Sir Creep

DL Dead Pools

I've just thought of a Deadpool so fiendishly obvious, I'm amazed no-one has thought of it before.

I'm still working out the details, but will post here later. I would plan to run it for 2021. Loads of points though!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I've just thought of a Deadpool so fiendishly obvious, I'm amazed no-one has thought of it before.

I'm still working out the details, but will post here later. I would plan to run it for 2021. Loads of points though!

Cast members of Deadpool film franchise or people from Derby? :-)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Cast members of Deadpool film franchise or people from Derby? :-)

Neither. Think All Stars.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Is there scope in this deadpool to use piss-boilingly obscure names that no cunt has ever heard of before?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Is there scope in this deadpool to use piss-boilingly obscure names that no cunt has ever heard of before?

Probably not, but not so harsh as the Poker tourney, lol. I'll firm up an outline soon.

So here's the idea. Just a general outline, feel free to pick holes in it so we can firm up rules.

Basically, it would be called something like the All In One Deadpool, Comprehensive Dead Pool or something suggested by the assembled throng. This would effectively utilise all of the current dead pools.

Usual rules about 18+, human, not missing, terrorists, death row prisoners etc from the DDP and Poker Tourney. Persons would have to have a wiki page created on or before 30 November in the preceding year of the game and entries would open early December for start for deaths on 1 January through to 31 December. No Raymond Hewlett rule - deaths before the start found after the start would be subject to subbing in a sub - that could happen any time during the period of the game.

25 names and as many subs as you'd think - you'd probably not need more than 5 and certainly not as many as 10.

So the rules would be:

• The DDP rule: If your pick dies, you receive the same number of points as you would on the DDP, subject to obtaining a QO equivalent to that for the DDP.
  •  
  • The Deathrace Rule: If your pick dies, you receive the same number of points as you would on the Deathrace, subject to obtaining a QO equivalent to that for the Deathrace.
  •  
  • The Hare's Pool Rule: If your pick dies, you receive the same number of points as you would on the Hare's, subject to obtaining a QO equivalent to that for the Hare's. This excludes the end of year and all deaths bonuses.
  •  
  • The Hartlepool Rule: If one of your top ten picks dies with a DDP equivalent obit, you would simply receive additional points based on the simplest calculation, i.e. 50 Points for Pick 1, 45 Points for Pick 2 and so on down to 5 Points for Pick 10. None of the other bonuses would apply.
  •  
  • The Death By Numbers Rule: If your pick dies, you receive the same number of points as you would on the DBN, subject to obtaining a QO equivalent to that for the DBN.
  •  
  • The Windy City Rule: If your pick dies, you receive the same number of points as you would on the WC, subject to obtaining a QO equivalent to that for the WC. This would exclude the bonuses available in that game.
  •  
  • The MMMDP/Advent Avalanche Rules: If your pick dies on 1 June up to and including 22 June - 200 Points. If your pick dies on 1 December up to and including 25 December - 200 Points.
  •  
  • The Joker Rule: If your pick is also a Joker on the DDP and they die with a DDP equivalent obit - 50 Points.
  •  
  • The Inverse Rule: If your pick is one of the 50 names selected for the Inverse Pool when it starts (that is, excluding deaths between 1 January and the start of the Inverse Pool) and they die, with or without a QO, you will be penalised the appropriate number of points depending on where they appear on your main team. So that would mean a deduction of 25 Points for your #1 Pick down to 1 Point for your #25 Pick. Obviously you are running blind on this one given the announcement doesn't happen until mid-January, but it's all exciting, isn't it?
  •  
  • The Prediction Game Rule: If your pick dies and is also picked for the Deathlist - 50 Points.
  •  
  • The Poker Rule: If your pick dies with a Poker Tourney equivalent obit, a card will be drawn from Random.org and you will receive the number points equivalent to the value of the card (A = 14 Points, K = 13 Points, down to 2 = 2 Points. If all your picks die on or after 1 July up to and including 31 December - 500 Points.
  •  
  • I can't think of a Deathlist Cup Rule so off the top of my head, if all your picks die on or after 1 January up to and including 30 June - 500 Points.
  •  

I'm open to QO changes if you think, but opening up some such as WaPo or NYT for the DDP kinda ruins the ethos of the individual pool. All Points equivalence/QOs would be as for the relevant Pool as at 1 January.

Worth doing?

On reflection, possibly could increase the penalty for the Inverse aspect - increase the jeopardy!

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

On reflection, possibly could increase the penalty for the Inverse aspect - increase the jeopardy!

Do they have to be hits on the respective other games or just in general?

I can also see the Inverse and Prediction rules playing merry havoc with each other.

Sounds like chaos but might be worth a shot - folk aren't forced to play the various games and I remember way back when folk complained there weren't enough games...:D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Do they have to be hits on the respective other games or just in general?

