Deathray

Who Should Be On The 2017 Deathlist?

You forgot Castro, another one of those picks who the only way out is dying picks.

No, he's right there.

*innocent face*

• Like 1

John Wetton-Like other's have mentioned already in this thread,close to a dead cert with various ailments.As a founding member of King Crimson would be a pretty notable miss if he was not on the list

Huston Smith-In his late 90's and has been in Hospice care since 2015. Really surprised he is still around.

Monica Vitti-Has had Alzheimer's since 2001

Just like 2016 seemed to purge a lot of classic rock stars,2017 might be the year when some of the Sex Symbols from 60's European Cinema now in their late 70's and 80's start dropping

Lewis Gilbert- Director of Multiple James Bond films+Alfie

Turns 97 next year. Was pretty frail in his last public interview 3 years ago

Also strongly recomended the dead certs like Colin Meads,Errol Christie,Bracknell etc

• Like 3

Yeah, the thing about Errol Christie is...

How famous is he?

That's a question for the boxing fans, incidentally.

How famous is he?

Errol Christie doesn't really feel deathlisty. Will he get a QO in the DDP? Absolutely. He'll get the daily mail and ITV easily. But I'd be stunned if he gets a BBC obit or something like that.
  • Like 1

How famous is he?

Nah, he's definitely not DL worthy. While undoubtedly a fascinating and inspirational character given what he's had to deal with in his life, he was only ever a journeyman who luckily had his journeyman days during the time ITV had boxing on regularly so he got plenty of TV coverage. If he's remembered today, it's because he had a worse chin than Roger Ebert.

Sidney Poitier: First black actor to win an oscar

Not true, unless you are distinguishing between actors and actresses, which seems to be no longer the done thing.

Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar in 1940 for 'Gone With The Wind', over 20 years before Poitier.

I was distinguishing between actors and actresses -I was aware of Hattie.

How famous is he?

Nah, he's definitely not DL worthy. While undoubtedly a fascinating and inspirational character given what he's had to deal with in his life, he was only ever a journeyman who luckily had his journeyman days during the time ITV had boxing on regularly so he got plenty of TV coverage. If he's remembered today, it's because he had a worse chin than Roger Ebert.

I thought as much, but yeah, my knowledge of boxing doesn't extend much beyond Bruno, Tyson, Ali...

Not true, unless you are distinguishing between actors and actresses, which seems to be no longer the done thing.

Hattie McDaniel won an Oscar in 1940 for 'Gone With The Wind', over 20 years before Poitier.

That's amazing - you sounded just like joeyruss then.

• Like 3

I was going to say, but thought I'd missed something. Which isn't unheard of.

• Like 2

I thought I missed something as well...

Glad to see others are rooting for John Wetton - honestly I'm amazed he's made it this long already with metastatic cancer, recent bouts of sepsis, a history of heart disease, diabetes and alcoholism.

Let's put it this way: if Wetton is still alive on January 1st, 2018 I will be shocked.

In fact, I am so convinced that Wetton is on the way out, I would put him up there in the top 5 with Zsa Zsa et al.

Apart from him though...

AA Gill - the "full English of cancer" - sounds like a dead cert

Leah Bracknell - terminal lung cancer - obviously a very good pick

There are countless other names - but it's a question of picking the good ones.

Hopefully the Committee will pick names like Wetton, Gill and Bracknell who are obviously seriously ill and highly likely to die as well as the old and frail like Peter Sallis, and all the other ones we already know about, and those that we don't.

The Deathlist this year was poor - in a year of many celebrity deaths - because the Committee didn't go for the obviously ill and the obviously old and frail - they went for a lot of names who were in their late 70s and early 80s and not really in such a poor state of health to be prime Deathlist material.

There have been some really bad misses in recent years. For example:

2016 - Howard Marks

2015 - Sir Nicholas Winton

2014 - Ariel Sharon

Hopefully the Committee will learn to avoid missing obvious picks like these...

Glad to see others are rooting for John Wetton - honestly I'm amazed he's made it this long already with metastatic cancer, recent bouts of sepsis, a history of heart disease, diabetes and alcoholism.

Let's put it this way: if Wetton is still alive on January 1st, 2018 I will be shocked.

In fact, I am so convinced that Wetton is on the way out, I would put him up there in the top 5 with Zsa Zsa et al.

Apart from him though...

AA Gill - the "full English of cancer" - sounds like a dead cert

Leah Bracknell - terminal lung cancer - obviously a very good pick

There are countless other names - but it's a question of picking the good ones.

Hopefully the Committee will pick names like Wetton, Gill and Bracknell who are obviously seriously ill and highly likely to die as well as the old and frail like Peter Sallis, and all the other ones we already know about, and those that we don't.

The Deathlist this year was poor - in a year of many celebrity deaths - because the Committee didn't go for the obviously ill and the obviously old and frail - they went for a lot of names who were in their late 70s and early 80s and not really in such a poor state of health to be prime Deathlist material.

There have been some really bad misses in recent years. For example:

2016 - Howard Marks

2015 - Sir Nicholas Winton

2014 - Ariel Sharon/Wojiech Jaruzelski

Hopefully the Committee will learn to avoid missing obvious picks like these...

Added another miss for you.
  • Like 1

You think Marks was bad, you should have seen the furore over Hitchens.

• Like 1

Not at all -I mentioned Sidney being the first black actor in my original earlier post and When I checked on the forum before after a lie down /catnap and I spotted that post I thought mistakenly it was in response to my original post as I didn't look properly.

