Rude Kid

Derby Dead Pool 2006

It would be much better if points were awared out of 10 through 2 scales.

Age and popularity.

For example: 100+ =1, 85-100= 2, 70-85=3, 50-70=4, 18-70=5.

This makes more sense as being a deadpool of famous people, they are likely to die in old age. What is the point of giving the higest number of points to a group of 30-40 year olds?

At the same time, there should be a scale for the number of times a particular celebrity has been chosen. I mean, who doesn't have Ariel Sharon on their 2007 list?

1-10= 5, 10-25=4, 25-50=3, 50-75=2, 75-100 = 1, 100+ = 0.

So say a 86 year old who appeared on 54 list die:

2+2= 4 points.

A 72 year old on 23 lists:

3+4=7 points

Then you would do all the bonus shite.

Then again, what do I know...

That to me is over complicating things, one of the attractions of the DDP is its straight forward scoring system. I wouldn't want to see it made any more complicated than the new proposals state.

Although I would be happy to see under 18's disallowed, that's one moral quagmire I'd be glad not to have to consider wading into.

It's their deadpool, their rules, so whatever the DDP organisers decide is fine by me, I'll just tailor my team to whatever rules they choose.

Although I hope they stick to their proposed changes and don't over complicate things.

I bet that whatever they do, we can think of something even more complicated for the HDP. :(

Age and popularity.

This makes more sense as being a deadpool of famous people, they are likely to die in old age. What is the point of giving the higest number of points to a group of 30-40 year olds?

At the same time, there should be a scale for the number of times a particular celebrity has been chosen. I mean, who doesn't have Ariel Sharon on their 2007 list?

2+2= 4 points.

A 72 year old on 23 lists:

3+4=7 points

Then you would do all the bonus shite.

That to me is over complicating things, one of the attractions of the DDP is it's straight forward scoring system. I wouldn't want to see it made any more complicated than the new proposals state.

Although I would be happy to see under 18's disallowed, that's one moral quagmire I'd be glad not to have to consider wading into.

It's not that complictated.

It's their deadpool, their rules, so whatever the DDP organisers decide is fine by me, I'll just tailor my team to whatever rules they choose.

Although I hope they stick to their proposed changes and don't over complicate things.

I bet that whatever they do, we can think of something even more complicated for the HDP. :(

Please don't make your's even more complicated. Only just got a handle on my list for next year on this years rules.

Age and popularity.

2+2= 4 points.

Windsor's scoring system in terms of age is a good suggestion, but the age ranges need to be reduced a bit. 50 - 70 is too big a gap, as is the 18-50 (which I think Windsor really meant instead of the 18-70 that he typed) What I really oppose is the bonus system that awards points based on how many times a celebrity has been chosen. I am for keeping the extra point for a unique pick and no additional points if more than 1 person has selected the candidate.

Here's what I sent the DDP boys...

I'm tempted to think that If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Don't be distracted by all these new fangled deadpools with their arbitrary scoring systems.

DDP is the best one, beause it's one of the eldest and one of the simplest.

Then again, maybe it needs spicing up a bit.

A simpler way of separating tied teams is to calculate the average age of

the dead celeb. Or the number of hits. For instance, I'm currently tied 9th with

The Doffin' Codgers. Number of hits: I would win (7-5). Average age: Doffin' would win

(64-81), so naturally number of hits should be the first decider!

Maybe 10 points for a hit:

-4 (90+)

-3 (80-89)

-2 (70-79)

-1 (60-69)

-0 (19-59)

Under 18s should be excluded.

Partypooper bonus sounds OK because that sort of thing often happens.

Maybe 5 points for Xmas Day/New Years Day, -1 for the days either side/New Years Eve.

Maybe even increase the lists to 25....

Hope this is helpful

<_<

Afternoon all.

Well, you bunch of Luddites! <_< The scoring system definitely needs overhauling - it's just too dull (not least for us) with all those teams stuck on the same number of points, and almost every death being worth either 4 or 5 points.

So far, we've got 60-odd votes in, and they're about 85% in favour of the new system and evenly split as to whether we allow under-18s or not. We'll be closing the voting and making the final decisions on Wednesday, so if anyone has any thoughts on the matter that they haven't yet sent in, get on with it!

