Sandy Gall

Robert M Pirsig

Lester Piggott

Murray Walker

Gordon Banks

Stephen Hawking

Paul Gascoigne

Number one should either be a terminal, or if not, Kirk Douglas

I guess it's time I make my annual [dis]appearance on this site. I'll skip names that aren't really famous outside of Canada (Gord Downie, Bryan Murray or PM John Turner), so here are my suggestions:

Ingvar Kamprad: IKEA founder- Recent broken hip (though recovered), battled ill health all year, turned 90

Aretha Franklin: Singer- Cancelling lots of shows all year long because of undisclosed ill health (despite weight loss)

Morrissey: Singer- Still has cancer, still fighting it, still cancelling shows, worth a punt.

Pete Way: Guitarist- Had prostate cancer, heart attack a few months ago, string of rock-n-roll lifestyle health problems (No idea if he's famous in the UK, but he was born there so I'll mention him anyway)

Beverly Cleary: Author (Ramona the Pest)- old, but not sure if my favourite books from childhood were popular across the pond.

Gillian Anderson: X-Files- Pancreatic Cancer (Ha! Made you look!)

I.M. Pei: Archtect- Not an original suggestion (I've seen his name in a few signatures over the years), but a prominent architect (designed the Louvre) turns 99 and requires round-the-clock health monitoring.

That's all that comes to top-of-mind. All others have been suggested already (Gregg Allman, King of Romania, etc.)

I guess it's time I make my annual [dis]appearance on this site. I'll skip names that aren't really famous outside of Canada (Gord Downie, Bryan Murray or PM John Turner), so here are my suggestions:

Ingvar Kamprad: IKEA founder- Recent broken hip (though recovered), battled ill health all year, turned 90

Aretha Franklin: Singer- Cancelling lots of shows all year long because of undisclosed ill health (despite weight loss)

Morrissey: Singer- Still has cancer, still fighting it, still cancelling shows, worth a punt.

Pete Way: Guitarist- Had prostate cancer, heart attack a few months ago, string of rock-n-roll lifestyle health problems (No idea if he's famous in the UK, but he was born there so I'll mention him anyway)

Beverly Cleary: Author (Ramona the Pest)- old, but not sure if my favourite books from childhood were popular across the pond.

Gillian Anderson: X-Files- Pancreatic Cancer (Ha! Made you look!) :ninja:

I.M. Pei: Archtect- Not an original suggestion (I've seen his name in a few signatures over the years), but a prominent architect (designed the Louvre) turns 99 and requires round-the-clock health monitoring.

That's all that comes to top-of-mind. All others have been suggested already (Gregg Allman, King of Romania, etc.)

Also, Peter Falk has Alzheimer's... I forgot to mention...

• Like 1

Totally random and extremely unlikely, but if I were George North I'd be hanging up my boots right now. if he gets another big hit (a big 'if') during a game he could have problems.

Whatever happens he is going to have a difficult time when he is in middle age

Made you look!)

Jeez, he must be REALLY old.

• Like 5

I feel personally that Stan Lee is too big to miss. Like Douglas or the Prince.

I keep tellin' ya, Stan Lee not dyin' nuff said!

Since when did Gillian Anderson have pancreatic cancer?

My 2017 shadow list FAO the committee:

1)Kirk Douglas

2)Billy Graham

3)Herman Wouk

4)Tony Booth

5)Leah Bracknell

6)Jake LaMotta

7)Clare Hollingworth

8)David Rockefeller

9)Nobby Stiles

10)Peter Sallis

11)Denis Norden

12)John Noakes

13)Clive James

14)Vera Lynn

15)Glen Campbell

16)Valerie Harper

17)Colin Meads

18)Jacques Chirac

19)Olivia de Havilland

20)Gerd Muller

21)Pierre Cardin

22)Ian Brady

23)Helmut Kohl

24)George H W Bush

25)Mario Soares

26)Javier Perez de Cuellar

27)Liz Dawn

28)Kenneth Cope

29)Joanne Woodward

30)Peter Carrington

31)Prince Philip

32)Nicholas Parsons

33)Charles Aznavour

34)Jerry Lewis

35)Robert Mugabe

36)Fats Domino

37)Sara Coward

38)Sheila Mercier

39)Douglas Hurd

40)Jill Gascoine

41)Kenny Sansom

42)Tony Iommi

43)Joost van der Westhuizen

44)Prunella Scales

45)Betty White

46)Carol Channing

47)Henry Kissinger

48)Bob Dole

49)Stan Lee

50)Gordon Banks

Subs:

1)Stefan Karl Stefannson

2)Terry Jones

3)Ray Wilson

Made you look!)

Rumour has it he's actually a zombie, so I'm not sure if he's eligible for the deathlist after all.

