Sir Creep

DL Dead Pools

Why not? You're not obliged to take part in them all.

• Like 1

Okay I'll add the caveat, at least not until admins get round to making the new forum. Most of the existing deadpools are variations of each other, the Windy City Deadpool for example is a poor-mans HPDP.

Okay I'll add the caveat, at least not until admins get round to making the new forum. Most of the existing deadpools are variations of each other, the Windy City Deadpool for example is a poor-mans HPDP.

Yes, I made that comparison myself :)

Good idea, Bibgryph.

I don't have anything against it but I guess you should wait until there's a new sub-forum because most folks seem to think we're getting crowded with deadpools.

Now I've had a chance to read it over, sounds like an interesting idea, Biblio.

Would there be any interest in a Poker Tournament Dead Pool?

Basically the idea is this. You pick 25 names. That's it. Then I would allocate a playing card from Random.org to each of your picks in the order you list them. If your pick dies within the period of the game you gain points, say, 3 for a "famous" pick, 1 for a FFBI pick.

Bonuses would be awarded for poker hands as follows:

High Card (i.e. an Ace) - 5 Points

Pair (Two cards of same value) - 10 Points

Two Pair (Two Cards of same value plus two cards of a separate value) - 15 Points

Three of a Kind (Three of same value) - 20 Points

Straight (5 Cards of any suit forming a sequence e.g. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) - 30 Points

Flush (5 Cards of any value of the same suit) - 40 Points

Full House (Three cards of the same value, and two of another value) - 80 Points

Four of a Kind (Four cards of the same value) - 100 Points

Straight Flush including a Royal Flush (Five cards forming a sequence of the same suit) - 150 points.

Bonuses would be cumulative. So say early on you gain say, a pair. If you subsequently gain another pair you would get the bonus for the second pair (10 points) plus the bonus for two pair (15 Points). If you made a straight, say 5-6-7-8-9, then hit a sixth death with a 10 allocated, you would gain an additional straight bonus for 6-7-8-9-10.

Winner has the most points at the end of the game. DDP Obit rules in force from time to time would apply. No Jokers or Uniques rules.

I'm thinking it could be 6 monthly to replace the Deathlist Cup from July to December, but I could make it a yearly one. Sounds complex but it would become apparent as the game went on and maybe I've not thought of potential problems, so any input would be appreciated.

Appreciate you are in the lap of the gods with the randomness of the cards drawn, but that would add to the fun, and with 25 names you are getting almost half the pack anyway.

Decided to place it here, rather than just open it, in case there's not much interest, after all there's loads of pools already.

• Like 5

Sounds like a good idea. 

• Like 1

I'll support it. B)

• Like 1

I would be up for it.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll open this up in June for entries, to start July 1.

Cheers, guys.

• Like 3

In keeping with the recent sports team for new deadpools, I came up with a deadpool somewhat similar to the NFL season and playoffs.

Say, from January to September there is a "regular season" where a group of say, 32 deadpoolers is divided into 8 divisions and every fortnight they compete against a different deadpooler for who can get the most hits in those two weeks. 

Then from the start of September to the end of December are the "playoffs" where the 8 division leaders as well as a couple wild-cards maybe (some of the better ranking non-leaders) compete in an elimination-style competition until a winner is crowned.

I'd start it myself, but I've got the Windy City Deadpool to take care of, plus - and I don't want to reveal too much - but I am negotiating plans to take over a popular deadpool starting next year (no, it's not the DDP, are you fucking nuts? :P)

So, basically, if anyone is interested in hosting something like this: feel free to do it.

• Like 1

I suspect I know which dead pool it is, and I won't say which one for privacy purposes. I do like the idea of RadGuy's dead pool though. I won't be running it, as I got The Joker's Dead Pool (if the DDP continues of course), and the Advent Avalanche around Christmas as my main dead pools.

Hmm, feels like there's an obvious thing to do. Has anyone done it? You know what I mean.

6 hours ago, msc said:

Hmm, feels like there's an obvious thing to do. Has anyone done it? You know what I mean.

I'm afraid I'm too dull to figure out what you're hinting at.

On 06/05/2017 at 16:31, RadGuy said:

I'm afraid I'm too dull to figure out what you're hinting at.

Dunno - unless he means actually start that league that's being discussed above

Right, I'm about to open up the Poker Tournament Deadpool.

Few rule tweaks:

The bonuses are so valuable and cumulative that we should be looking for notables and FFBI picks will be excluded. FFBI is in the opinion of the game runner. The rule basically excludes anyone famous or infamous for their illness or anything consequential to their illness. This therefore in general excludes campaigners, fundraisers, bloggers, authors of books on their illness and the like. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis, but competitors are actively discouraged from giving the game runner a hard time! Death row inmates or anyone under sentence of death whether at the start of the game or for its duration are excluded completely. With regard to terrorists of any hue, confirmation in a qualifying obit of their death by the terrorist organisation to which they belong will suffice. The Strickland/Lucan Rule excludes anyone missing as at the start of the game, or anyone dead and who is officially declared to be dead during the game by judicial or other authority under presumption of death laws. For the avoidance of doubt, someone who famous simply for their longevity is included, but they must still obviously garner a qualifying obit.