In the meantime, to answer a few points that have been raised here and in the emails we've received:

• Points based on 125 minus the person's age - I like it (certainly better than 100 minus the age, which has been suggested before). Will consider this as an alternative to the proposed banding.
  • Points based on number of times the person has been selected as well as their age - Potentially confusing - as has been said, I think part of the reason for the DDP's popularity is its simplicity. Plus I don't want to encourage ever more obscure picks - they take time to research, and we get complaints from people who've never heard of them, which are hard to refute when we haven't either!
  • Increase the number of picks per team - Enough people (especially newbies) whinge about not being able to think of 20 as it is!
  • Will you still be allowing prisoners on Death Row to be selected? - Yes, due to the unpredictability of when/whether their sentence will be carried out. Mirza Tahir Hussain was suddenly freed the other day, just a few weeks after being sentenced to hang at the end of the year, and even Saddam Hussein has an appeal left.
  • Does execution qualify for the new "unnatural causes" bonus? - Nope; murder, suicide and accidents only. Granted, execution's pretty unnatural, but we couldn't think of a better phrase.
  • I don't like the new bonuses - The point of them is to try to introduce some randomness and stop the competition becoming a very few horse race from about March onwards, but without going overboard and letting someone with a flukey hit or two beat someone with a solid array of hits. If they don't work, we can always scrap them after a year.

Any more thoughts welcome!

- RK

So far, we've got 60-odd votes in, and they're about 85% in favour of the new system and evenly split as to whether we allow under-18s or not. We'll be closing the voting and making the final decisions on Wednesday, so if anyone has any thoughts on the matter that they haven't yet sent in, get on with it!

In the meantime, to answer a few points that have been raised here and in the emails we've received:

• I don't like the new bonuses - The point of them is to try to introduce some randomness and stop the competition becoming a very few horse race from about March onwards If they don't work, we can always scrap them after a year.

At the risk of sounding all snivelling henchman like, I think that's very fair.

Plus I don't want to encourage ever more obscure picks - they take time to research, and we get complaints from people who've never heard of them, which are hard to refute when we haven't either!

Sorry in advance, then. <_<

Increase the number of picks per team - Enough people (especially newbies) whinge about not being able to think of 20 as it is!

Bah humbug! Then let the newbies list all they can come up & those who are having trouble putting 41 in 20 places have extra! :P

Where are the new rules? I can't find them.

Afternoon all.

Well, you bunch of Luddites! <_< The scoring system definitely needs overhauling - it's just too dull (not least for us) with all those teams stuck on the same number of points, and almost every death being worth either 4 or 5 points.

• Points based on 125 minus the person's age - I like it (certainly better than 100 minus the age, which has been suggested before). Will consider this as an alternative to the proposed banding.
  • Points based on number of times the person has been selected as well as their age - Potentially confusing - as has been said, I think part of the reason for the DDP's popularity is its simplicity. Plus I don't want to encourage ever more obscure picks - they take time to research, and we get complaints from people who've never heard of them, which are hard to refute when we haven't either!
  • Increase the number of picks per team - Enough people (especially newbies) whinge about not being able to think of 20 as it is!
  • Will you still be allowing prisoners on Death Row to be selected? - Yes, due to the unpredictability of when/whether their sentence will be carried out. Mirza Tahir Hussain was suddenly freed the other day, just a few weeks after being sentenced to hang at the end of the year, and even Saddam Hussein has an appeal left.
  • Does execution qualify for the new "unnatural causes" bonus? - Nope; murder, suicide and accidents only. Granted, execution's pretty unnatural, but we couldn't think of a better phrase.
  • I don't like the new bonuses - The point of them is to try to introduce some randomness and stop the competition becoming a very few horse race from about March onwards, but without going overboard and letting someone with a flukey hit or two beat someone with a solid array of hits. If they don't work, we can always scrap them after a year.

Any more thoughts welcome!

- RK

I agree with everything you say Rude Kid, and I'm quite happy to sound like a snivelling henchman.

Count me as a snivelling henchman along with TF and OoO, might have meself a DDP punt next time around.

It's a possibility on the DDP that there'll be an over 90's rule although popular opinion seems to favour subtracting the age of a nominee at death from 125 as a fairer system.

It's a possibility on the DDP that there'll be an over 90's rule although popular opinion seems to favour subtracting the age of a nominee at death from 125 as a fairer system.

No, I prefer Rude Kid and Siegfried Baboon's initial proposals, they seem perfectly fair to me.

I had some reservations, but if you take out under 18s, then it's OK with me.

It's gonna be a bloody challenge though! :)

I agree with most of the the proposed changes, but I do have some reservations about allowing people on deathrow to become candidates. Hopefully the under 18 group will be disallowed from being selected as candidates.

Regards,

ff

Well, far from liking the situation I suppose I will have to put up with it.

I'm submitting the team I made up for the old rules so that'll be fun. Can't remember who is on it though.

If we are suggesting that under 18 deaths are below the belt, how long will it be until be rule out terminal cancer...

I agree with most of the the proposed changes, but I do have some reservations about allowing people on deathrow to become candidates. Hopefully the under 18 group will be disallowed from being selected as candidates.

