Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Hatter

Thoughts On The 2016 List

I think they drink a lot and throw dice. Sounds like a perfectly acceptable strategy to me.

You are Roy Hodgson AICMFP.

I'm American. 'splain.

Used to be the manager of the England football team. Some of his team selections at the recent European Championships could be best explained if he did it by your method.

• Like 1

It is two years ago todat that Lauren Baccall became the sixth hit for the 2014 Deathlist which went on to acheive a mediocre 10 deaths. The next death was 31 days later so we have until the middle of September to get ahead.

There is still some low hanging fruit on the list but I have gone a fortnight without a hit on my 1000 name Longlist so we do seem to be in a death drought. We might get a deluge before the end.

Well. Looks like we're ahead again
  • Like 1

I am going to say three more. One from the remaining top five.Either Richard Adams or Peter Sallis and one UK sport related.

Keeping my options open.

Got the one from the top five so now I need the other two

Every list since the 2012 one have had at least 4 hits past today's date (September 10th).

So we have a good chance of getting from 7 to 11.

I, however, predict we end the chain and finish with 9 hits.

• Like 1

Every list since the 2012 one have had at least 4 hits past today's date (September 10th).

So we have a good chance of getting from 7 to 11.

I, however, predict we end the chain and finish with 9 hits.

I'm predicting Bhumibol, Glen Cambell, Peter Carrington, and at the end of the year, Kirk Douglas

If ZsaZsa Gabor goes I think the dam will burst and we'll have at least half a dozen hits by years end.She won't die though :banghead:

At this point, I'm actually rooting for us not to reach double digits. Maybe this will teach the Committee a lesson not to include a bunch of 90-year-old randoms on the list every year.

• Like 1

At this point, I'm actually rooting for us not to reach double digits. Maybe this will teach the Committee a lesson not to include a bunch of 90-year-old randoms on the list every year.

Yeah. Look at the 2011 list. Did that change their minds. I don't think so.

• Like 1

i'm really honestly starting to think there won't be aan 8th hit. I just can't understand it :banghead:

i'm really honestly starting to think there won't be aan 8th hit. I just can't understand it :banghead:

There will be. Just look at gcreptile's Generation Game team, and at least one of those deathlist people will be gone

The fact that we have been reduced to discussing LFN's pussy and Morbidkid Dad's birthday present is an indication of the lull we are in. What next how to get your kids into a good school and knitting patterns. Like Mumsnet without the bile.

• Like 2

Like Mumsnet without the bile.

Funny you should mention Mumsnet, I rarely go there but yesterday my attention was caught by this highly entertaining thread.

Tuning in tonight for the next instalment. Woof Woof! ;)

• Like 1

The fact that we have been reduced to discussing LFN's pussy and Morbidkid Dad's birthday present is an indication of the lull we are in. What next how to get your kids into a good school and knitting patterns. Like Mumsnet without the bile.

"Mumsnet without the bile" - now there's a PR handle.

• Like 2

Considering I have nothing to do right now, I'll give you some odds according to me.

Zsa Zsa Gabor: No way she goes before her 100th birthday. And I doubt she will go after it. Dead by 2016: 15%, Alive 85%

Olivia de Havilland: No health issues at all, only old age. Let's say 10% dead, 90% alive

Bhumibol: Same as Zsa Zsa. He can be terminally ill, buth they'll keep him alive till he's useful. And that goes beyond 2016. Dead 30%, Alive 70%

Billy Graham: Old and Parkinson. Good pick. Dead 60%, Alive 40%

Herman Wouk: No health issues, only old. 30%, 70%

Javier Perez de Cuellar: Don't know why but I feel him going before the end of 2016. Anyway no health issues, so 35%, 65%.

Richard Adams. Good pick. Old and no health issues, but honestly I can not see him at 100. 70%, 30%.

Kirk Douglas: Oh, try again next year. 15%, 85%

Liz Smith: No serious health issues. 12%, 88%

Mary Tyler Moore: Advanced Alzheimer, but still too early. Anyway 50%, 50%

Peter Sallis: Definitely frail, which makes him an excellent pick. 80%, 20%.

Philip of Edinburgh. Ahah, no way. 10%, 90%.

James Randi: Just why was he on the list. 5%, 95%

Carrington: Old, but still in good health. 30%, 70%

Clive James: leaukemia and emphysema, but it's not his year. 45%, 55%

Bob Dole: Frail and old. 50%, 50%.

Joost van der Westhuizen: advanced ALS , but he can hang on for another year. 40%, 60%

Prunella Scales: Alzheimer's, but again too early. 30%, 70%

Jimmy Carter: he defeated cancer and is now in excellent health. No way. 20%, 80%

Henry Kissinger: Nothing about him in years. Hard to believe he is dying in 2016. 10%, 90%