The game will open on 1 July and deaths on 1 July according to official sources up to and including 31 December will count. Therefore a pick who is subsequently found to have died before commencement but after the game has started is excluded and a substitute will be inserted in place of that person (if a sub has been provided by the player). The game will be terminated at midnight on the turn between 7/8 January, to allow time for news of death to be published (the Dietz-Werner Steck rule).

Deaths will garner 100 points.

The game runner will be allowed to enter a team. That team will be published in the thread at commencement of opening entries, but to avoid influence (the Toast Rule) an x will represent a letter of the person's name, but the cards allocated will be revealed, for example:

XXX XXXXXXXXXXX - 5 Spades would be revealed at the start of the game as

Roy Barraclough - 5 Spades.

It's supposed to be fun and the antidote to the loss of the Deathlist Cup.

Any further suggestions appreciated as I'm preparing a team and likely to open this tomorrow.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Right, I'm about to open up the Poker Tournament Deadpool.

Few rule tweaks:

The bonuses are so valuable and cumulative that we should be looking for notables and FFBI picks will be excluded. FFBI is in the opinion of the game runner. The rule basically excludes anyone famous or infamous for their illness or anything consequential to their illness. This therefore in general excludes campaigners, fundraisers, bloggers, authors of books on their illness and the like. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis, but competitors are actively discouraged from giving the game runner a hard time! Death row inmates or anyone under sentence of death whether at the start of the game or for its duration are excluded completely. With regard to terrorists of any hue, confirmation in a qualifying obit of their death by the terrorist organisation to which they belong will suffice. The Strickland/Lucan Rule excludes anyone missing as at the start of the game, or anyone dead and who is officially declared to be dead during the game by judicial or other authority under presumption of death laws. For the avoidance of doubt, someone who famous simply for their longevity is included, but they must still obviously garner a qualifying obit.

The game will open on 1 July and deaths on 1 July according to official sources up to and including 31 December will count. Therefore a pick who is subsequently found to have died before commencement but after the game has started is excluded and a substitute will be inserted in place of that person (if a sub has been provided by the player). The game will be terminated at midnight on the turn between 7/8 January, to allow time for news of death to be published (the Dietz-Werner Steck rule).

Deaths will garner 100 points.

The game runner will be allowed to enter a team. That team will be published in the thread at commencement of opening entries, but to avoid influence (the Toast Rule) an x will represent a letter of the person's name, but the cards allocated will be revealed, for example:

XXX XXXXXXXXXXX - 5 Spades would be revealed at the start of the game as

Roy Barraclough - 5 Spades.

It's supposed to be fun and the antidote to the loss of the Deathlist Cup.

Any further suggestions appreciated as I'm preparing a team and likely to open this tomorrow.

What is the criteria for FFBI? Say for instance if someone is dating but has another claim to fame say by association of someone famous does that count say for example someone's sister or mother?

Just now, Shaun of the Dead said:

What is the criteria for FFBI? Say for instance if someone is dating but has another claim to fame say by association of someone famous does that count say for example someone's sister or mother?

My idea is the person should be famous or infamous in their own right.

So no Eddie Fryer or Liam Payne's missus for example.

But I think Cher's mother would count for example, given she was someone famous.

In other words, don't give me a hard time! :lol:

• Like 1

What about the centenarian mother of a senior US politician?:P

Just now, YoungWillz said:

My idea is the person should be famous or infamous in their own right.

So no Eddie Fryer or Liam Payne's missus for example.

But I think Cher's mother would count for example, given she was someone famous.

In other words, don't give me a hard time! :lol:

In other words, someone like one of the Nolan sisters or Samantha Cameron fine because famous in own right, but a, say, tracy McGiffin is out?

Not complaining, just clarifying.

• Like 3

Just now, Shaun of the Dead said:

What about the centenarian mother of a senior US politician?:P

Good point. But not notable for longevity in her own right (even though I have her for the Generation Game).

2 minutes ago, msc said:

In other words, someone like one of the Nolan sisters or Samantha Cameron fine because famous in own right, but a, say, tracy McGiffin is out?

Not complaining, just clarifying.

Absolutely right.

• Like 1

So a parent can count, but a sister can't. Or am I missing something.

Edit: I get it now. Nevermind 

Can I PM you my entry later today YW?

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

So a parent can count, but a sister can't. Or am I missing something.

Only a notable parent, for example Debbie Reynolds, Georgia Holt yes, Roberta McCain no.

1 minute ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Can I PM you my entry later today YW?

Well, if you insist. What will happen is you will be allocated your cards and you will be notified by PM of the allocation. All teams will appear on a masterlist once we are under way.

Anyone who chooses to post their team in the thread like a crazy will get their card allocation notified there.

Question: Am I being too strict here? Given we only have six months...

The idea is definitely to exclude FFBI and try and garner notable persons (FFACOSK - Famous For A Contribution Of Some Kind). The whole world is available and there's plenty of famous people: Nobel Laureates, Criminals, Sports People, Politicians, even Reality TV stars, blah blah blah. Crikey, even Diane Torr would have qualified!

The games here have a serious tendency to favour the sick and sick alone. I'd like this one to have a uniqueness about it if at all possible - in fact the entries for the Hare's Pool were nearest to what I'd expect, although a few campaigners got through on the rules.

Up to the gang....

• Like 1