Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

3 hours ago, TQR said:

I see this was published in 2009. There could be one heck of a Volume 2 in the making.

436121020_441965195068479_56236676852617

On 22/03/2024 at 19:00, arghton said:

Josip Manolić turns 104. Family statements on his health are a bit contradictory, he's "in good health" but also unable to be interviewed because he's "on medication, unable to hear and speaks poorly"

Josip Manolić (wikidead at 104.

stock-photo-josip-manolic-16192.jpg.dce08179e1012018bf9b856c0edc403f.jpg

• Like 16

On 09/07/2023 at 01:20, arghton said:

Martin Aliker pictured apparently some weeks ago at a Stanbic Bank event, looking alive:

aliker.png.056d9f8ce37887b912b60a9818f4b035.png

Martin Aliker dead at 95.

• Like 3

RIP, loved her in Billions and 27 Dresses.

Governor of Arkhangelsk Oblast Pavel Balakshin dead at 87.

Some time ago I went through the living Russian governors and their longevity was depressingly bad. Balakshin was the oldest by a big margin, IIRC. Don't know who 's the oldest now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drol said:

Governor of Arkhangelsk Oblast Pavel Balakshin dead at 87.

Some time ago I went through the living Russian governors and their longevity was depressingly bad. Balakshin was the oldest by a big margin, IIRC. Don't know who 's the oldest now.

They can't really compete with their Chinese counterparts. 

Of republics...

Alexander Dzasokhov, "President of North Ossetia-Alania" 1998-2005 is still alive at 90. He should be the oldest.

After him, possibly Aslan Dzharimov, born 1936, head of Adyghe 1992-2006. 

There's a few living born in 1937, including Dzharimov's successor Hazret Sovmen and Tatarstan's iron ruler Mintimer Shaimiev (who was widowed five years ago, but seems to be doing great for his age), and then a larger amount of ones in their early 80s.

Of oblasts...

I think allegedly corrupt former governor of Oryol Yegor Stroyev is the oldest governor of an Oblast now that Balakshin is dead, close second Eduard Rossel of Sverdlovsk whose father was killed by NKVD during Stalin's Great Purge.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

Former Florida Senator and Governor Bob Graham being reported dead

He had heart surgery in 2003 and was never the picture of health. I planned on using him for my DDP team next year.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, polar duck said:

He had heart surgery in 2003 and was never the picture of health. I planned on using him for my DDP team next year.

The man was poorly for 4 years after a stroke that was apparently not publicly disclosed until after he died. At least I can't find any news articles about it.

21 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

US state Rep Donald Payne still unconscious 10 days after a heart attack:

https://politicalwire.com/2024/04/17/democratic-lawmaker-is-still-unconscious/

Worth noting that his father, Donald Payne Sr. died in office of colon cancer in 2012. 

If he doesn't survive, he'll be the second Payne in a row from this district to die in office. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

US state Rep Donald Payne still unconscious 10 days after a heart attack:

https://politicalwire.com/2024/04/17/democratic-lawmaker-is-still-unconscious/

Surely being in a coma for that long isn't good for you (or your chances at returning to work)... And he is, far as I've read, still running for reelection in the fall.

When your "tenure" section for a Congressman with nearly 6 terms under your belt is less than 3 paragraphs long... I can certainly say he's not done much while in office!

Austin Murphy (Wiki), American politician who served as a Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Pennsylvania from 1977 to 1995, dead at 96

image.png.f623f5b07a9f0894174693bd01375718.png

• Like 4

On 10/01/2020 at 12:28, Ulitzer95 said:

Agreed that a lot of them have been dropping off recently.

Thought I'd take this opportunity to look at how many WWII veterans from the three strands of government in the U.S. are still with us.

There are 5 living formers members of the House of Representatives who served:
b. 1919: Lester L. Wolff
b. 1920: Neal Edward Smith
b. 1921: Mike McCormack
b. 1923: Bob Dole, Al Quie
b. 1924: Frank Joseph Guarini, Weston E. Vivian
b. 1925: Fletcher Thompson, G. William Whitehurst, Lucien Nedzi
b. 1926: J. Roy Rowland, Elwood Hillis, Earl Hutto, Mark Andrews, Robert J. Lagomarsino
b. 1927: Benjamin B. Blackburn, Arthur Ravenel Jr., Austin Murphy, Bud Brown, Edwin Edwards, Jim Weaver, James W. Symington

