Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Way round it obviously is to permit their appointment to the Lords. They would still have a "political" career, and they would be where the true hereditaries are - thus continuing the exposure of the whole stinking corrupt system.

So you want MPs’ children to enter Parliament through unelected appointment to the Lords rather than democratic election to the Commons? It would only encourage more corruption rather than expose it. I want the Lords to be replaced by an elected senate, not filled with the offspring of MPs.

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Such a rule would have disqualified Tony Benn.

Well, that's a matter of dispute which of a Sunday evening I'm not prepared to debate at length.

Benn could have held on to his hereditary title and worked from the Lords. You have heard of ministers being appointed from the Lords, I take it?

Once again there's a dynasty still crackling along in Parliament. 

The divine right of kings did for some of the Stuarts, the divine right of power and nepotism is exposed nicely by Tony and his son who currently sits in the Commons.

2 minutes ago, Kenny said:

So you want MPs’ children to enter Parliament through unelected appointment to the Lords rather than democratic election to the Commons? It would only encourage more corruption rather than expose it. I want the Lords to be replaced by an elected senate, not filled with the offspring of MPs.

And I don't want a Commons filled with the offspring of politicians. There you go.

My point about patronage, nepotism and corruption in the Lords clearly espoused, thank you.

9 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Such a rule would have disqualified Tony Benn.

Tony Benn, as Viscount Stansgate, had to fight to renounce his Peerage so that he could stand for election to the Commons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

And I don't want a Commons filled with the offspring of politicians. There you go.

My point about patronage, nepotism and corruption in the Lords clearly espoused, thank you.

You have only exposed your authoritarian desire to deprive the offspring of politicians from having the same political rights as everyone else.

I don’t want the Commons to be filled with authoritarians like you who have contempt for democracy and equal rights.

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Kenny said:

You have only exposed your authoritarian desire to deprive the offspring of politicians from having the same political rights as everyone else.

I don’t want the Commons to be filled with authoritarians like you who have contempt for democracy and equal rights.

Ha! 

I despise most politicians, you haven't been paying attention to my posting history.

I'm all for democracy and equal rights. But how is the field levelled by giving a candidate an inbuilt advantage with the electorate simply by luck of birth?

I'm hardly authoritarian for wanting a just system, not one dictated by genes. It's unfair You are free to disagree with me without resorting to slurring my character, rather than addressing that point. :P

2 hours ago, Kenny said:

Tony Benn, as Viscount Stansgate, had to fight to renounce his Peerage so that he could stand for election to the Commons.

His dad had been an MP.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DoltonMoney said:

Karen Yarbrough, current Cook County, Illinois (including Chicago) clerk, dead at 73. Pretty big shock, she seemed pretty much fine when I've seen her.

A shock in Chicago as well l from what I've been told. Exactly what illness she died from is being kept closely held.

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ha! 

I despise most politicians, you haven't been paying attention to my posting history.

I'm all for democracy and equal rights. But how is the field levelled by giving a candidate an inbuilt advantage with the electorate simply by luck of birth?

I'm hardly authoritarian for wanting a just system, not one dictated by genes. It's unfair You are free to disagree with me without resorting to slurring my character, rather than addressing that point. :P

In the today's world of grubby and corrupt politics, it’s who controls the party selection system, including the constituency associations, that really counts. Prospective candidates have to go through a selection process.

Tories have to pass a parliamentary Assessment Board to get on the Approved Candidates List being they can even apply for seats. A lot of current Conservative MPs owe their seats to the patronage of David Cameron and his cronies through was called The Priority List. After getting on the Approved List, you had to get on the Priority List to apply for safe or target seats. Thankfully, most of them will lose their seats at the next election.

In Labour, the Trades Unions control the selection of candidates in a lot of seats. Local “community leaders” also have a big influence in seats, e.g. Bradford, which have a large number of ethnic minority voters. Due to those differing allegiances, Starmer will have hundreds of new MPs who will be very tough to control.

