The Dead Cow

Inverse Dead Pool 2017

As I would expect, not a lot of people picked King Michael of Romania...

A long-overdue update following the death of the King of Romania. Three teams took the Michael and are royally reprimanded for their misjudgment. Changes to the scoreboard are insignificant. Drol continues his reign in the final days of this competition, will he be King of the IDP come January 1st?

Here are the scores!

1st - Drol - 25 points

2nd - Shaun of the Dead - 44 points

3rd - Grim Up North - 45 points

=4th - Bert Trautmann - 52 points

=4th  - CaptainChorizo - 52 points

6th - gcreptile - 55 points

7th - Book - 56 points

8th - The Unknown Man - 57 points

9th - Bibliogryphon - 58 points

10th - msc - 60 points

11th - The Mad Hatter - 61 points

12th - Dr_T - 65 points

=13th - Garn2 - 66 points

=13th - YoungWillz - 66 points

15th - WednesdayAddams - 68 points

16th - Death Impends - 69 points

17th - Phantom of the Midway - 71 points

18th - Toast - 79 points

=19th - esher - 87 points

=19th - Pedro67 - 87 points

=21st - Deathray - 88 points

=21st - Joeyruss - 88 points

23rd - rockhopperpenguin - 97 points

=24th  - CharonsCrew - 99 points

=24th - GraveDanger - 99  points

26th  - Switch - 106 points

27th - Dead Cow - 118 points

28th - Angels - 134 points

In other news, I am considering stepping down as host of the Inverse Dead Pool. Unfortunately, uni work and health issues have rendered me inefficient, so I think it's for the best that someone else takes over. The decision is not yet final, so I'll let you folks know come New Year's Day, but in the meantime, if you'd be interested in hosting the IDP just let me know.

Hope you are ok Dead Cow. Concentrate on getting well.

• Like 1

Get well soon Dead Cow.

• Like 1

Sounds strange......wishing a dead cow to get well.

Haha, well I can only wish to feel a little less dead.

Just to clarify, it's nothing life-threatening and I shouldn't be considered for dead pooling purposes. It's just side effects of medication are making me rather lethargic, hopefully they'll wear off soon enough.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

Haha, well I can only wish to feel a little less dead.

Just to clarify, it's nothing life-threatening and I shouldn't be considered for dead pooling purposes. It's just side effects of medication are making me rather lethargic, hopefully they'll wear off soon enough.

Ok, scratch the Dead Cow from my Deathrace team and put in Joey Russ, unless he went to the doctor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well, if it is open to new players, I would like to submit in 2018.  Also I could give hosting a shot, but I would like to post the 50 as a list of my own that everyone else draws from.  It would be a mix of old and young, famous and less famous, UK and US.  But I am US based so I would have that bias.  I could promise to update about once a month, assuming changes in the scores.  Maybe more if there is a lot of activity.  Just offering.

11 minutes ago, Wormfarmer said:

Well, if it is open to new players, I would like to submit in 2018.  Also I could give hosting a shot, but I would like to post the 50 as a list of my own that everyone else draws from.  It would be a mix of old and young, famous and less famous, UK and US.  But I am US based so I would have that bias.  I could promise to update about once a month, assuming changes in the scores.  Maybe more if there is a lot of activity.  Just offering.

No. The intention has always been to draw from the 50 most popular DDP picks, there is absolutely no need to change that format at all, as it has been run very well the way that it has been since 2011. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

No. The intention has always been to draw from the 50 most popular DDP picks, there is absolutely no need to change that format at all, as it has been run very well the way that it has been since 2011. 

Good enough.  I'll submit if it's open to newcomers.  By the way, rest up Dead Cow. 

Oh, just curious, how do we know what the Top 50 are in the Derby (I am assuming that is the DDP you are referring to)?  I know they post their Drop Dead 40 list, but does someone (Dead Cow) have to go through all the entries to figure out #41 - 50?  Glad it's not me. 

On 12/28/2017 at 04:19, Wormfarmer said:

Oh, just curious, how do we know what the Top 50 are in the Derby (I am assuming that is the DDP you are referring to)?  I know they post their Drop Dead 40 list, but does someone (Dead Cow) have to go through all the entries to figure out #41 - 50?  Glad it's not me. 