Tommy Chong: Small cancer and hoaxes. 35%, 65%

Doug Ellis: Random old guy. 20%, 80%

George Bush Sr.; Frail , but not going anyhere soon. 20%. 80%

Vera Lynn: old and in perfect heath, like Olivia. 10%, 90%

Leslie Phillips: multiple strokes, very frail and old. 60%, 40%

Fidel Castro: just too much to expect. 30%, 70%

Sandy Gall: Random not so old guy. 15%, 85%

Fats Domino: Old and fat. 45%, 55%

Robert M. Pirsig: Random old guy. 30%, 70%

Desmond Tutu: out of peril, definitely. 45%, 55%

Lester Piggott: 2%, 98%

Glen Campbell: we all rely on him and his Alzheimer's. 90%, 10%

Stan Lee: Risible pick. 5%, 95%

Jake Lamotta: nothing bad about his health. 25%, 75%

Denis Norden. Old and ill. 75%, 25%

Murray Walker: Only frail. 40%, 60%

Jimmy Greaves: Too early. 23%, 77%

Gordon Banks: His kidney cancer won't kill him. 30%, 70%

Jacques Chirac: Health scares and death of a daughter. 60%, 40%

Stephen Hawking: he's a robot and robots don't die. 15%, 85%

Gazza: Too early. 5%, 95%

John Noakes: Good pick, advanced Alzheimer's. 60%, 40%

Bruce Forsyth: Not in good health. 65%, 35%

DL will have one/two hits before the end of the year, but it won't be a good result anyway.

• Like 1

My thought on the survivors of this years list as of right now:

Zsa Zsa Gabor: She'll definitely make 100, and probably will live longer, but deathlist will keep picking her every year until she dies

Olivia De Haviland: No way. I could easily see her as the next Zhou Yougang

Bhumibol Adulyadej: He's kind of a tricky one. He experienced kidney failure earlier this year. However, they keep drugging him to make him live longer. Doubt he'd be alive in 2018

Billy Graham: This guy has god on his side. Possibly immortal. Watch out for his Parkinson's though

Herman Wouk: One of those will he won't he picks. Seems to be a waste each year

Javier Perez De Cuellar: He'll see 2018

Richard Adams: Old and frail. Doesn't have that long to live.

Kirk Douglas: Don't know why, but I have a feeling that he will go either in late December 2016 or early January 2017. He's a strange one.

Liz Smith: isn't going anytime soon

Mary Tyler Moore: She's definitely ill, but feel she got on too early. 2018 seems to be her year

Peter Sallis: Good Pick

Prince Phillip: He'll last a while. However, we already lost 2 princes this year...

James Randi: He'll survive 2016 by using a magic trick

Lord Carrington: He'll make 2017

Clive James: As will he, despite having terminal cancer

Bob Dole: He might die after Hillary wins the election

Joost van Der Westhuzien: One of those will he won't he picks

Prunella Scales: 2018 will be her year. When was the last time her forum have a reply?

Jimmy Carter: He may be in great health now, but his cancer could return near the end of the year. Might be David Bowie of 2017

Henry Kissinger: He's fine. He'll make it to 2018

Tommy Chong: Put on way too early, as his cancer isn't even terminal I don't think. Probably a good pick for 2018 though

Doug Ellis: Why was he on here again?

George Bush Sr: Well, if Donald Trump wins the election, then we could see George Bush leaving the planet

Vera Lynn: A lot like De Haviland

Leslie Phillips: Seems fine right now

Fidel Castro: He'll last a while

Sandy Gall: If Gord Downie isn't allowed to be on 2017's list, then why is he allowed to be on this list

Fats Domino: Nothing on health since February. He won't last too long

Robert M Pirsig: Same question as Sandy Gall

Desmond Tutu: Constant hospitalizations and saying he want to have the right to die. One of those must haves

Lester Piggott: Why is he on here?

Glen Campbell: Can't be too long before he goes

Stan Lee: Immortal. Wasted pick

Jake Lamotta: Outlived almost every boxer. How isn't he dead yet

Denis Norden: Has he done anything in years?

Murray Walker: Too Early

Jimmy Greaves: Same as Walker

Gordon Banks; Another one of those will he won't he picks

Jacques Chirac: Haven't heard anything about his health in about 2 weeks since his hospitilization

Stephen Hawking: Outlived literally every ALS case. He has a little longer to live

Paul Gascgoigne: If he continues to do drugs, he'll die in a few years

John Noakes: Good pick

Bruce Forsyth: I see a few years left on him

We definitely won't be breaking the record this year.

• Like 1

No, we will certainly not. I knew at the start of this year that the choices made by the committee were shit, and unless there are rapid changes in the next two and a half months, this year will go down in history as being one of the worst years for the Deathlist in recent memory.

One of the worst recent years for the Deathlist! Despite the fact that 2016 has been the year of celebrity deaths!

On the other hand, it's got a lot of tottering people, so the 2017 list will probably do very well. 2008 comes to mind, a record equaling year where 5 ill cases from 2007 stumbled into the new year and became hits. Or in 2012, where seven of the hits were folk from the 2011 list.

• Like 2

We can say we are doing better than 2011 now

We can say we are doing better than 2011 now

What's all this "we" about? You had f uck all to do with it, and the same goes for the rest of us.

• Like 2

We are only one death behind the good 2013 list but equally one week from falling behind the disappointing 2014 list.

Looking at the low hanging fruit on the list... Gabor, Sallis, Douglas etc. I wouldn't be surprised if another few hits were to closely follow. It's starting to get quite chilly out there as winter sets in, and the Grim Reaper might deliver us a few early Xmas pressies :ghost4:

It always feels as though the last three months of the year are good for the Deathlist, even if the stats don't necessarily back them up (November being the weakest Deathlist month there is). There's been at least one hit in November or December since 2003, however.

I am expecting a flurry of activity as I have just drafted the pick list for my work game for 2017. The list has 450 names on it but after I filled in the missing years there was only room for one random addition so I went topical and added Hillary Clinton.

The players will get the list on Dec 1st but normally as soon as I draft it I have to make changes.