I can also see the Inverse and Prediction rules playing merry havoc with each other.

Sounds like chaos but might be worth a shot - folk aren't forced to play the various games and I remember way back when folk complained there weren't enough games...:D

I don't think you would have to have a hit on the other games. I've noticed some folk don't participate in some games and prefer others. This way you kind of get to play most of the games, but you aren't really because you don't get the bonuses associated with the other games. So folk could still play the other games knowing they don't get penalties or some such.

Yeah, maybe double the Inverse Pool jeopardy? Triple it? Ha, as I say just an outline. It'd be easy for me, I'd just run my finger down each pick and add up the points associated.

Just now, YoungWillz said:

I don't think you would have to have a hit on the other games. I've noticed some folk don't participate in some games and prefer others. This way you kind of get to play most of the games, but you aren't really because you don't get the bonuses associated with the other games. So folk could still play the other games knowing they don't get penalties or some such.

Yeah, maybe double the Inverse Pool jeopardy? Triple it? Ha, as I say just an outline. It'd be easy for me, I'd just run my finger down each pick and add up the points associated.

My suggestion is be wary on the Inverse points because whilst we know it'll hit "C-lister with terminal cancer at Christmas" picks it'll also hurt the most A list names in the game and you don't want people forgoing the likes of the Queen or Philip or what not for fear of losing too many points?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

My suggestion is be wary on the Inverse points because whilst we know it'll hit "C-lister with terminal cancer at Christmas" picks it'll also hurt the most A list names in the game and you don't want people forgoing the likes of the Queen or Philip or what not for fear of losing too many points?

I'm thinking the loads of points available on the Deathrace/Hare's kinda balances that out.

46 minutes ago, msc said:

I looked at (very possible) Prince Philip. Say you picked him at #1 in your team of 25, assuming he dies today:

DDP - 8 points (5 + Drop 40)

Deathrace/Hares - 366 Points (Leap Year)

Hartlepool - 50 Points

DBN - 21 Points

Windy City - 500 Points

Joker - 50 Points

Inverse - minus 25 Points

Prediction - 50 Points

Poker - Random Card 7 Clubs - 7 Points

So not including bonuses for say dying on his birthday which would also have given a 200 Point bonus for a MMMDP hit, the Inverse penalty as it stands doesn't really make much difference. But hey, it might be worth keeping low. I think next year's top 50 for the Inverse might be the most unpredictable in a while, given who has died this year.

• Like 1

I am thinking of Starting a game in 2021 where every hit needs to have an obituary in either The Times of London or the New York Times and double points if an obituary appears in both. Thinking of using teams of 15 and points for year of birth? Anyone interested?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I am thinking of Starting a game in 2021 where every hit needs to have an obituary in either The Times of London or the New York Times and double points if an obituary appears in both. Thinking of using teams of 15 and points for year of birth? Anyone interested?

To avoid the cluster of calendar year games you could run it across the financial year...

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

To avoid the cluster of calendar year games you could run it across the financial year...

Maybe - might test my skills with a February only mini game first through.

• Like 2

Just now, The Old Crem said:

Maybe - might test my skills with a February only mini game first through.

I will probably play

I did a draft write-up for a new deadpool a few weeks back, hoping to release to the public within the next few weeks for a January start.

As a teaser, it’s called the PuntPool. And I’ll add a small charity element to it, much like our esteemed member for Maryport does.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

PuntPool

Is that a typo?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, time said:

Is that a typo?

It's a refreshing idea, isn't it? A deadpool with just one rule: your pick has to be a cunt.

11 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

It's a refreshing idea, isn't it? A deadpool with just one rule: your pick has to be a cunt.

No, I meant HuntPool

See the source image

Actually, as you were...

• Like 2

Am I correct in believing that the deadpools starting January 1st are:

• Derby Dead Pool
  • Death by Numbers
  • Hares Death Pool
  • Deathrace
  • DL Prediction Game (this will also be over Jan 1)
  • Hartlepool Deadlypool
  • Centenarians Deadpool
  • Crowdsource Deathlist
  • Punt Pool
  • Electoral Deadpool

2 hours ago, Dying Probably said:

Am I correct in believing that the deadpools starting January 1st are:

• Derby Dead Pool
  • Death by Numbers
  • Hares Death Pool
  • Deathrace
  • DL Prediction Game (this will also be over Jan 1)
  • Hartlepool Deadlypool
  • Centenarians Deadpool
  • Crowdsource Deathlist
  • Punt Pool
  • Electoral Deadpool

Worth noting entries close for these at the end of the 30th, not the 31st.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's also the off-site altobits deadpool which runs from 1st January.

Starting on Jan 1st there will be 20/20 + 1 Deadpool starting. So you can research your teams but no submission until the New Year

• Like 2