Sign in to follow this  
Sir Creep

Enough With The 1800S Already

Emma Morano just turned 117 years old!

Amazing achievement, she must of seen some changes in her lifetime, amazing to think she was an 86 year old woman when i was born and 31 years later she is still going, i wonder if she will make it to 120, doubt it but you never know.

• Like 1

I think she'll eventually be the third oldest ever. Lucy Hannah (the third oldest currently) was 117 years, 248 days old when she died so if Emma makes it to next August/September she'll achieve it. Can't see her getting to Sarah Knauss's age (119 years, 97 days) and Calment is unbeatable IMO.

But you never know!

I think she'll eventually be the third oldest ever. Lucy Hannah (the third oldest currently) was 177 years, 248 days old when she died so if Emma makes it to next August/September she'll achieve it. Can't see her getting to Sarah Knauss's age (119 years, 97 days) and Calment is unbeatable IMO.

But you never know!

Another 60 years is a challenge, but if you think she can do it, then she will.
  • Like 1

Emma Morano just turned 117 years old!

The cunt.

I should t bitch-- maybe December 13 is her gift to me. Unlucky 13

Just seen her on the BBC News Channel.

Sounds rough but still content to be an exhibit in the zoo for the media.

• Like 1

I think she'll eventually be the third oldest ever. Lucy Hannah (the third oldest currently) was 177 years, 248 days old when she died so if Emma makes it to next August/September she'll achieve it. Can't see her getting to Sarah Knauss's age (119 years, 97 days) and Calment is unbeatable IMO.

But you never know!

Another 60 years is a challenge, but if you think she can do it, then she will.

Yeh, yeh - a quick post that somehow added 60 years to Lucy's age. Now fixed!

I do think Emma can get to 118 though (at least).

So got to thinking....who was the last (supposed) person of the 1700s?  Obviously limitations of research will be what they will be on this matter, but lo and behold the question tickled the fancy of some and thus was born an article in The Atlantic a while back, post-Emma.

"We do know, however, that one of the oldest people around in the early 1900s was Margaret Ann Neve, who was born near France in 1792... " and died at 111 yrs old in 1903.
Interesting article, and brief.  Worth a post.
SC

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

So got to thinking....who was the last (supposed) person of the 1700s?  Obviously limitations of research will be what they will be on this matter, but lo and behold the question tickled the fancy of some and thus was born an article in The Atlantic a while back, post-Emma.

"We do know, however, that one of the oldest people around in the early 1900s was Margaret Ann Neve, who was born near France in 1792... " and died at 111 yrs old in 1903.
Interesting article, and brief.  Worth a post.
SC

Could as well be this gal.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=17834473

10 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

She was born in the 1800s. One day too late in fact to be a member of the 1700's...

Despite the millennium stuff, centuries are counted 01 to 100.

7 hours ago, msc said:

Despite the millennium stuff, centuries are counted 01 to 100.

By that logic, does that mean that there are still people alive from the 1800s then? 

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

By that logic, does that mean that there are still people alive from the 1800s then? 

Yes. Two people from the 19th century still alive.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, drol said:

No. I know two people are alive from the 19th century. However, I don't believe anyone is still alive is still alive from the 1800s, i.e between 1800-1899...

• Like 2

On 9/2/2017 at 17:43, drol said:

One down (Violet Brown), one to go (Nabi Tajima).

• Like 1

SMH there's always one out there.  Guess we can move this to Conspiracy Theories thread then.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, I'm just going to cross-post this here and leave it to the genealogists to discuss.

The thread for her at the 110 Club site is very telling. Robert Young of the GRG is pretty dismissive of this case and he’s the ultimate authority on this topic.

Despite media spin that Guinness World Records are “in the process” of verifying her and that her relatives “are sending the evidence soon”, the reports of her from 6+ years ago said the exact same thing.

The evidence won’t come as it doesn’t exist. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The thread for her at the 110 Club site is very telling. Robert Young of the GRG is pretty dismissive of this case and he’s the ultimate authority on this topic.

Despite media spin that Guinness World Records are “in the process” of verifying her and that her relatives “are sending the evidence soon”, the reports of her from 6+ years ago said the exact same thing.

The evidence won’t come as it doesn’t exist. 

while I don’t think she was really 124 (apparently gerontology sites and searchers are waiting for a proof for more than 6 years now), I must say I’m a bit annoyed by the constant scepticism of Dr. Robert Young. I know that working on supercentenarians is a tricky task because you have to get clear and undoubted proofs but to me it feels like Dr. young is just constantly dismissing the case which he hasn’t heard of saying « it’s too rare to reach that age without being known publicly ». It feels like he doesn’t even try to find proofs or interest in some case with that a priori scepticism. With a more neutral behaviour, maybe he could have validated some of the claimant or try to understand their real age (in susano’s case for example, maybe she was not 124 but 6 or 7 years younger are sufficient to make her one of the oldest person ever) without saying they’re all lying every time. I feel like we’re missing something with that attitude 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

while I don’t think she was really 124 (apparently gerontology sites and searchers are waiting for a proof for more than 6 years now), I must say I’m a bit annoyed by the constant scepticism of Dr. Robert Young. I know that working on supercentenarians is a tricky task because you have to get clear and undoubted proofs but to me it feels like Dr. young is just constantly dismissing the case which he hasn’t heard of saying « it’s too rare to reach that age without being known publicly ». It feels like he doesn’t even try to find proofs or interest in some case with that a priori scepticism. With a more neutral behaviour, maybe he could have validated some of the claimant or try to understand their real age (in susano’s case for example, maybe she was not 124 but 6 or 7 years younger are sufficient to make her one of the oldest person ever) without saying they’re all lying every time. I feel like we’re missing something with that attitude 

I used to feel this way, and I agree that Dr. Young's attitude online comes off pretty badly, BUT try to look at it from his perspective.
>He comes across new cases all the time, then makes the effort to get in touch (mostly by himself, on limited funds and with limited help I will add).
>He then requests evidence from the family. In many cases they don't have it, or in the Susano case, they piss around for months and then years constantly saying that it's "coming".
>Whilst he's doing this, the family is more concerned about talking to every newspaper, broadcaster and website that will entertain their elaborate story, and they continue doing this for years without presenting proof.

If I was Dr. Young, this would irritate me to no end too. This case stinks of a hoax IMO.

Yeah, if grumpiness meant people were incapable of doing their jobs well, I'd be fecked. 

• Haha 2