I can be a little bit hasty when and premature when I see stuff onscreen sometimes as my premature post over Walter Mondales daughter's death illustrates!

Not at all -I mentioned Sidney being the first black actor in my original earlier post and When I checked on the forum before after a lie down /catnap and I spotted that post I thought mistakenly it was in response to my original post as I didn't look properly.

I can be a little bit hasty when and premature when I see stuff onscreen sometimes as my premature post over Walter Mondales daughter's death illustrates!

Whilst that is a perfectly fair and rational reasoning, it is far more fun to assume you and joeyruss to be the same account. so I'm going to continue doing that.

• Like 1

Whilst that is a perfectly fair and rational reasoning, it is far more fun to assume you and joeyruss to be the same account. so I'm going to continue doing that.

Arr you make a good philosophical illustration of the difference sometimes between fun and truth!

I'll just throw in some names I like to see, some old, and some ill.

Sidney Poitier: First black actor to win an oscar, as well as some iconic roles such as his roles in In The Heat Of The Night and Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

John Glenn: One of the last great astronauts, I think it would be an achievement to see a great astronaut to be on deathlist

John Wetton: Prog Rocker who has metastatic cancer, as well as heart problems and Sepsis. Definitely one to consider for deathlist

Gregg Allman: He had pneumonia earlier this year, and now has canceled more concerts due to vocal issues. One to watch: if he gets a gofundme page, he'll become a must have.

Wholly concur with you about John Glenn -I think in terms of recognition of his achievements he'd be a worthy name to put on the list.

I've spotted your post now - it was in a different thread.

But you said Poitier was "the first African American actor to win a best actor Oscar" which is correct, as you specified "Best Actor".

Hattie McDaniel's Oscar was for Best Supporting Actress. So no issue there.

• Like 1

I would like to nominate the American actress Dyan Cannon for the following reasons:

1. The event that inspired the birth of the Death List was Cary Grant's death. In 2017, we will celebrate the deathpool's 30th birthday. So, it would be a neat idea to include someone associated with Cary as a way to honour him on this special anniversary. Edited to add: She was his fourth wife.

2. Dyan may not exactly be a household name, but she did get three Academy Awards nominations throughout her career so she's not an obscure actress.

3. There are no reported health issues, but I think we could spare one spot on the list for one "symbolic" entry (see 1st point). Also, at age 79, she's no spring chicken!

4. Since Magere's mysterious disappearence, the only administrator who, well administrates, this forum is Paul Bearer. Including Dyan would also be a way to honour him for his commitment. How? Well, one of Dyan's Oscar nominations was for a 1978 movie called Heaven Can Wait. And as we know, that was Paul's previous account name.

• Like 5

I've spotted your post now - it was in a different thread.

But you said Poitier was "the first African American actor to win a best actor Oscar" which is correct, as you specified "Best Actor".

Hattie McDaniel's Oscar was for Best Supporting Actress. So no issue there.

Indeed!But my mind wasn't thinking that clearly when I had just woken from the land of zzzzzz a few hour's ago!I only realised half an hour ago that I'd posted that on a different thread rather than the same thread

I would like to nominate the American actress Dyan Cannon for the following reasons:

1. The man who inspired the birth of the Death List was Cary Grant's death. In 2017, we will celebrate the deathpool's 30th birthday. So, it would be a neat idea to include someone associated with Cary as a way to honour him on this special anniversary.

2. Dyan may not exactly be a household name, but she did get three Academy Awards nominations throughout her career so she's not an obscure actress.

3. There are no reported health issues, but I think we could spare one spot on the list for a "symbolic" entry (see 1st point). Also, at age 79, she's no spring chicken!

4. Since Magere's mysterious disappearence, the only administrator who, well administrates, this forum is Paul Bearer. Including Dyan would also be a way to honour him for his committment, How? Well, one of Dyan's Oscar nominations was for a 1978 movie called Heaven Can Wait. And as we know, that was Paul's previous account name.

And she turns 80 next year -an age that nudges up the odds and a person's worthiness of consideration for the list.

1. The man who inspired the birth of the Death List was Cary Grant's death. In 2017, we will celebrate the deathpool's 30th birthday. So, it would be a neat idea to include someone associated with Cary as a way to honour him on this special anniversary.

3. There are no reported health issues, but I think we could spare one spot on the list for one "symbolic" entry (see 1st point). Also, at age 79, she's no spring chicken!

4. Since Magere's mysterious disappearence, the only administrator who, well administrates, this forum is Paul Bearer. Including Dyan would also be a way to honour him for his committment, How? Well, one of Dyan's Oscar nominations was for a 1978 movie called Heaven Can Wait. And as we know, that was Paul's previous account name.

Good job presenting her... except that this is actually going to be the 31st anniversary of deathlist, not the 30th.

• Like 1

Good job presenting her... except that this is actually going to be the 31st anniversary of deathlist, not the 30th.

True, but if we turn back the clock exactly thirty years, we will end up in November 1986, which is right before the first Death List was launched.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+dowager+duchess+of+grafton&client=ms-android-sonymobile&prmd=inv&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSg7-JkcLQAhXiJ8AKHWMsDb4Q_AUIBCgA&biw=360&bih=512&dpr=3

I definitely think 96 year old aristocrat The Dowager Duchess of Grafton should be considered for the list.

Whilst not a household name and slightly obscure she is guaranteed an obituary in a couple of UK broadsheets (I think she used to be a lady in waiting or some other royal patronage type role to The Queen not 100 percent on that!) ... And well she's no spring chicken...