Regards,

ff

Deathrow candidates have always been allowed on the DDP, as Rude Kid said their deaths are far from guaranteed, not only that not but few deathrow executees are infamous enough to get UK obituaries, only a select few manage that.

Well, far from liking the situation I suppose I will have to put up with it.

I'm submitting the team I made up for the old rules so that'll be fun. Can't remember who is on it though.

If we are suggesting that under 18 deaths are below the belt, how long will it be until be rule out terminal cancer...

I'm sticking to my list of mostly oldies too. I'm not going to win anyway so it doesn't matter.

Regards,

ff

Deathrow candidates have always been allowed on the DDP, as Rude Kid said their deaths are far from guaranteed, not only that not but few deathrow executees are infamous enough to get UK obituaries, only a select few manage that.

True, but I think that although the rules allows it, it violates the spirit of the DDP. Aka being rewarded for good research in selecting candidates as opposed to shooting fish in a barrel. Sure there will be an occasional miss in selecting death row candidates, but 9 times out of 10 you are guaranteed a hit. Virtually a majority of the teams will have Saddam Hussein and his 2 henchmen, so the ddp will become the best out of 17 selections instead of 20.

Regards,

ff

True, but I think that although the rules allows it, it violates the spirit of the DDP. Aka being rewarded for good research in selecting candidates as opposed to shooting fish in a barrel. Sure there will be an ocasional miss in selecting death row candidates, but 9 times out of 10 you are guaranteed a hit. Virtually a majority of the teams will have Saddam Hussein and his 2 henchmen, so the ddp will become the best out of 17 selections instead of 20.

ff, if you can pick 9 out of 10 deathrow hits for '07 then I'd be amazed. If it were that easy someone would already have done it.

I bet significantly less than half of the '07 entrants have Saddam and his two chums on their list.

Thing is the United States Republicans are maintaining quite a through put of their death row inmates in Harris and Orange counties and in many other areas of Texas and the South. I would think it could be moderately easy to trawl through case load and match due dates and appeals likelihood. Excepting Saddam I've never yet listed a death row candidate but I've come across pro capital punishment and human rights sites which list those due to be killed and think it could be possible to put together a list of about 5 people who may get obits due to the issues at hand. The other side of the coin being Democratic gains in Washington that may limit the states ability to carry on these acts.

In passing I'm happy that Rude Kid says he is considering the 125 points per hit minus the persons age that I posted above. Still reflecting on in, to me it sounds a tad complicated but again it really seems to be a fair way to truly mark a persons relative standing and comparable value from those doing skilful research.

I bet significantly less than half of the '07 entrants have Saddam and his two chums on their list.

I'm very unlikely to name all three for starters. I'm putting old Barzan in for sure (as he has cancer as well, I understand), Saddam probably (age/other trial means it's not a definite), but the judge? Well, I don't know his age for starters, and if the two henchman get life in jail instead, that's a place wasted.

Just look at Michael Morales, or Norman Kember etc on the DDP this year. If it goes right, congratulations. But if it goes wrong, as it did for Dave's Drunk, Aye Dead Drunk, and Tim R, then that's 3 wasted places or a wasted joker.

Also, a lot of the newbies/"enter for the fun of it" will only name Saddam. Let's say 250 teams enter, I would imagine no more than 75 are likely to pick Barzan Al-Tikriti, for one, Awad al Bandar for two.

It's easy enough also to find which US prisoners will be executed in 2007, it's quite another to know if a UK obit is forthcoming - Clarence Ray Allen's age & State (ie Arnie after Tookie Williams furore) was a educated guess, but others often don't make news in the US much, let alone the UK...

But yes, a team of 20 executions is possible. But I don't think that person who would be brave enough to do that will end up winning.

Alan "Fluff" Freeman's death gives 5 points to these lucky teams,

A Kick In The Ghoulies

Brown Bread

Colin's Corpses

Condi's Ill-Considered Probabilities

Dead Certs

Hardwood Surround

L C And The Sunshine Band

Madonna's Hand of Bod

Norfolk & Chance

Palace98

The Doom & Gloom Room

Toasted Brown Bread

Well done to our very own Death Watch Beatle (Brown Bread) who has had four hits in about a month

and rocketed up in equal 7th place. Respect! :shoot:

Just got this Email from Rude Kid:-

Cheers for your feedback. Final details to be announced later in the week, but I think we're agreed on the under-16s and the over-100s (maybe over-110s too).

So I guess the DDP will still be staying on giving points in a banded layout, but with the lower band starting at aged 16 and rigged to giving more value to young ill people that those who die in old age.

I was going to add one or two further suggestions should they run with the 125 point hit minus age, in that those extra points for a hit on a 13th of the month, those dieing on Christmas Day and New years Eve gaining 13, 25 & 31 extra points respectivly. But it looks to me we will just have those extra basic bands.