don't ask me, ask google...

FloUMIl.png

Living in a city full of their work, I can name Greek Thomson, Rennie Mackintosh and Pugin and Pugin, none of which help in deadpool terms due to being dead a century or more ago.

From an American perspective Frank Lloyd Wright has always been the first name to come to mind when I think of famous architects. No idea how well known he is across the pond though.

I'd think of Frank Gehry and Norman Foster. Both octogenarians. But arcitects tend to live long, it seems. Except for Zaha Hadid.

Marty Sklar, President of Concepts and Planning for the Walt Disney Company and International Ambassador for Imagineering, has died aged 83. He supervised the building of many parks including Tokyo Disneyland, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disneyland Paris, Disney's Animal Kingdom, and Hong Kong Disneyland. He was also a Disney Legend, a group of very old, obit-worthy people. 

Edit: Daily Mail has an obituary, as does The Sun.

David Marks, one half of the eponymous Marks Barfield, designers of the London Eye & i360, dead aged 64.

A construction industry architect instrumental in many iconic things in south Louisiana...
Robert H. Boh, who led the construction company founded by his father and uncle in an era when the firm helped build the Superdome and renovate Jackson Square, died Friday. He was 86. 
Boh Bros....played an integral part in the construction of the 36.9-mile stretch of I-10 from Lafayette to Grosse Tete in 1973. 
It's an amazing stretch of road, from Baton Rouge to Lafayette near where I live, traversing swamps and rivers.  Visually nothing like this road in the world.

SC

John C. Portman Jr., the architect and developer whose post-modernist, and sometimes controversial, style won him acclaim while altering the skylines of Atlanta and cities around the world died Friday. He was 93.

He designed the Renaissance Center, which is the most notable feature in the Detroit skyline. 
SC

First hit for Death Impends' B-Team. He will curse the day he didn't put this guy on his main team.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1