Joey Russ

So How's Your 2018 Shortlist Looking?

On 12/20/2017 at 20:24, Joey Russ said:

When you have that person who you wish were younger than they are cause they're such an interesting person...

A day or two ago I realised one of the names on my shortlist was actually 30 years older than I'd thought! Which I'm sure is flattering, though worth less points... (I was mixing them up with someone else, I don't just randomly guess at ages...)

I am fairly content with current shortlist, but I need to find my Alan Aspins and Anna Holmlunds of 2018 to replace the good picks with at the last minute.  You know, the msc way.

Yeah, I'm more content with my shortlist than I was previously. I still have only truly locked ten spots, but some of the same names keep showing to be on the A-Team, and I think I know another 4 that I'm probably going to lock when I get the chance. My main goal this next year is to have a team in the top ten next year (I mean, I definitely aim to win, but I assume the likes of gcreptile, Death Impends, and DevonDeathTrip will have a better team than me). I think I might do away with one FFBI as well, which honestly makes me feel better that I don't plan my potential victory mainly on the back of nobodies...

Still Life 2018 is looking just about ready as well. A nice mixture of Drop 40 favourites, likely cult picks and a couple of FFBI names.

Aiming for an improvement on this year's performance, but a top 20 finish will suit me just fine.

As for Destination Eschaton, my philosophical theme team, It'll likely return next year as well, though I'll not be putting any thought into it.

Well I’m jealous of all y’all and frankly don’t know how you do it.  Time is a cruel enemy this year and is the hare to my DP tortoise.  Alas, I will cobble something together for DDP but no plans on a top 100 finish, unless I happen on a name or two—but with  Drop 40 names being Worth same as unique hits, finding good names seems a waste.  Bah

SC

1. Nick Boles
  2. Leah Bracknell
  3. Colin Butts 
  4. Patrick Cryne
  5. Rayya Elias 
  6. Andrew Fairlie
  7. Alberto Fujimori
  8. Greg Gilbert
  9. Steve Gleason 
  10. Scott Hamilton
  11. Emma Houlston
  12. Clive James 
  13. Herbert Kretzmer 
  14. Katherine Macgregor 
  15. Catherine Nevin
  16. Seiji Ozawa
  17. Simon Ricketts
  18. Valery Spiridinov 
  19. Stefan Karl Stefansson 
  20. John Swinton of Kimmerghame 

Hold, that's Diana Rots shortlist, not mine...

20 hours ago, The Dead Cow said:

Aiming for an improvement on this year's performance

That would win it! You made it look like you're in 180th place!

I clicked on what appeared to be an article about someone with stage 4 cancer, but instead of finding out who that "person" was, it lead me to something that alarmed me as potentially a computer virus, which I didn't click on the pop up thankfully. Fun times...

Just like last year Pete Frates and Stefan Karl Stefansson have me pondering,offense or defense.

4 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Just like last year Pete Frates and Stefan Karl Stefansson have me pondering,offense or defense.

Can't help but be reminded of this:

2013 -  Coase, Clerides

2014 – Martinus, Jardine

2015 – G Cole, Woodhead

2016 -  Asa Briggs, Aherne

2017 – Farnham

It has become somewhat of a tradition for me for names dropped from my main Pan Breed team to die the next year. In the spirit of Christmas, this forum Scrooge announces that Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi, Colin Butts and Anna Holmlund will 100% be getting the axe from Pan Breed 2018, and so by history and sods law, at least one of them is now condemned to missing Christmas 2018.

Having a few people show up in the last week is going to make a hard decision on whether to pick them or not...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Having a few people show up in the last week is going to make a hard decision on whether to pick them or not...

Remember, relatives still need to get a QO...

• Haha 1

Brother Bru Bru continued the above tradition of msc's for me as well. I mean, it had to be him, the crazy inventor and the movie character weren't going anywhere...

Uncharacteristically for me, despite only having eight "locked" names officially, I think I have a pretty good idea of what my final team will be. Cue a sudden change of heart on December 30... Oh, and the B Team shortlist still needs some winnowing down.

I was unsure of my team but now I've found a criminal, a sports man and a FFBI type, all of whom wont obit, I feel more reassured of usual mediocrity.

Started working on my list this morning.

First step is to see which ones I want to recycle from previous years (Brimley is of course a must!). Step two is to write down the mainsteam names, those whose level of fame is high and illnesses are well-reported. Step three is my always so futile attempt at finding unique picks that actually die and are accompanied by acceptable obits the following year.

Never had a unique hit before, bar a theme team years ago, so the quest goes on. So far, I've found 16 names that have never been mentioned on this site before.

All my teams for everything have been submitted, bar the Scavenger Hunt thing which looks like it's been delayed somewhat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

All my teams for everything have been submitted, bar the Scavenger Hunt thing which looks like it's been delayed somewhat.

My Hares team will be in as soon as I decide which of the 40 on the shortlist I aim to send!

Buridans Ass, deadpool style.

2 minutes ago, msc said:

My Hares team will be in as soon as I decide which of the 40 on the shortlist I aim to send!

Buridans Ass, deadpool style.

To which my stock answer is..

Nice ass.

• Haha 1

I think I'm done with doing any significant research now, and I'm shifting gears to now dwindling down my teams that I'm working on. I will still check daily for any new cases that show up in the last week (mainly for deathrace), but I'm done with trying to chase down any cult picks I might've missed from months earlier...

Entered alt obits team now (though I think one or two of them might get rejected so I need to try again with the list). I only have a few teams now that I have yet to enter: Shaun's Death By Numbers, Deathrace, and the DDP, all of which I am intentionally waiting to enter on a later date...

EDIT: 6 names I have to replace, and I didn't expect a couple of those names that I sent to need to be replaced...

Oh I have to replace a few names too, and most of them American too. Now I know how Sir Creep feels re British fame levels! :D

I decided to put one of my planned deathrace fodder to the test to see if they could pass through with the other 5 picks (which I knew the rest would pass through). Turned out they accepted them. Lol...

Hares - in.

Hartlepool - in

Alt Obits - in

DbN - in RadGuy's inbox.

Deathrace - in MPFC's inbox.

Just the DDP teams to sort out now.

On 2017-12-25 at 10:03, Predictor said:

Started working on my list this morning.

First step is to see which ones I want to recycle from previous years (Brimley is of course a must!). Step two is to write down the mainsteam names, those whose level of fame is high and illnesses are well-reported. Step three is my always so futile attempt at finding unique picks that actually die and are accompanied by acceptable obits the following year.

Never had a unique hit before, bar a theme team years ago, so the quest goes on. So far, I've found 16 names that have never been mentioned on this site before.

I have sent my team now, after three days of research. :) I had to create a one-purpose-only mail account from an obscure email provider (protonmail) but hopefully it doesn't go to the recipent's spam folder.

I think realistically, I might have 7-8 unique picks altogether. They have various risk factors such as old age, AML, muscle disease, dementia, prostate cancer & lymphoma. And what about their obitability? Well, the vast majority of them have never been mentioned on this site , so that could potentially be an issue. But still, I think you could make a case for 5-6 of them, with a little bit of luck on your side...