Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

8 minutes ago, drol said:

Rodolfo Hernandez's cancer now terminal.

Don't remember that Tarzan film.

MP Mary Kelly Foy has been diagnosed with Breast Cancer 

Former Labour TD and Minister of State Emmet Stagg has died aged 79.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Former Labour TD and Minister of State Emmet Stagg has died aged 79.

As a mark of respect, all of the Phoenix Park rent-boys will be at half mast tonight. 

• Haha 3
  • Shocked 1

Roger Pardo Maurer, a former U.S. deputy assistant Secretary of Defense, has died. He was 65.  Maurer drowned on a Costa Rican beach.  He served in the role from 2001 to 2006, during the George W. Bush administration.

https://ticotimes.net/2024/03/19/former-u-s-deputy-defense-secretary-tragically-drowns-on-costa-rican-beach

On 09/06/2022 at 21:23, arghton said:

Clare Westcott (1924) Ontario politician. Lost son-in-law in 2014, wife in 2019, daughter in 2020.

Roland Armitage (1925) Former local politician.

Robert Nixon (1928) Longtime Ontario politician.

Pearl McGonigal (1929) Former Manitoba lt.gen

Marc Lalonde (1929-2023) Former Finance Minister

Marion Reid (1929-2023) Former lt.gov of the Prince Edward Islands

Yves Michaud (1930) Hardline Quebec independence supporter

Yves Michaud (Wiki), Quebec politician dead at 94

• Like 6

On 16/04/2023 at 00:11, gcreptile said:

Frederic Mitterrand, son of the former president and a former minister himself, has some kind of cancer:

https://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/frederic-mitterrand-annonce-etre-malade-20230414

Frédéric Mitterrand (Wiki), French politician who served as Minister of Culture and Communication of France from 2009 to 2012, dead at 76

• Like 1

On 17/03/2024 at 19:10, An Fear Beag said:

As a mark of respect, all of the Phoenix Park rent-boys will be at half mast tonight. 

Just read his obit.

Seems to have the rare double-distinction of being a nonce with an IRA brother who had to be buried three separate times.

Josip Manolić turns 104. Family statements on his health are a bit contradictory, he's "in good health" but also unable to be interviewed because he's "on medication, unable to hear and speaks poorly"

• Like 3

Pakistani Shahryar Khan, former Foreign Secretary (1990-1994), has died aged 89.

He was also chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board.

On 21/03/2024 at 23:36, millwall32 said:

Just read his obit.

Seems to have the rare double-distinction of being a nonce with an IRA brother who had to be buried three separate times.

I think you need to learn to read more carefully.

Emmet Stagg was many things, but there is absolutely no evidence that he was a "nonce", at least not by my understanding of the word.

For those who haven't read about him, the scandal surrounding him was that he was questioned by Gardai after being discovered loitering in an area of the Phoenix Park known to be frequented by male prostitutes. That was it. He was not arrested and was not charged with, much less convicted of, any crime. 

One could charitably invoke the "innocent until proven guilty" principle, and say that he was just out enjoying a late-night stroll in a public park, which everyone is free to do. However, even if you assume that he was attempting to pick up a prostitute, that does not make him a nonce, as @Toastwould no doubt be happy to explain to you.

From my memory of the event,  there was a reasonable amount of righteous indignation form the usual sources, and a fair amount of snickering amusement. However, there was also quite a lot of sympathy for Stagg, as the Gardai leaked his name to the press despite him not having actually done anything illegal, something which they have a nasty little habit of doing. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

I think you need to learn to read more carefully.

Emmet Stagg was many things, but there is absolutely no evidence that he was a "nonce", at least not by my understanding of the word.

For those who haven't read about him, the scandal surrounding him was that he was questioned by Gardai after being discovered loitering in an area of the Phoenix Park known to be frequented by male prostitutes. That was it. He was not arrested and was not charged with, much less convicted of, any crime. 

One could charitably invoke the "innocent until proven guilty" principle, and say that he was just out enjoying a late-night stroll in a public park, which everyone is free to do. However, even if you assume that he was attempting to pick up a prostitute, that does not make him a nonce, as @Toastwould no doubt be happy to explain to you.

From my memory of the event,  there was a reasonable amount of righteous indignation form the usual sources, and a fair amount of snickering amusement. However, there was also quite a lot of sympathy for Stagg, as the Gardai leaked his name to the press despite him not having actually done anything illegal, something which they have a nasty little habit of doing. 

I think *you've* misunderstood the meaning of the word nonce:All kid-fuckers are nonces but not all nonces are kid-fuckers . If you're a, then, 50 year old man hanging around an area known for teenage prostitutes you're a nonce. Simples.

Checking with the OED, it does seem that, strictly speaking, Millwall is right and the term is not confined to sexual abuse of children. 

My impression is that it's acquired a more specific meaning over time.   Unlike 'paedophile' which is being used indiscriminately now.

image.png.4a5c417e2d981876672f347298126562.png

image.png.0f11dd598f4fc59341775fb2dc84e938.png

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

Checking with the OED, it does seem that, strictly speaking, Millwall is right and the term is not confined to sexual abuse of children. 

My impression is that it's acquired a more specific meaning over time.   Unlike 'paedophile' which is being used indiscriminately now.

My understanding, and I may be completely wrong on this, was that the term "nonce" is now taken to mean a paedophile. Or at very least someone who shags/abuses people under the age of consent. 

However, there is no evidence that Stagg had anything to do with underage kids. In fact, when he was questioned by the Gardai, the man in the car with him was in his twenties.

Irish minister set to survive scandal | The Independent | The Independent

Fomer mayor of Marbella, Spanish public figure and crook Julián Muñoz (wikiseriously ill in hospital, though apparently "improving". Has suffered from diabetes and multiple strokes for years.

Joe Lieberman, former Senator for Connecticut (1989 - 2013), has died aged 82. He served as Gore’s running mate on the Democratic ticket at the 2000 Presidential election.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 7

13 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Joe Lieberman, former Senator for Connecticut (1989 - 2013), has died aged 82. He served as Gore’s running mate on the Democratic ticket at the 2000 Presidential election.

Not surprised at all, he has looked very frail the past few years, 'complications from a fall' is the sort of thing I was expecting.

6 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Not surprised at all, he has look very frail the past few years, 'complications from a fall' is the sort of thing I was expecting.

Pretty surprising to me. He has been key for No Labels 3rd Party movement

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Surprised Dick Cheney, his VP opponent in 2000, outlived him. 

7 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Pretty surprising to me. He has been key for No Labels 3rd Party movement

Ah, so he decided to spend the last few years of his life supporting a 3rd party with absolutely no chance of winning, got it.

• Like 1

Even though he was 82, It's still a shock, as he was still heavily involved in politics until his passing. He was still being interviewed a few days ago about No Labels.

The way my friends texted me immediately on this death; it caused me to jump.
He has been successfully tanking the democratic party efforts for decades. He was instrumental in getting the public option removed from the Affordable Care Act. His dumb son also tried to block the state of Georgia from getting democratic senators elected a couple years ago (however, the people of Georgia miraculously got two).

He was added to the ticket in 2000 to bring a conservative element, campaigning on bringing more religion into politics. 

28 minutes ago, Tango854 said:

Ah, so he decided to spend the last few years of his life supporting a 3rd party with absolutely no chance of winning, got it.

ALWAYS has been like this, imo.

• Like 2