themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

I already sent my theme team to you, as I think you saw. Thanks for running this again (is this your 8th year running? I think that's a record.) This will be my first year competing, and I hope I do well, though I probably won't.

• Like 1

Hi everybody! Hope you all are doing well. What a coincidence that MiB just posted this topic, because I just came in to let you all know that sadly I will not be entering team name Star Dust in this year's competition. I've recently taken a highly time/energy-consuming career path and have not brought myself to do much research. I'll still however put in my theme team The Bedsoring '20s. I'll try and bring back Star Dust in the future. I hope you guys have fun together this deathpooling season!

• Like 7

Obviously my main team won't be sent to the end of the year.

• Like 1

Hi everybody! Hope you all are doing well. What a coincidence that MiB just posted this topic, because I just came in to let you all know that sadly I will not be entering team name Star Dust in this year's competition. I've recently taken a highly time/energy-consuming career path and have not brought myself to do much research. I'll still however put in my theme team The Bedsoring '20s. I'll try and bring back Star Dust in the future. I hope you guys have fun together this deathpooling season!

Good to see you pop in! Here's hoping your path takes you far.

• Like 1

Ah, that's a shame, but good luck!

• Like 1

Looking forward to what happens to the Drop 40 given the added points.

• Like 1

Latest update...

...and we're back in business.

Good luck everyone!

Is it still two theme teams per player?

"There is a maximum number of 3 teams per individual (can be any combination of normal and theme teams) although there are some cases that certain emails will contain many teams as part of a "syndicate" of different teams."

giphy.gif

Could this be the Drive for Five?

Ah I feels for you TMIB. All the very best in collating the entries and all the hard work that follows.

I'll try and get my teams to you as soon as possible (via the email as always) which at least will ease the pressure going into 2017.

giphy.gif

Now be careful Spade. You don't want to run out of energy before the race begins, do you?

I'll be sending in my teams shortly. Thanks for the hard work and good luck to all!

love the new rule change about the Drop 40- it has saved Zsa Zsa from the axe, and perhaps might help us all move away from cancer bloggers?

However can I just be a bit pedantic here.

To win points, there must be the mention of a celebrity's death on a national online news source:
BBC*:
And from the UK versions of the following:
...and from these news sites:
It sounds like a death must be mentioned on the BBC AND in newspaper AND on a news site. So each death needs 3 qualifying mentions for it to count.
Should it be OR instead of AND, or is this indeed a change, which would basically eliminate all but well known celebs and high achievers from the competition?

giphy.gif

Let's get #4 out of the way first. Hopefully my leaking of confidential information to al-Baghdadi to ensure he won't get a drone up his arse before January 1 will pay off.

You could turn that into a game. ie:

Aha, so that's why Terri Roberts went off the grid!

Aha, so that's why DI picked a movie character!

Aha, so that's why Doc Sims keeps getting these new experimental drugs!

And so on. All part of the great DQSP network!

Heh.

giphy.gif

Let's get #4 out of the way first. Hopefully my leaking of confidential information to al-Baghdadi to ensure he won't get a drone up his arse before January 1 will pay off.

I'm a firm believer in karma, so am confident I'll be getting good news about al-Baghdadi on Christmas day.

• Like 2

Started calculating the probability of who is most likely to be on the Drop 40.Can easily guess over twenty names I would put good money on making an appearance.I bet Zsa Zsa won`t be 1st next year though.

love the new rule change about the Drop 40- it has saved Zsa Zsa from the axe, and perhaps might help us all move away from cancer bloggers?

However can I just be a bit pedantic here.

To win points, there must be the mention of a celebrity's death on a national online news source:

BBC*:

And from the UK versions of the following:

...and from these news sites:

It sounds like a death must be mentioned on the BBC AND in newspaper AND on a news site. So each death needs 3 qualifying mentions for it to count.

Should it be OR instead of AND, or is this indeed a change, which would basically eliminate all but well known celebs and high achievers from the competition?

Of course it should be or.

EDIT: It is or, but the email I sent was a somewhat hurried cut 'n paste job from last year's email, so forgot to replace the ands with ors, but it's there in the Rules & Scoring page. So carry on...

I have emailed you three teams

Gooseberry Crumble, apricot Crumble and blueberry Crumble!

Let me know if there's any problems

Cheers and many thanks.

Cheers and many thanks.

Crumbs!

• Like 4

Cheers and many thanks.

Crumbs!

May the best Crumble win!

IMPORTANT(ish) NOTICE:

Next year, the site will have a bit of a face lift. Make things a bit more readable for a start. The pictures & archive issue is being tackled as it's all a bit of a mess.

So, I shall be temporarily removing celeb pictures form the site. They wont be abolished as I haven't come up with a way of removing the link when generating new pages. So it will the same as before in 2017 in terms of the celebs involved having their own pictures (including the new ones).

However when it comes to the archives (2004-2016 inclusive) there will be changes in the manner of the 2003 archive (pictures of celebs on the "Who Died" section - no pictures of non-dying celebs in the main celeb pages). So, I'm shipping them all out...but they'll be back in another format.

2017 will have new, more integrated look (the tricky bit is working out the CSS for the generated pages which I inherited to match what I've created for the index, theme team & drop forty pages as they're a bit of a bastard to work out!).

Seeing as the archive update will cover 13 years, this will take a bit of time and will be rolled out through 2017...

Some other bits and pieces: As part of the simpler, cleaner feel of the new pages, the schema for names (and possibly places of birth too) is being simplified - no accents, umlauts or other faggly bits. Don't worry when sending teams if they have those things - as part of the process of entry I have an online function which converts to "normal" characters. I'm trying to apply some consistency. I may even just have birthplace to City/Country or County (State)/Country etc, rather than some of the more baroque birthplaces I've had to enter over the years...

As you were...

• Like 3

Ok TMIB I have emailed my 3 teams over to the Deadpool email address, and hope they are received ok.

Let's hope I don't have to email you again in case of deaths in the next fortnight!!!

Well, for my 2nd year in the DDP, I'mma change my team name to "For Them The Bell Tolls", featuring a pretty common pick as a joker, a couple of shameless types, and one incredibly strange, hopefully unique, pick that could come in handy when I need it most.

I will be submitting my team in the days following Christmas.
Beware Deathlisters, my team might actually not be so crappy in 2017.

• Like 1