Paul Bearer

Donald J Trump

54 minutes ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Not as smart as he thought he was.

As part of the process I think candidates should take a standardised IQ test. This process should operate in the UK as well. The problem with most politics is that people follow who wants to pay less tax and most of the people who manage the generated funds want to exploit them.

Trump will see a lot of skeletons.

IQ tests only measure one type of intelligence, and not really the type that matters.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

So, the author isn't exactly an admirer of Trump but some good points here in terms of how things might go to shit for him. A basic but solid argument being his current behaviour and life-events are turning off the undecided middle voters and his absence from major social media after the storming of the Capitol might have done him a favour that's now being undone as his charmless rants remind some undecided types of what he's really like. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/26/trump-is-vulnerable-biden-way-to-win

• Like 3

I think Mike Pompeo has a good chance of being a VP candidate given his experience and ability to attract moderate voters

Pompeo is an evangelical who has only been elected in Kansas. That's not a proven moderate.

Trump already has the rapture freaks on lock.

A debate between Trumo and Biden will basically be a battle to see who is first to make a major cognitive error.

3 hours ago, lilham said:

A Republican moderate is like, Lisa Murkowski. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Lisa_Murkowski

Jesus, do all US Senators have 5 million word essays on their political beliefs on Wikipedia? You guys should have the best informed voter base in the world if everyone took the time to read that before casting a ballot. I know more about her political positions in one paragraph of that article than I know about my own local MP's views on everything through scraping through his entire social media accounts. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

Jesus, do all US Senators have 5 million word essays on their political beliefs on Wikipedia? You guys should have the best informed voter base in the world if everyone took the time to read that before casting a ballot. I know more about her political positions in one paragraph of that article than I know about my own local MP's views on everything through scraping through his entire social media accounts. 

She notably won election in the general via write-in campaign, after losing the Republican primary. She cares about Alaskan Indian rights which is a very underrepresented population. Murkowski really has to be aggressive with showcasing her policy.

There are other states that care more about someone's football record than their policy (Alabama - Tuberville).

• Like 1

Since mid-January, there hasn't been a single poll that has Biden even remotely beating Trump nationally. Adding West and/or RFK to the equation does not seem to change much of the outcome. Seems like most people have their mind made up on the two main candidates by now.

The only good news for Biden is that he seems to be "winning back" PA for now, beyond the margin of error, which still gives Trump a 283 - 254 victory (out of these 283, 21 are "leaning red" while 262 are very "strong red" electoral votes). Based on this, if this election were to be held today Trump would easily win.

image.png.e870402f9c53639095efcd8c14fd57cb.pngimage.png.bc18f79e81614db5fb6bb23e06f5b17b.pngimage.png.500c8835da1da782612e49e235e661cc.png image.thumb.png.b7165951fb2a82a4dedb126fac5afb9c.png

2 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

I thought this was an exaggeration, but it has 17,000 words. Worst novella ever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Since mid-January, there hasn't been a single poll that has Biden even remotely beating Trump nationally. Adding West and/or RFK to the equation does not seem to change much of the outcome. Seems like most people have their mind made up on the two main candidates by now.

The only good news for Biden is that he seems to be "winning back" PA for now, beyond the margin of error, which still gives Trump a 283 - 254 victory (out of these 283, 21 are "leaning red" while 262 are very "strong red" electoral votes). Based on this, if this election were to be held today Trump would easily win.

image.png.e870402f9c53639095efcd8c14fd57cb.pngimage.png.bc18f79e81614db5fb6bb23e06f5b17b.pngimage.png.500c8835da1da782612e49e235e661cc.png image.thumb.png.b7165951fb2a82a4dedb126fac5afb9c.png

Take your point but the election is in November and looks like it's two old men, one frail the other quite possibly certifiable and in danger of a custodial sentence before then. The overwhelming public opinion - way ahead of any one candidate's poll rating - is that voters are appalled at these two being the main choices in the first place. 

You'd be an idiot at this point to believe that the polls today are even predicting the two candidates who'll fight it out, let alone be accurate in ten months time once the campaigns have played out. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Take your point but the election is in November and looks like it's two old men, one frail the other quite possibly certifiable and in danger of a custodial sentence before then. The overwhelming public opinion - way ahead of any one candidate's poll rating - is that voters are appalled at these two being the main choices in the first place. 

You'd be an idiot at this point to believe that the polls today are even predicting the two candidates who'll fight it out, let alone be accurate in ten months time once the campaigns have played out. 

As is often the case in a two party system, it's a choice between which one is the least hated at this point. Biden may not stoke as much passion as Trump (either for or against), but crucially, that also means he's less hated by the electorate at large. And that could be the deciding factor. 

Here's the thing why Biden will win again (unless he has a mental stumble):

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/19/us-consumer-sentiment-index-umich

It's like Reagan's 1984 campaign, although slightly delayed. Look at Reagan's approval as the USA was still stuck in the 1980/81 recession. Once that was over, his ratings shot upwards. Similarly, Biden looked worst not too long ago with inflation rising and no end on the horizon. His ratings will improve, he's behind Reagan's curve though.

