themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

Yeah, if it took a "week to find his body" he had to have been dead in 2015. Otherwise we could just have Richey Edwards and Glenn Miller as DDP picks.

If you're having them, I'm going for Amelia Earhart & Lord Lucan.

And Shergar. There's obviously wiggle-room in the rules!

• Like 1

Yeah, if it took a "week to find his body" he had to have been dead in 2015. Otherwise we could just have Richey Edwards and Glenn Miller as DDP picks.

ok then I'm taking Suzy Lamplugh, Jimmy Hoffa and D.B. Cooper

• Like 1

"Frey wrote the band's breakthrough hit 'Take it Easy' from 1972 and co-wrote with drummer Don Henley their definfing anthem, the reggae-tinged 'Hotel California' in 1976."

Sorry to be a pedant MiB, but Take it Easy was written by Jackson Browne and given to Frey. Hotel California was written by Don Felder the guitarist, with lyrics added by Henley and Frey. Also, "reggae-tinged"?! However, as for the heat is on, he wrote that all by himself, and doesn't it show.

Are we starting a pedant's corner for the DDP now? Because if so, I'd like to point out it was Hassan Asif's mother who was denied a visa, not Hassan himself.

You can tell I was in a hurry, can't you! ;)

Or Amelia Earhart! Or Czar Alexander I

Edit: Eh, sorry time...I only saw Phantom's escalation.

Ooh, a stewards inquiry. Interesting...

Or Amelia Earhart! Or Czar Alexander I

Edit: Eh, sorry time...I only saw Phantom's escalation.

Edward V, and Richard of Shrewsbury haven't been taken. (Well they were taken to the Tower, but no one's seen them since)

• Like 1

Hmmm. Maybe I was a bit hasty. However, Alex Higgins was found dead on July 24th 2010 but it is speculated that he might have died some time earlier as he wasn't found for several days, but 24/07/2010 is officially down as his death date.

Maybe we need some sort of official confirmation of this?

Maybe for disappearance cases there needs to be some sort of proof they were alive in the year of their body's discovery to qualify for points? In Higgins's case, there was absolute proof he was alive in 2010, even if it took a few days for them to find his body.

• Like 1

[On second thoughts, uneasy with post so deleted. Apologies.]

And then there's the Steve Fossett issue. Legally declared dead in February 2008, but it is considered that he died in September 2007.

Quote from DDP 2008 (when Octopus of Odstock was in charge):

Record-setting round-the-world sailor and hot air balloon pilot. Died in a light airplane crash on the 3rd September 2007 and this is why no points can be awarded, despite the discovery in 2008.
  • Like 1

Looked on Wikipedia (if that's any reliable guide) and that has Strickland as having died on December 27th 2015.

Would this article count as an obit for Delpech?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jan/15/when-alan-rickman-was-a-star-at-the-bar

No.

Or this article for Galabru?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35256433

Yes as it mentions him by name and that he died.

Intriguing on the Strickland case. His boat was supposed to have capsized on 26 December, his body being found 9 days later on 4 January. His widow claims hypothermia, by which I presume profound hypothermia, showing no vital signs. But a determination of death cannot be made even in such cases until the body is returned to what would be normal body temperature in such circumstances, something that could not have been done until he was discovered. But it is likely than when hypothermia set in, he'd probably have been dead from cardiac arrest or lack of brain function within a few hours - but that depends when it set in.

TMIB's ball as someone else said on here, up to him if he awards the points imo.

The onus isn't on TMIB or anyone else to prove Strickland died after Dec 31. Rather it's on the person who was a damned fool to use his name to prove he DID. Is the argument if the body was found in October that he lived in the woods for 10 months? Asinine.

This is an extremely closed case IMHO.

SC

Hmm, the arguments rage Sir C, I see both points of view. Looks like he was declared dead on the 4 January, but that's of little import - you could have a declaration of death for someone missing for 7 years (in Scotland that's the case, anyway).

Was he widely believed to be alive at the turn of the New Year? A triumph of hope over pessism? Possible solution is to remove him from the game, given the doubt and put the first sub in for the team that picked him, rather than denying them any points at all.

But in the end in the big scheme of things, does it really matter?

• Like 1

Imo the teams that picked should just have 1 of their backups take his spot. Similiar to how if you picked Natalie Cole who's Dec 31 death was not made public until Jan 1. At this point there has been nothing that has him definitely alive as of Jan 1.

• Like 1

Guest I D I O T

What a discussion.

Isn't it obvious: It was not illegal to pick him. The risk was the date of death. So - since he died in 2015, the points should not be given.

Not the first person to be nominated while being already dead. I remember a Brazilian actress Who died in the 1980s, but was chosen while this was yet unconfirmed. That's part of the game...

What a discussion.

Isn't it obvious: It was not illegal to pick him. The risk was the date of death. So - since he died in 2015, the points should not be given.

Not the first person to be nominated while being already dead. I remember a Brazilian actress Who died in the 1980s, but was chosen while this was yet unconfirmed. That's part of the game...

Of course it's not illegal.

You are precisely correct. The person bore that risk. Had points been given (as originally done) it would have been up to US (as is what happened) to show he died before Jan 1. I didn't agree to take on that risk---said risk was that of (or should be) the team that selected Strickland.

I think we said the exact same thing, mate.

SC

Guest cbatologincunt

Hmmm. Maybe I was a bit hasty. However, Alex Higgins was found dead on July 24th 2010 but it is speculated that he might have died some time earlier as he wasn't found for several days, but 24/07/2010 is officially down as his death date.

Maybe we need some sort of official confirmation of this?

And then there's the Steve Fossett issue. Legally declared dead in February 2008, but it is considered that he died in September 2007.

Quote from DDP 2008 (when Octopus of Odstock was in charge):

Record-setting round-the-world sailor and hot air balloon pilot. Died in a light airplane crash on the 3rd September 2007 and this is why no points can be awarded, despite the discovery in 2008.

This sets up a pretty damn clear precedent:

• Died this year - award points
  • Died last year - don't award points
  • Uncertainty - award points - revoke if proven to have died last year.

Re. Craig Strickland

Didn't SIr Creep ask about his case before? I replied that the person has to "generally believed to be alive" to count, but now I can't find that rule anymore, did it change with the new year?

Anyway, now the relevant rule is this one:

Pick 20 different celebrities who are alive as at 1st January 2016, but who, in your opinion, will no longer be with us by 31st December 2016

"Alive" means drawing breath, not decomposing, that kind of thing.

My interpretation is that he does not count, because we cannot be sure that he was "alive", i.e. a suitable pick. Since we cannot exclude that he was already dead in 2015, he doesn't count.

In fact, the rule is now stricter than the "generally believed to be alive" rule. Natalie Cole would have counted under the latter rule, but wouldn't count anymore, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Cheers man. I wasn't sure tbh whether those counted

It's 3 days old. so if there's another one posted from another source, I'm sure it'll count.

Cheers man. I wasn't sure tbh whether those counted

Asian pages in UK newspapers are fine.

It is only Scottish Newspapers that have been excluded (despite the fact that the Daily Record and Herald combined sell approximately the same number of print copies as the Guardian and the Independent combined) (238,00 as opposed to 246,00)