It’s the patronage of the powerful, and what you promise to deliver in return, that counts now. 

1 hour ago, Kenny said:

In the today's world of grubby and corrupt politics, it’s who controls the party selection system, including the constituency associations, that really counts. Prospective candidates have to go through a selection process.

Tories have to pass a parliamentary Assessment Board to get on the Approved Candidates List being they can even apply for seats. A lot of current Conservative MPs owe their seats to the patronage of David Cameron and his cronies through was called The Priority List. After getting on the Approved List, you had to get on the Priority List to apply for safe or target seats. Thankfully, most of them will lose their seats at the next election.

In Labour, the Trades Unions control the selection of candidates in a lot of seats. Local “community leaders” also have a big influence in seats, e.g. Bradford, which have a large number of ethnic minority voters. Due to those differing allegiances, Starmer will have hundreds of new MPs who will be very tough to control.

It’s the patronage of the powerful, and what you promise to deliver in return, that counts now. 

Keir Starmer and his team have pretty much been handpicking every candidate. They will be very few if any candidates who are likely to be rebelling. Party members have only been allowed to vote for those deemed loyal. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Keir Starmer and his team have pretty much been handpicking every candidate. They will be very few if any candidates who are likely to be rebelling. Party members have only been allowed to vote for those deemed loyal. 

Wishful thinking. The unions (especially in the NHS and the railways) will want payback, especially for years of strike action against the Tory government. Starmer’s massive problem is that Tories (as a result of lockdowns and the associated furlough payments) have spent all the money.

Britain’s credit card is maxed out and Starmer will have to slash public services just to pay off the interest. Sunak couldn’t give a f**k because his deep state cronies (e.g. Blair and Obama) will reward him. He will get lucrative jobs and huge speech fees for his loyalty to the globalist hegemony.

Just now, Kenny said:

Wishful thinking. The unions (especially in the NHS and the railways) will want payback, especially for years of strike action against the Tory government. Starmer’s massive problem is that Tories (as a result of lockdowns and the associated furlough payments) have spent all the money.

Britain’s credit card is maxed out and Starmer will have to slash public services just to pay off the interest. Sunak couldn’t give a f**k because his deep state cronies (e.g. Blair and Obama) will reward him. He will get lucrative jobs and huge speech fees for his loyalty to the globalist hegemony.

They might but his MP’s won’t back the unions. Starmer is perfectly willing I Susoho to cut all ties.

On 24/03/2024 at 18:57, drol said:

Fomer mayor of Marbella, Spanish public figure and crook Julián Muñoz (wikiseriously ill in hospital, though apparently "improving". Has suffered from diabetes and multiple strokes for years.

Julian Munoz has been discharged, but is apparently suffering from advanced cancer.

On 01/05/2022 at 18:44, arghton said:

Stef Wertheimer (1926) Knesset member 1977-1981, ISCAR founder

Amal Nasser el-Din (1928) Knesset member 1977-1988, Druze politician

Miriam Glazer-Ta'asa (1929) Knesset member 1981-1984

Edna Solodar (1930) Knesset member 1982-1992

Ada Feinberg-Sireni (1930) Knesset member 1969-1974

Zalman Shoval (1930) Two-time ambassador to the US, Knesset member 1970-1981, 1988-1990

Yair Tzaban (1930) Minister of Immigrant Absorption 1992-1996, Knesset member 1981-1996

Edna Solodar (Wiki), Israeli politician who served as a member of the Knesset for the Alignment and Labor Party between 1982 and 1992, dead at 94

John Allen Fraser, a federal Canadian politician who served as the Speaker of the House of Commons from 1986 to 1993, has died. He was 92. Fraser was a Progressive Conservative MP from 1972 to 1993. He was the first speaker elected by secret ballot. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/john-fraser-former-speaker-dies-1.7168762

• Like 1

On 02/08/2022 at 22:10, arghton said:

Georges Berthoin (1925) Jean Monnet's chief of staff 1952-1955.

