Sign in to follow this  
Sir Creep

Biggest 'miss(es)' by the DL Committee 2016

Rob Ford, anyone?

No thanks, trying to give him up

• Like 1

Guest Droosy

Johan Cruyff, one of the greatest football players. EVERYBODY knew he was going to die except the committee who seems to be obsessed with obscure cricket, darts, snooker players or aging dwarfish jockeys :rant:

Johan Cruyff, one of the greatest football players. EVERYBODY knew he was going to die except the committee who seems to be obsessed with obscure cricket, darts, snooker players or aging dwarfish jockeys :rant:

I have to agree on this.

• Like 1

Would it count as a miss if a celebrity has "terminal" cancer at the beginning of the year, the cancer is cured by miracle, but the person dies of another unrelated cause? I feel that Cruyff was in a similar scenario because a month ago we thought he was gonna survive.

Would it count as a miss if a celebrity has "terminal" cancer at the beginning of the year, the cancer is cured by miracle, but the person dies of another unrelated cause? I feel that Cruyff was in a similar scenario because a month ago we thought he was gonna survive.

I believe you're thinking knowledge and hope are synonymous.

Patricio Aylwin was on my list. He fell in December and was hopeless since then. In Accordance to me he is a great miss, just like Howard Marks.

Patricio Aylwin was on my list. He fell in December and was hopeless since then. In Accordance to me he is a great miss, just like Howard Marks.

Was never on the deathlist, so not considered a miss.

• Like 1

Biggest Misses? Must be talking about my wife!!!!

But seriously folks......

Anymore big misses this year?

Howard Marks

Caroline Aherne

Brian Rix

Oh and Rob Ford and Douglas Slocombe and Johan Cryuff.

Rene Angelil

Noel Neill

Gene Wilder

Why is Wilder a 'miss'?

Rene Angelil

Noel Neill

Gene Wilder

Why is Wilder a 'miss'?

He wasn't that big of a miss. However, his last appearance in public he did look very frail, so they should've known better. One that was a miss was Peter Maxwell Davies though.

David Bowie looks frail as fuck in the Blackstar video, he should have been on the Deathlist and every DDP team. Oh wait, no he wasn't, because we only have hindsight in retrospect.

• Like 1

I feel like John Glenn was a legitimate miss for deathlist. Not only was he famous enough for deathlist, due to being the first American in space, but he was also very old as well. Wonder if missing Glenn on deathlist means Buzz Aldrin will start becoming a regular starting next year.

• Like 3

Far, far too many to name. I'd be here all day if I was to list all the famous people that died in 2016 that were missed on the DeathList.

Of course, not all of those were obvious picks but some certainly were.

Joey is right though -- although too many to mention, true dat, when you have a 95-year old astronaut vs a good 5-6 truly awful selections by the committee then it's a fairly good size miss, even without medical reasons. Pat Harrington remains the biggest gaff IMHO, but that requires some of you to think back to the first 10 days of the year and well.....that may be expecting a lot. Big comedic star guaranteed to die before Valentine's Day, and instead the Committee gives us Randi and Chong. As if.

SC

• Like 1

My view

NOT A MISS (as people can’t generally see into the future)

• David Bowie
  • Alan Rickman
  • Terry Wogan
  • Antonin Scalia
  • Emerson, Lake or the rest of the music alumni
  • Ronnie Corbett
  • Michael Cimino

All of whom would have made the list if they'd been public about their health, imo. (Well, apart from the obvious heart attack and suicide in there)

NOT A MISS (as not really Deathlisty)

• Pat Harrington Jr and other old American actors
  • George Gaynes
  • Douglas Slocombe
  • Rob Ford
  • Gordie Howe
  • Goran Hadzic
  • Peter Esterhazy
  • and so on...

ARGUABLE

• Umberto Eco (but writers rarely appear on the Deathlist, as I’ve bemoaned before)
  • George Martin
  • Peter Maxwell Davies
  • Johan Cruyff (though most people on here thought he’d be OK)
  • Howard Marks (though again, many people on here thought he was on for 2017)
  • Gene Wilder
  • Arnold Palmer
  • Shimon Peres
  • Robert Vaughan
  • Peter Vaughan
  • John Glenn

Could have been Deathlisty names, but weren't. It happens.

AN ACTUAL BONAFIDE MISS

• Harper Lee (Dropped from the 2015 list)
  • Like 6

I'm not sure if Michael Cimino is actually famous enough for deathlist. Sure, he is well known for the successful film the deer hunter and the flop but later cult classic heaven's gate, but besides that, what else has he done that's well known?

I'm not sure if Michael Cimino is actually famous enough for deathlist. Sure, he is well known for the successful film the deer hunter and the flop but later cult classic heaven's gate, but besides that, what else has he done that's well known?

Going into a 30 plus year strop because he'd alienated most of the executives in Hollywood, mostly! He was that one of that group of directors who seemed to take over film in the 70s, all pals (Speilberg, Coppola, Lucas, Scorcese, etc), only to for 1980 to happen. Obviously the rest all weathered their own storms (drugs, flop movies, etc) but Cimino's sort of the Pete Best of the lot.

So, to answer your question - dunno. :lol: I'd have assumed so, though!

Trust me he was famous enough the problem was that he had no health issues.

In my eyes Marks was the biggest miss for the DL in the sense that he seemed a foregone conclusion to appear, and that there was a slew of "I can't believe he didn't appear" comments when the list was unveiled.

Glenn I was personally rooting for a DL appearance (having even suggested him in last year's who should be on next year's DL thread) though admittedly by this time last year he was a random old person with chronic but not yet severe health issues, and wasn't an absolute lock until a day before he died.

• Like 3

I feel like John Glenn was a legitimate miss for deathlist. Not only was he famous enough for deathlist, due to being the first American in space, but he was also very old as well. Wonder if missing Glenn on deathlist means Buzz Aldrin will start becoming a regular starting next year.

Alan Shepard was!

• Like 2

Alan Shepard was!
Ugh. I completely forgot him. John Glenn was the first American to orbit.
  • Like 2