themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

The team name "Can I Join The Derby Dead Pool?" is rather sweet.

Does anyone else think they just forgot to put in the team name?

• Like 3

I work with the brother-in-law of Una Stubbs' son-in-law (all the big stars). After asking him if the urban legend about her was true, I then had to explain to him what the urban legend was. Apparently it's never come up on the rare occasions they've met.

What urban legend?

Seriously, I know loads of them stories and most of the wacky ones about dead rock stars, but she's passed me by.

• Like 1

I work with the brother-in-law of Una Stubbs' son-in-law (all the big stars). After asking him if the urban legend about her was true, I then had to explain to him what the urban legend was. Apparently it's never come up on the rare occasions they've met.

What urban legend?

Seriously, I know loads of them stories and most of the wacky ones about dead rock stars, but she's passed me by.

On second thoughts

Glass topped coffee table, sex n' shit,

Bollocks, surely

Tempted to take a screenshot of that joint 9th place and frame it for future generations. :P

Biggest surprise, to me, in the Drop Forty is the number of people keeping faith with Helen Fawkes.

Tempted to take a screenshot of that joint 9th place and frame it for future generations. :P

I did just that when I (briefly) led the table one year! :lol:

Mind you, I stopped short of framing it ...

• Like 1

Guest Bööö

Does Craig Strickland score for sure?

According to Severin sources, he was dead before New Year's Eve...

This says he died "last month"

"Craig Strickland's wife revealed that her husband was buried under a cedar tree - the same type of tree he was found under after he died last month"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3400398/A-fitting-resting-place-Craig-Strickland-s-widow-reveals-country-singer-buried-type-tree-body-nine-days-going-missing-hunting-trip.html

No fucking way in hell.

Edit: scoring not DOD

My knickers were in a bunch

SC

This hit is the first to be affected by the rule changes regarding obits. Gordon Ross was the latest man to fight for the right to part- er to die but once again came up short against the Law Lords. He died aged 67. Last year he would have got his obit via the BBC, but as rule changes exclude pages from the isolated nations within the UK being used, it looked tough to get an obit. However The Times have come up with an obit, despite basically being the same sort of link. But I did not exclude the mainstream newspapers having this option, so it counts. Former champion Drunkasaskunk wipe their brow and collect a unique hit. There's always a work around!

Make an absolute mockery of the rules..

9th place! Probably won't ever get this far again.

• Like 1

With my estimated 8 points for George Weidenfeld I might get as high as joint 13th. Still a way off the leaders.

"Frey wrote the band's breakthrough hit 'Take it Easy' from 1972 and co-wrote with drummer Don Henley their definfing anthem, the reggae-tinged 'Hotel California' in 1976."

Sorry to be a pedant MiB, but Take it Easy was written by Jackson Browne and given to Frey. Hotel California was written by Don Felder the guitarist, with lyrics added by Henley and Frey. Also, "reggae-tinged"?! However, as for the heat is on, he wrote that all by himself, and doesn't it show.

"Frey wrote the band's breakthrough hit 'Take it Easy' from 1972 and co-wrote with drummer Don Henley their definfing anthem, the reggae-tinged 'Hotel California' in 1976."

Sorry to be a pedant MiB, but Take it Easy was written by Jackson Browne and given to Frey. Hotel California was written by Don Felder the guitarist, with lyrics added by Henley and Frey. Also, "reggae-tinged"?! However, as for the heat is on, he wrote that all by himself, and doesn't it show.

I stand corrected on the 'Take it Easy' part (only only going by what Wikipedia says and it also says that Frey did not write 'The Heat is on' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heat_Is_On_%28Glenn_Frey_song%29.)

As for 'Hotel California', that shuffling beat is definitely reggaeish to me and I'm no expert. Indeed the working title for the song was 'Mexican Reggae'.

• Like 1

I stand corrected on the 'Take it Easy' part (only only going by what Wikipedia says and it also says that Frey did not write 'The Heat is on' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heat_Is_On_(Glenn_Frey_song).)

As for 'Hotel California', that shuffling beat is definitely reggaeish to me and I'm no expert. Indeed the working title for the song was 'Mexican Reggae'.

Welcome to the Mexican Reggae.....I dunno, not the same vibe

SC

• Like 3

Are we starting a pedant's corner for the DDP now? Because if so, I'd like to point out it was Hassan Asif's mother who was denied a visa, not Hassan himself.

This says he died "last month"

"Craig Strickland's wife revealed that her husband was buried under a cedar tree - the same type of tree he was found under after he died last month"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3400398/A-fitting-resting-place-Craig-Strickland-s-widow-reveals-country-singer-buried-type-tree-body-nine-days-going-missing-hunting-trip.html

Yes, I was surprised to see that he was allowed. It always seemed highly unlikely that he survived his friend for long, if at all.

ETA Blimey, his missus looks remarkably cheerful in that graveside photo. :wacko:

Yeah, if it took a "week to find his body" he had to have been dead in 2015. Otherwise we could just have Richey Edwards and Glenn Miller as DDP picks.

• Like 3

Yeah, if it took a "week to find his body" he had to have been dead in 2015. Otherwise we could just have Richey Edwards and Glenn Miller as DDP picks.

No gravestone ! ! ! ! !

(yet)