There is just 1 living Senator:
b. 1923: James Buckley, Bob Dole (also listed above)
b. 1925: Daniel Evans
b. 1926: Mark Andrews (also listed above)
b. 1927: John Warner

There are 5 living Governors who served:
b. 1921: John Malcolm Patterson
b. 1922: Wayne Mixson
b. 1923: William Winter, Al Quie (also listed above), Linwood Holton

b. 1924: Dale E. Wolf, Jimmy Carter
b. 1925: Ted Schwinden, Daniel Evans (also listed above)
b. 1926: George Ariyoshi
b. 1927: Phil Batt, George Nigh, Winfield Dunn, Edwin Edwards (also listed above)

Jimmy Carter (also listed above) is of course the only living President who served. There are no living Vice Presidents who served.

1 living member of the Cabinet who served:

Johnson administrationAlan Stephenson Boyd (b. 1922), Ramsey Clark (b. 1927) NONE!
Nixon administration: Henry Kissinger (b. 1923), George Shultz (b. 1920) NONE!
Ford administration: Henry Kissinger (b. 1923, also listed above) NONE!
Carter administration: Charles Duncan (b. 1926), Ray Marshall (b. 1928)
Reagan administrationGeorge Shultz (b. 1920, also listed above) NONE!

No living justices of the Supreme Court who served following the death of John Paul Stevens (1920–2019).

As far as I know, these are complete. I will do the UK (Commons and Lords) when I get time, but that will probably involve more research.

Updated the lists of U.S. WWII veterans within the 3 pillars of federal government following the recent deaths of Henry Kissinger and Austin Murphy.

11 names left now.

2 September 2025 will mark 80 years since the end of WWII. How many of the above will still be here? I reckon about 3.

• Like 5

Norwegian aging political heavyweight Carl I. Hagen hospitalised with pneumonia.

On 17/04/2024 at 22:18, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Worth noting that his father, Donald Payne Sr. died in office of colon cancer in 2012. 

If he doesn't survive, he'll be the second Payne in a row from this district to die in office. 

Have to follow up on my post. Payne Jr. is not a state Rep, but a US Rep, so actually quite important as the Dems might have a chance to capture the speakership.

• Like 1

On 26/07/2022 at 14:06, arghton said:

Finnish Prime Minister 2003-2010 Matti Vanhanen hospitalised yesterday with heart problems and atrial fibrillation but now doing fine.

Matti Vanhanen awarded counsellor of state title. That title has only been awarded to nine people and the last time was twenty years ago. Might be a sign he's in declining health. 

On 13/01/2023 at 17:25, arghton said:

Frene Ginwala, South African politician who took part in writing the Constitution of South Africa, also the 1st Speaker of the National Assembly of South Africa 1994-2004, dead at 90 from stroke complications.

SA has a few ancient politicisnd, freedom fighter Gertrude Shope is 97, Zulu leader Mangosuthu Buthelezi is 94, ex-PAC boss Motsoko Pheko is 89, former Minister of Education Sibusiso Bengu, former Minister of Finance Chris Liebenberg and freedom fighters Moosa Moolla and Costa Gazi are 88

Motsoko Pheko being reported dead, but aged 94? 

Hmm, odd, I'd have expected a proper news report by now so needing confirmation.

28 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Motsoko Pheko being reported dead, but aged 94? 

Hmm, odd, I'd have expected a proper news report by now so needing confirmation.

Very odd given that Nov 1930 - Apr 2024 makes him 93.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TQR said:

Very odd given that Nov 1930 - Apr 2024 makes him 93.

Oh you have some countries where it ends up being the next birthday anniversary. Fairly common, we are the strange ones imo. 

He was in his 94th year so that's not my problem with it really.

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh you have some countries where it ends up being the next birthday anniversary. Fairly common, we are the strange ones imo. 

I would also suggest that a worrying percentage of people panic and start counting on their fingers when you ask them their age. It could be that someone did the maths of 2024-1930. Nevertheless, we have 2 precise dates.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

My understanding was that was just South Korea and a couple of south-east Asian countries, but I’m happy to be corrected on this.

Former Lithuanian PM Gediminas Kirkilas dead at 72

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TQR said:

My understanding was that was just South Korea and a couple of south-east Asian countries, but I’m happy to be corrected on this.

SK changed the law about that as of late, officially they're on the same age system as everyone else now.

• Like 1