msc

So, How's Your 2017 Shortlist Looking?

I've drafted teams for Hares, Deathrace, etc. Willz was even nice enough to adjudicate on the acceptability of a potential Hares pick, without blabbing it to other contestants. (Wont be unique anyhow, but still...)

As for the DDP, I'm just going to grab the first twenty names I see on Twitter, and hope that they are celebrities, humans and ill.

Goddamnit, I found a name pretty likely to obit (but you never know with one-hit wonders, especially because s/he was just a member of the band), pretty likely to die, but just a little old. I have no space anymore, but might make some if s/he is a unique hit. But I'm only 75% sure s/he's unique, gaaaahhhh.... And why didn't I find that name when the news was fresh, a couple of months ago?

Strangely enough, I found a name today that ticks pretty much all those boxes, right down to being somewhat old news (except they aren't a musician). Might bring them into my team.

I can't seem to find that person, but I did find someone looking at the article that looks like to be a goner in 2017 and I believe it's my best bet for a unique. I'm probably going to play them.

I think I'm reaching a point where I'm starting to overthink this. When I put on the hopefully unique person on my provisional team, the person I had to drop (in my eyes at least) was Nobby Stiles. I've now have sentenced him to death so you might want to pick him :P

I hate this phase.

Oh it's a long standing tradition that folk I drop snuff it the following year: Coase and Clerides in 2013, Martinus and Jardine in 2014, Woodhead and Cole in 2015, and even Aherne and Briggs in 2016. That's a better statistical jinx than the Deathlist, probably, who are good at that kind of thing.

On an entirely unrelated note, neither Keith Farnham or the Bishop Robinson will be making my 2017 team.

Goddamnit, I found a name pretty likely to obit (but you never know with one-hit wonders, especially because s/he was just a member of the band), pretty likely to die, but just a little old. I have no space anymore, but might make some if s/he is a unique hit. But I'm only 75% sure s/he's unique, gaaaahhhh.... And why didn't I find that name when the news was fresh, a couple of months ago?

Strangely enough, I found a name today that ticks pretty much all those boxes, right down to being somewhat old news (except they aren't a musician). Might bring them into my team.

A one-hit-actor? I was a little disappointed to find out that Bud Cort (Harold and Maude's Harold) is neither particularly old nor particularly unwell. He's a future Deathlist mascot.

Gosh, there's a whole lot of effort going into this. My list has four people on it so far, it was five until that pesky Tunisian terrorist got his comeuppance.

Gosh, there's a whole lot of effort going into this. My list has four people on it so far, it was five until that pesky Tunisian terrorist got his comeuppance.

Got to wait for the peyote, no?

• Like 1

:ph34r: In the overthinking/2nd guessing every pick phase

Actually when I look over my shortlist I find the same 16 names lock into my team in my head. It's a matter of assorting the other potentially wonderful candidates into four spots, and swearing as locks snuff it before January 1st.

Haven't started yet. Plenty of time yet.

think_smiley_41.gif

A one-hit-actor? I was a little disappointed to find out that Bud Cort (Harold and Maude's Harold) is neither particularly old nor particularly unwell. He's a future Deathlist mascot.

Oh, I guess the other difference is I'm not sure if one-hit wonder can describe them. May or may not be an actor.

That's all I'm giving out hintwise, hopefully "non-musician might die next year" doesn't give anything away via Google ;)

Oh it's a long standing tradition that folk I drop snuff it the following year: Coase and Clerides in 2013, Martinus and Jardine in 2014, Woodhead and Cole in 2015, and even Aherne and Briggs in 2016. That's a better statistical jinx than the Deathlist, probably, who are good at that kind of thing.

On an entirely unrelated note, neither Keith Farnham or the Bishop Robinson will be making my 2017 team.

I've likewise always had at least one DDP name fall off the perch the year I drop them. Jardine and Franz, then Porcaro, then Aherne, Granger, and Whitworth. So I've probably signed the death warrant for at least one of Langhorne, NakaMats, and Wicks.

*checks Google*

Aha, "non-musician might die next year" indeed, I'm making him or her my joker now!

:P

• Like 3

Looking at my team at the moment, currently half of the members I would consider likely drop 40 candidates, the other half won't though.

I'm not adding Carrie Fisher, I don't think she'll see the starting line to be honest.

I'm not adding Carrie Fisher, I don't think she'll see the starting line to be honest.

She made the terminal.

• Like 2

Something that I hate is when somebody mentions a dead-cert on a thread because "a lot of teams will have them anyway" or "to help them make the Drop 40", but I ain't never heard of 'em. Maybe I'm not so much of a top 20 contender after all.

Something that I hate is when somebody mentions a dead-cert on a thread because "a lot of teams will have them anyway" or "to help them make the Drop 40", but I ain't never heard of 'em. Maybe I'm not so much of a top 20 contender after all.

Gamesmanship. Doncha just love it.

• Like 1

For the first time in a while, I found someone that wasn't fringes of fame/cancer mum type of illness. Of course, I see little to no chance of a DDP obit for this one. Probably will put them in deathrace though.

I agree sometimes people take it to far, like the time someone did a Gord Downie,King Michael I and Errol Christie walk into a bar joke.

Oh it appears that folks misunderstood my previous comment.

I didn't mean that I thought it's absurd people are picking folks I never heard of for their teams.

What I meant was that I get worried when somebody mentions someone as a popular/possible Drop 40 pick, and I didn't even have them on my list.

My shortlist is currently down to about 30, including Princess Leia at the moment cause I want to see how her story evolves. Looking at my team at the moment, I think I have a legitimate top 20 shot for this. Although something I noticed is there is a crap ton of musicians on there. No idea why.

Musicians tend to be a good source of DDP hits, iirc.

As I said myself earlier in the year...

What I make of this is more than anything is that music folk who end up on my DDP best be preparing their wills; 18 names from this field picked in my four DDP years yet only five are still alive, three of them who are on my team this year.

Incidentally, that survival count has fallen to four since.

• Like 2