Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2018 Deathlist?

7 minutes ago, Weebl said:

Since when was he in a wheelchair?

Last few months.

• Like 1

Ronnie Wood may not be a bad punt especially if his lung cancer went into remission since lung cancer recurrences are common and he won’t do chemo for it if it comes back...

14 hours ago, Weebl said:

Who should be on the list? Well, people who are still alive who were good picks who have been missed in previous years!

But, we need to start including big names with no particular health problems who were born around 1930 - that means your Sean Connerys and Clint Eastwoods need to start making an appearance on the list around now as they are old enough and it would be bad to miss them.

1930 is an interesting year for potential DL picks.You have:

Sean Connery

Clint Eastwood 

Gene Hackman 

Joanne Woodward

Buzz Aldrin

Michael Collins

Douglas Hurd

Tippi Hedren

Gene Rowlands

Robert Wagner

Rolf Harris

Clive Refill

Shirley Williams

Sandra Day O'Connor

Jean Luc Goddard

Thomas Sowell

George Soros

Bill Treacher

Paula Tilbrook

Eileen Derbyshire

John Aston

Jim Nabors

Warren Buffett

Liz Fraser

Andre Previn (1930 or 1929)

Wendy Beckett

Don Shula

Edward Kelsey

Katherine Jackson

Peter Tapsell

• Like 1

Also Bernie Ecclestone and George Fernandes

.I would say Devin Lima and Greg Gilbert meet DL criteria on the basis that they were famous before their illness and if they kept their diagnosis  secret or had died from a heart attack or car crash they would have orbited in the UK press.I read the DL rules as meaning no picks that are famous  or notable merely by virtue of their age or health.For example Richard Overton is only notable on account of his age  and Sophie Sabbage Kris Hallenga Noel Conway Would be unknown to the general population if they hadn't fallen ill .Yes Hallenga and Sabbage are writers and Conway is an activist but it is only because of their illness.Simon Ricketts and Rayya Elias I would say are not deathlisty as Ricketts although a national journalist has only gained attention after his cancer was made public.Elias  is a writer but I think her writing is too niche for  the  DL.LFO and the Delays however were popular and successful before either men fell ill so I would say that merits them on the list.I would also say Stefan Karl Patrick Cryne Catherine Nevin Dean Francis Marieke Vervoot and DJ Casper fit the criteria of would get an obit had they died in a car crash or heart attack.Just my interpretation.

In the case of Gilbert, I would exclude him in the grounds that his band never made the top 10 singles.

8 hours ago, ebless said:

In the case of Gilbert, I would exclude him in the grounds that his band never made the top 10 singles.

By this argument, you would block members of, say, Cypress Hill or the Super Furry Animals. Or Beck. Or someone not from the 90s.

• Like 3

I think as long as someone had a significant impact in their career, I think they should be aloud on the list. Having said that, I still would exclude Greg Gilbert from the list because I just see him as a vocalist for another indie band and not someone who made a significant impact in a worldwide view...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think as long as someone had a significant impact in their career, I think they should be aloud on the list. Having said that, I still would exclude Greg Gilbert from the list because I just see him as a vocalist for another indie band and not someone who made a significant impact in a worldwide view...

Allowed not aloud I assume! 

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Allowed not aloud I assume! 

I knew something was wrong with that spelling when I typed it, but I couldn’t figure out what it was. :blush:

• Haha 1

Immunologist William Frankland is 106 in March and looked as though he had recently cut his head at this evening's rememberence service.Still looks good otherwise though but 106 is a hell of an age for a man.He popularised the use of the pollen count and was an assistant to Alexander Fleming so I would say is notable enough for DL.

• Thanks 4

13 hours ago, Sean said:

1930 is an interesting year for potential DL picks.You have:

Sean Connery

Clint Eastwood 

Gene Hackman 

Joanne Woodward

Buzz Aldrin

Michael Collins

Douglas Hurd

Tippi Hedren

Gene Rowlands

Robert Wagner

Rolf Harris

Clive Refill

Shirley Williams

Sandra Day O'Connor

Jean Luc Goddard

Thomas Sowell

George Soros

Bill Treacher

Paula Tilbrook

Eileen Derbyshire

John Aston

Jim Nabors

Warren Buffett

Liz Fraser

Andre Previn (1930 or 1929)

Wendy Beckett

Don Shula

Edward Kelsey

Katherine Jackson

Peter Tapsell

It's Godard with one d, and Jean-Luc is one word, and it's Gena not Gene Rowlands.

Also, we can mention these names as well:

Ross Perot

Stephen Sondheim

I think Godard is a must next year.

He is still smoking cigs at 87, using a cane and his voice is shot. Yeah I know he is still in full Godard mode and still working but so was De Oliveira shortly before he died.

Easily the greatest living movie director (some would say Scorsese, but fuck those idiots) so he would be an embarassing and terrible miss.

The picture is from 4 years ago.

img-godard-contre-le-foot-en-direct-1443022448_x600_articles-184041.jpg

10 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

He is also a very talented artist.  Have you seen his drawings?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ebless said:

Andy Partridge of XTC never had a top-ten hit? Are you really arguing him not a deathlist pick?

Not that he's ill or anything but trying to make the point, sure there's better examples. 

On 11/11/2017 at 08:22, ebless said:

Would you exclude John Cale, who was a member of the Velvet Underground in their first two legendary albums as well as had a solo career and produced some of the greatest albums of all time, and was knighted as well as being inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame? If that’s not significant enough for a spot on the deathlist, I don’t know what is...

• Like 1

William Frankland last night (Pictured right) 

23456329_1723291787682967_3858365002385930768_o.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

William Frankland last night (Pictured right) 

23456329_1723291787682967_3858365002385930768_o.jpg

Looks like he's actually starting to age.  :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Would you exclude John Cale, who was a member of the Velvet Underground in their first two legendary albums as well as had a solo career and produced some of the greatest albums of all time, and was knighted as well as being inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame? If that’s not significant enough for a spot on the deathlist, I don’t know what is...

I think I've missed something re excluding Gilbert. I agree with you that he's just another indie front man.

22 minutes ago, ebless said:

I think I've missed something re excluding Gilbert. I agree with you that he's just another indie front man.

No, he isn't.

http://greggilbert.co.uk

Maybe wait for evidence she's not Nevin'ing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ebless said:

Fuck off. 

Stay ignorant then , I don't give a shiny shite.

Ok, he’s also a drawer as well, which technically makes him more than a lead singer for an indie band, but he really isn’t that well known still, is he? I mean, he doesn’t even have his own Wikipedia page...