Yeah, but it's really not that bad. Before this year the Drop 40 was never revealed until usually the second update of the year, so I would have to through and figure out all 50 of the picks. Now that was hell.

But really, I just scroll through all the picks and look for the ones that were picked by a significant number of teams, then I'd Ctrl-F their name in the teams list to quickly find out how many teams picked them. I'd note this down and then continue until I've gone through all the picks and I have the top 50. Usually takes an hour or two.

Would it not be a lot easier to do a bit of Cross Dead Pool Organiser cooperation and ask Spade (now previously MiB) who the picks 41-50 are as he will already have them in a spreadsheet/database/whatever? 

Therefore 1 to 2 hours would become 5 minutes.

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

Would it not be a lot easier to do a bit of Cross Dead Pool Organiser cooperation and ask Spade (now previously MiB) who the picks 41-50 are as he will already have them in a spreadsheet/database/whatever? 

Therefore 1 to 2 hours would become 5 minutes.

It would be, but I was always too shy to ask. :blush:

• Like 2

:D I guess it would have been less of an ask if they actually took part in this pool but presumably it would just be a case of extending whatever they do to get the Drop 40 by another 10 and in the grand scheme of the colossal admin task that doing the DDP must be it would be trivial.

No harm in asking nicely, I'd assume, though probably better once the Drop 40 is up on the website and not when he's knee deep in 400 shit DDP teams, all of which have people who died in 1997.

PS Bit of history for you on this subject:

• Haha 1

My hat's off to you, that is a lot more work than I was willing to pony up if I took over hosting.  I tend to look for the easier way out sometimes.  I would probably still volunteer, but would cut it to the Drop 40, and I think JR would go Van Helsing on me again.  I hope someone picks it up, it sounds like a good contest.  I have a couple of pools in their infancy that I am nurturing anyway (ABC Deadpool and Five4Three2One DP), so best I not bite off too much at once. 

As 2017 is now over, I can announce Drol as the winner of the Inverse Dead Pool 2017!

Here is the final scoreboard

1st - Drol - 25 points

2nd - Shaun of the Dead - 44 points

3rd - Grim Up North - 45 points

=4th - Bert Trautmann - 52 points

=4th  - CaptainChorizo - 52 points

6th - gcreptile - 55 points

7th - Book - 56 points

8th - The Unknown Man - 57 points

9th - Bibliogryphon - 58 points

10th - msc - 60 points

11th - The Mad Hatter - 61 points

12th - Dr_T - 65 points

=13th - Garn2 - 66 points

=13th - YoungWillz - 66 points

15th - WednesdayAddams - 68 points

16th - Death Impends - 69 points

17th - Phantom of the Midway - 71 points

18th - Toast - 79 points

=19th - esher - 87 points

=19th - Pedro67 - 87 points

=21st - Deathray - 88 points

=21st - Joeyruss - 88 points

23rd - rockhopperpenguin - 97 points

=24th  - CharonsCrew - 99 points

=24th - GraveDanger - 99  points

26th  - Switch - 106 points

27th - Dead Cow - 118 points

28th - Angels - 134 points

Congratulations @drol, an excellent performance in a year brimming with hits. I say this every year, but this was certainly the best Inverse Dead Pool yet, and it's been a pleasure to host this wonderful dead pool for another year. Unfortunately, it will also be my last year as host, and as such we'll need a new host to carry this dead pool forward in the upcoming year(s). So I'm passing the baton on to @Death Impends, who I'm sure will make a superb host and continue to keep this game alive.

Thanks to everyone who competed, I hope you'll all join in again for 2018. Happy New Year and good night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for all your efforts The Dead Cow. I love this game. Top half finish both years I have participated.

Good luck with taking this on DI.

Congrats to drol, a -25 is impressive considering what a carnage year it was, and thanks to Cow for his job as host and letting me take up the mantle. :)

Well done Drol, it was pretty tricky this year.

Well done Drol!

Congratulations drol. One of the most impressive results last year.

Well done Drol.

Thanks for all your effort Mr Cow, Hooves up an recoup chap.

Well done Drol! 

When will the options/competition open up?