Godot

Leonard Cohen

Well shit, mum is going to be gutted.

Cohen dead?

Nevermind.

https://youtu.be/JZi6yIDwnxw

Oh brill. Sorry you lovelies but I really hated that awfall singer Cohen. I'm inwardly fist pumping because he did NOTHING, I REPEAT, NOTHING that was of any interest to me. Durge. Untuneful. Sad to the core. Hits you square in the side of the head with the most unhappy clout of unpleasantness on the ear.

That his passing marks the first hit on a list of ten names on the theme team in the Canadian Paul Dead Pool, that has stood the test of time since 2006.

Yippie.

• Like 1

RIP Mr. Cohen.....4th hit for me but still can't top Prince and Bowie :/ first of all because of the age difference

It wouldn't surprise me if he had, shall we say, chosen his time to depart.

It saddens me that this won't get as much news as it would have because right now they are focusing on the 2016 presidential election results

It saddens me that this won't get as much news as it would have because right now they are focusing on the 2016 presidential election results

The Today programme were giving this the works this morning. I think glad to have something to distract them but they interviewed Alistair Darling of all people about Leonard Cohen.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't really rate him very highly.

Same here. Honestly, the only song I've known him for is Hallelujah. Was he really that influential?

To me the worst death in music ever still is and forever will be... Freddie Mercury. That man was a God and there will never be another one like him.

Cohen will probably be forgotten very soon.

Same here. Honestly, the only song I've known him for is Hallelujah. Was he really that influential?

To me the worst death in music ever still is and forever will be... Freddie Mercury. That man was a God and there will never be another one like him.

If that's the only one of his songs you know, then I'd say you are in no position to judge.

As for Freddie Mercury, he was a great performer, but Leonard's skills were entirely different and the two cannot be compared.

• Like 1

If that's the only one of his songs you know, then I'd say you are in no position to judge.

As for Freddie Mercury, he was a great performer, but Leonard's skills were entirely different and the two cannot be compared.

'The rich have got their channels in the bedrooms of the poor, And there's a mighty judgement coming, but I may be wrong' Vs 'Scaramouche, Scaramouche can you do the fandango'

• Like 1

I kind of had a feeling that Leonard Cohen was going to pass away soon. After listening to that album, I thought it would be a farewell, which was correct. I didn't think it would this imminent though. I thought he would hang around till about January next year, announcing something like terminal liver cancer in December so he would be a must have for next year. Another possibility for my DDP team (although he was more instinct than ill health) gone.

• Like 1

It wasn't my intention to insult or upset any of his fans, and you're probably right that I shouldn't judge him for only one song, but I simply think that he doesn't have a great singing voice. I'll listen to some more of his songs and maybe I'll change my opinion.

It wasn't my intention to insult or upset any of his fans, and you're probably right that I shouldn't judge him for only one song, but I simply think that he doesn't have a great singing voice. I'll listen to some more of his songs and maybe I'll change my opinion.

Oh, absolutely he didn't have a great singing voice! nor did he have any such pretensions. But his words were genius, combined with deceptively simple, often haunting tunes, and his delivery suited them perfectly.

• Like 1

'The rich have got their channels in the bedrooms of the poor, And there's a mighty judgement coming, but I may be wrong' Vs 'Scaramouche, Scaramouche can you do the fandango'

Sure not in his bedroom, as he was rich as fuck. Cohen, Dylan, Mitchell, Baez were bad teachers for a whole generation of freaks and they can not be compared (though I know genres are different) to great singers like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, J. L. Lewis and even Little Richard. Revolution, but not in their backyards, fucking hypocrites with the Morgellons disease.

Sure not in his bedroom, as he was rich as f**k. Cohen, Dylan, Mitchell, Baez were bad teachers for a whole generation of freaks and they can not be compared (though I know genres are different) to great singers like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, J. L. Lewis and even Little Richard. Revolution, but not in their backyards, effing hypocrites with the Morgellons disease.

In the words of Kurt Kobain 'oh well, whatever, nevermind'.

• Like 1

Oh, absolutely he didn't have a great singing voice! nor did he have any such pretensions. But his words were genius, combined with deceptively simple, often haunting tunes, and his delivery suited them perfectly.

Yeah, I noticed that quite often people who can't sing well get famous for their texts. I absolutely love French singer Renaud Séchan. Although he doesn't have the best singing voice his texts are brilliant.

That's ok. Leonard Cohen himself said about music he doesn't like, is that he keeps his mouth shut because he knows that people don't like his music. That's not to say that you're not entitled to your opinion, but more that Cohen was acknowledging that his music wasn't going to be liked by all and sundry. It's the same with Bob Dylan, his voice, lyrics and music style are not going to be liked by all. I used to be ridiculed at school for liking his music. Now strangely enough, one of the people that used to poke fun at me is a Nick Cave fan.

I guess you could call Leonard Cohen's music "musical marmite".

• Like 1

Not so surprising after his last album, his letter to Marianne and his last interview, although I must admit I could not foresee this just one year ago.

I even went as far to diss a Guest arguing for his inclusion. Dear Guest, you were right, so please forgive me for being skeptical! :)

David Remnick - who interviewed Cohen in the summer for The New Yorker magazine - said during The New Yorker Radio Hour on Thursday (11.10.16): "When I visited Cohen in Los Angeles he was suffering from cancer although he was keeping that very private. He was in deep pain from compression fractures in his spine and he had to sit in a big blue medical chair to ease that pain.

"He was very thin already. Maybe 105, 110lbs. But I've got to say he was in an ebullient mood for a man who knew where life was taking him and he was headed there in a hurry."

I was going to include him on my own 2017 list for sure - but he's departed even faster than I'd expected.

His new album will now be critically re-evaluated as if another Blackstar...

Focus on his lyrics rather than his voice. Some of the tribute album "I'm Your Fan" is a good example. I like The Pixies version of "I can't forget".

I kind of had a feeling that Leonard Cohen was going to pass away soon. After listening to that album, I thought it would be a farewell, which was correct. I didn't think it would this imminent though. I thought he would hang around till about January next year, announcing something like terminal liver cancer in December so he would be a must have for next year. Another possibility for my DDP team (although he was more instinct than ill health) gone.

Wonder if the whole concept of the "near death album" that we've seen with Blackstar and You Want It Darker will become a more common thing in the future as a whole generation of popular musicians near the end of their lives?

If so, I can't wait to hear what Rick Astley's attempt will sound like...

Wonder if the whole concept of the "near death album" that we've seen with Blackstar and You Want It Darker will become a more common thing in the future as a whole generation of popular musicians near the end of their lives?

No dissing Rick girl-says-no-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 5

No dissing Rick girl-says-no-no-smiley-emoticon.gif

Not dissing Rick at all actually - just can't imagine him ever making that type of album.

Anyway, he looks like a picture of health and I would not be at all surprised if he sees 90, if he can look that good at 50.