Now that all of my credibility is gone, I will correct myself and say he designed the 'Louvre pyramid'

• Like 1

Forgot Leslie Phillips and Brucie.We defo need to keep them.

He's too big to miss. Nuff said.
  • Like 1

Made you look!)

He's French? :scratchhead:

He's too big to miss. Nuff said.

Not dyin' not missin'.

If you did the list based on people who were too big to miss it wouldn't be a 'death' list it would be a 'who's really famous' list.

And if you did it on that basis Death list would get about one hit a year.

The Committee have got balls (or possibly big bushy bushes for all I know) coz they dropped Ali for a couple of years and they judged that one right.

Lots of famous people die as this year proves and there are lots and lots of famous people - some die suddenly, some give lots of warning.

Who the fuck is Stan Lee anyhow? He created some comic characters like Spiderman, the Hulk etc - it's not exactly inventing a cure for cancer is it?

I do know who he is but 90% of people round the world wouldn't have a scoobies so he wouldn't get on most people's lists of 50 people too big to miss anyhow.

• Like 1

He's the most famous comic creator in the world and those comics burgeoned a multi-billion dollar film industry that has been accessed by most kids and many adults for the last several generations, he'd be top news on BBC, NBC, ABC, RT when he dies. Stan Lee is not a who the fuck is he pick.

• Like 5

If you did the list based on people who were too big to miss it wouldn't be a 'death' list it would be a 'who's really famous' list.

The Committee have got balls (or possibly big bushy bushes for all I know) coz they dropped Ali for a couple of years and they judged that one right.

Lots of famous people die as this year proves and there are lots and lots of famous people - some die suddenly, some give lots of warning.

Who the fuck is Stan Lee anyhow? He created some comic characters like Spiderman, the Hulk etc - it's not exactly inventing a cure for cancer is it?

I do know who he is but 90% of people round the world wouldn't have a scoobies so he wouldn't get on most people's lists of 50 people too big to miss anyhow.

You are kidding right?Stan Lee is one of the most famous people in the world alive at the moment.

• Like 5

Your argument on saying the whole list shouldn't be based on who's too big to miss. I get that. It's when they reach a certain age point like 90 is when some people too big to miss should show up.

"Too big to miss" is limited to those who've been on 6 or more Deathlists, or those who are in the Queen/Pope/President class, imo.

Others are in the "that's a bugger" category if they're missed.

Anyhow, Stan Lee is in the 20-30 category - might stay on, might drop off. I'd drop him to keep others. Who knows what the Cmme will do?

You are kidding right?Stan Lee is one of the most famous people in the world alive at the moment.

He's relatively well-known (and probably mainly amongst white middle class males) but not in the top-tier of famous. My mum and dad wouldn't have a clue who he is, for example. Unlike, say, Stephen Hawking or Clive James.

• Like 2

Your argument on saying the whole list shouldn't be based on who's too big to miss. I get that. It's when they reach a certain age point like 90 is when some people too big to miss should show up.

No I disagree.

Surely the Death List is a list of 50 famous people who the Committee guess may die in the next year. It is a list of skill, research and complete guesswork but it should not be a list of fear for missing someone because they are getting on a bit.

Do the committee think Stan Lee will die in the next twelve months? Yes - get him on the list. No - don't put him on the list.

There are more than 50 very famous people over 90 alive today of which the Queen is now one, as is Stan Lee but how many do you include before you start missing out on younger people who actually have a medical diagnosis suggesting their time is nearly up?

(although having blethered on about all that I went to this year's list to back up my argument to discover that 10 of the 12 hits were 89 or over so.....)

It's actually 9 out of 12: Crowe, Ali, and the Thai King. The committee are more likely to go for the old than the young who are actually ill.

He's relatively well-known (and probably mainly amongst white middle class white males) but not in the top-tier of famous. My mum and dad wouldn't have a clue who he is, for example. Unlike, say, Stephen Hawking or Clive James.

Clive James. who adorns the walls of every young black working class female?

• Like 5

He probably thinks the same thing about Hugh Hefner, & would be like "Why'd you add him? Cause he's old? Who is he? Oh sure, he created Playboy, but that means nothing, nobody knows what Playboy is, or who Hugh Hefner is" :P My point is, both Stan Lee & Hugh Hefner are World famous, basically. Yeah, sure, not everybody will know of them, but a majority of the population will have heard of them.

• Like 2

He's the most famous comic creator in the world and those comics burgeoned a multi-billion dollar film industry that has been accessed by most kids and many adults for the last several generations, he'd be top news on BBC, NBC, ABC, RT when he dies. Stan Lee is not a who the fuck is he pick.

He is to me, because I've never read any of those comics. I was a Beano and Dandy girl.

Films, that sort of thing isn't really my cup of tea. I saw the first Superman film, but that's all I can think of. Is Superman one of his?

• Like 1