Jacques Delors (1925-2023) President of the European Commission 1985-1995, rumored to be in failing health.

Christiane Scrivener (1925) former Secretary of State of Trade for Consumers' protection.

Pierre Pranchère (1927-2023) Former MEP

Robert Badinter (1928-2024) Minister of Justice who abolished the death penalty.

As it reported Christiane Scrivener dead at 98

• Like 2

On 30/09/2021 at 21:25, arghton said:

Earliest Swedish cabinet with living cabinet members seems to be Palme's first cabinet (1969-1976) living ones are Kjell-Olof Feldt (1931-), Ingvar Carlsson (1934-, Palme's successor as Prime Minister after he was assasinated), Lena Hjelm-Wallen (1943-), Bertil Zachrisson (1926-2023, mentioned him once before) and Anna-Greta Leijon (1939-).

Anna-Greta Leijon has died aged 84.

• Like 1

81s2yjdVXVL._SY466_.jpg

Bought this cheapie from my local Oxfam and greatly enjoyed it - not exactly a long read.It's a digest of represenative crapness produced in the wake of the expenses scandal. Big take away for me being that the authors clearly thought the expenses a low in political standards, they hadn't a fucking clue how low Boris Johnson's reign would drag the whole business. 

Useful hereabouts as a reminder that some of the expenses mob remain alive and their wrongdoings back then will guarantee q/o coverage in the broadsheets as and when.

So, a reminder 

Anthony Steen - b.1939 Conservative, claimed £87,000 in expenses to upkeep his mansion and bawled out critics as simply jealous because he had a big house

Sir Derek Conway - b.1939 Conservative, half the fucking family on the payroll, worst example being paying one son a substantial salary as a aide despite the fact the young 'un was otherwise engaged studying Geography in Newcastle at the time

Margaret Moran - b.1955 Labour, multiple expense and ongoing shitstorm including sterling efforts to keep the lingering shite off her Wiki page

Andrew Mackay and Julie Kirkbride - b.1949 and 1960 Conservatives, married MPs who milked the potential of flipping their main residences so's they could cash in mightily.

15 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

81s2yjdVXVL._SY466_.jpg

Bought this cheapie from my local Oxfam and greatly enjoyed it - not exactly a long read.It's a digest of represenative crapness produced in the wake of the expenses scandal. Big take away for me being that the authors clearly thought the expenses a low in political standards, they hadn't a fucking clue how low Boris Johnson's reign would drag the whole business. 

Useful hereabouts as a reminder that some of the expenses mob remain alive and their wrongdoings back then will guarantee q/o coverage in the broadsheets as and when.

So, a reminder 

Anthony Steen - b.1939 Conservative, claimed £87,000 in expenses to upkeep his mansion and bawled out critics as simply jealous because he had a big house

Sir Derek Conway - b.1939 Conservative, half the fucking family on the payroll, worst example being paying one son a substantial salary as a aide despite the fact the young 'un was otherwise engaged studying Geography in Newcastle at the time

Margaret Moran - b.1955 Labour, multiple expense and ongoing shitstorm including sterling efforts to keep the lingering shite off her Wiki page

Andrew Mackay and Julie Kirkbride - b.1949 and 1960 Conservatives, married MPs who milked the potential of flipping their main residences so's they could cash in mightily.

I have that book. Pretty sure George Galloway is in it too.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

81s2yjdVXVL._SY466_.jpg

So, a reminder 

I see this was published in 2009. There could be one heck of a Volume 2 in the making.

16 minutes ago, TQR said:

I see this was published in 2009. There could be one heck of a Volume 2 in the making.

Political Bastards, volume 1 of a three trillion book series...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I have that book. Pretty sure George Galloway is in it too.

Yeah, photo from Big Brother house and a one-line entry in which they point out he's litigious and state that in their opinion he's still a crap MP.