Biden will win again because Trump has no means of expanding his voter base beyond the rabid cult members who, while they have clung on in great enough number to overwhelm the republican party, are nowhere near strong enough in number to carry a general election.  Democrat voters who may have become apathetic enough, after 4 years of this Biden garbage, to stay home in November will come out in numbers simply to oppose Trump while independents, who would have probably broken for a Desantis by a significant margin, will just stay home (I know I will).  The orange death cult turned the entire election into a referendum on the guy only they like and have done in the country as a result.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Biden will win again because Trump has no means of expanding his voter base beyond the rabid cult members who, while they have clung on in great enough number to overwhelm the republican party, are nowhere near strong enough in number to carry a general election.  Democrat voters who may have become apathetic enough, after 4 years of this Biden garbage, to stay home in November will come out in numbers simply to oppose Trump while independents, who would have probably broken for a Desantis by a significant margin, will just stay home (I know I will).  The orange death cult turned the entire election into a referendum on the guy only they like and have done in the country as a result.

I remember hearing similar words being spoken before the 2016 election, swap Biden for Crooked Hillary and see what happened there, some commentators said Trump would not even win a single state

Democrats/political commentators are in denial if they think Biden is mentally fit to be POTUS, the clown embarrasses himself every time he makes a speech, showing very clear signs of dementia

• Facepalm 5

34 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

That is not true anymore in 2024: most of the young voters (especially Muslim voters from states like Michigan, most of whom have voted Biden in 2020) are very pro-Palestine right now and are slowly but surely switching their votes to Trump or to a third option as a result of Biden's pro-Isreal stance right now (yeah, I know that Trump is no better in this aspect, but he has the benefit of not being the incumbent right now). There is a reason he is winning with young voters now.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Point well taken, hence why I said if the election were to be held TODAY, Trump would win easily. Nobody said anything about November.

17 minutes ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Point well taken, hence why I said if the election were to be held TODAY, Trump would win easily. Nobody said anything about November.

He will win there too in November, not because there is any great love for him outside of his core base but because he is not Joe Biden, replace Biden with a healthy younger democrat (not Kamala) the democrats will win

Trump will only win because his opponent is a living corpse, no other reason, dems need to dump Biden off the ballot paper

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BonScott said:

He will win there too in November, not because there is any great love for him outside of his core base but because he is not Joe Biden, replace Biden with a healthy younger democrat (not Kamala) the democrats will win

Trump will only win because his opponent is a living corpse, no other reason, dems need to dump Biden off the ballot paper

The Democrats are going to win anyway in a Biden/Trump match-up.

The simple truth is that the left will still to the Democrats in fear of Trump; the right will stick to Trump in fear of Biden; and the people in the middle…they will most likely go with Biden simply because he is the less offensive option.

I agree with the sentiment of most Americans that neither should be their respective party’s candidate in 2024. When Biden won in 2020 I thought he was a good one-term candidate. I thought he was a pretty neutral candidate (I didn’t/don’t consider him to be too far to the left) who could provide an opportunity for a reset. 

It will be interesting to see how Biden campaigns this time round as in 2020 Covid restrictions probably reduced the strain of a full on campaign. 

Obviously there has been no reset and we appear to be back to square one. The only good thing for Americans is that surely neither will run in 2028? 

16 minutes ago, Windsor said:

The Democrats are going to win anyway in a Biden/Trump match-up.

The simple truth is that the left will still to the Democrats in fear of Trump; the right will stick to Trump in fear of Biden; and the people in the middle…they will most likely go with Biden simply because he is the less offensive option.

I agree with the sentiment of most Americans that neither should be their respective party’s candidate in 2024. When Biden won in 2020 I thought he was a good one-term candidate. I thought he was a pretty neutral candidate (I didn’t/don’t consider him to be too far to the left) who could provide an opportunity for a reset. 

It will be interesting to see how Biden campaigns this time round as in 2020 Covid restrictions probably reduced the strain of a full on campaign. 

Obviously there has been no reset and we appear to be back to square one. The only good thing for Americans is that surely neither will run in 2028? 

Surely both won't be alive....right? If nothing else, I'd be shocked if both are still functioning enough to campaign at that point.

Eventually the wheel is going to fall off for one of them.

Never will rely on polls myself.  2016 Hilary was supposed to win. 2020 many people and polls said Trump was supposed to win reelection..  I now vote who I would like but just let the chips fall as they will.  Nothing is guaranteed or even an easy win when it comes to U.S elections. We are too much a divided country when it comes to political matters.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, livingbygrace said:

Never will rely on polls myself.  2016 Hilary was supposed to win. 2020 many people and polls said Trump was supposed to win reelection..  I now vote who I would like but just let the chips fall as they will.  Nothing is guaranteed or even an easy win when it comes to U.S elections. We are too much a divided country when it comes to political matters.

Hell yeah, we'll pencil that next civil war in to start in December, shall we?

Should make 2025 a bumper dead pooling year

22 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hell yeah, we'll pencil that next civil war in to start in December, shall we?

Should make 2025 a bumper dead pooling year

After every election there are people who loose their bloody minds over it.. People went insane when Trump won, and it was no different really with Biden as well.  Chaos ensues regardless the outcome now days.  People cant take the "L" if their candidate doesn't win

23 minutes ago, livingbygrace said:

After every election there are people who loose their bloody minds over it.. People went insane when Trump won, and it was no different really with Biden as well.  Chaos ensues regardless the outcome now days.  People cant take the "L" if their candidate doesn't win

If I remember the world was going to end if Obama won…to a certain class of Republican.

The birth (no pun intended) of the Tea Party is what led on to MAGA.