Joey Russ

So How's Your 2018 Shortlist Looking?

I thought I had my DDP joker sorted out for next year. Indeed, I had the same person thought out for many months, but now I'm having a what if scenario with another person. It's not the same dilemma as Ben Suisala last year thankfully, but I still fear I might make the wrong joker choice next year...

Ok, I will not be going defense... This will be interesting.

6 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Ok, I will not be going defense... This will be interesting.

So, are you going for a lot of obit punts next year? 

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

So, are you going for a lot of obit punts next year? 

Not really, well about 2-3 are gambles, but also some of those still-doing-ok picks, à la Daisy Berkowitz. I actually think we have fewer locks than last year now.

Have about half of both my main and B team locked. But only have to trim a couple more names off each shortlist. Deathrace is 14 locks, Death By Numbers about 95% complete, everything else is already in or at least finished.

Heh, I was looking over my shortlist earlier and spent it thinking "that name will be on TJS 2018" or "That one is such a Gcreptile pick" and so on. Try to predict the other teams. DDT is the trickiest, he always comes up with good out there picks (out there as in off radar and successful).

Technically every shot at putting a main team together has the same 14 names, so I guess that's 14 locks and 6 spaces left. Locks in the "I'll be picking them", not in the "100% going to die", of course.

But msc, everyone has a 100% chance of dying at some point. It just may not be in 2018. :P 

12 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

But msc, everyone has a 100% chance of dying at some point. It just may not be in 2018. :P 

Yes, very droll, you!

2 hours ago, msc said:

Heh, I was looking over my shortlist earlier and spent it thinking "that name will be on TJS 2018" or "That one is such a Gcreptile pick" and so on. Try to predict the other teams. DDT is the trickiest, he always comes up with good out there picks (out there as in off radar and successful).

Technically every shot at putting a main team together has the same 14 names, so I guess that's 14 locks and 6 spaces left. Locks in the "I'll be picking them", not in the "100% going to die", of course.

Twice in a row, with Langhorne and Nevin, the pick of mine that gave me the most "man, that's a very DDT pick" feeling wasn't picked by him. And then both of them saw the year out anyway. :P

I bet he didn't pick Nevin because of his failure with Gary Haggarty...a process I did not repeat.

I would really like to know what a "me-pick" is. In my opinion, a "typical" msc pick would be the second person you mentioned in your pm.

Though I guess "typical" means the kind of gamble that person is willing to take.

TBH Wayne Barrett was easily my most "me" pick ever, given his obitability became a guarantee thanks to his subject of expertise becoming US president.

While I don’t have anyone that is truly a “me” pick this year, next year there will be at least one “me” pick next year. One of the things I realize while slowly making my DDP team for next year that in order to truly make a “great team”, not only do you have to put some younger folk in there, but you also need to put some folk in there that you can truly relate to. So even in the off chance that I do much worse next year, I will still like my team much better than last time cause there’s something in there that I can truly relate to me...

12 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I bet he didn't pick Nevin because of his failure with Gary Haggarty...a process I did not repeat.

I would really like to know what a "me-pick" is. In my opinion, a "typical" msc pick would be the second person you mentioned in your pm.

Though I guess "typical" means the kind of gamble that person is willing to take.

A Gcreptile pick: under the radar somewhat, relatively well known (perhaps even a European angle but not neccessary), possibly 50/50 but with enough knowledge to make an educated guess. See Pierre Boulez, Gary DeCarlo, Paul Cox for examples.

I don't explain it very well, it's like someone being Deathlisty.

I'm not sure what a "msc-pick" would be. Someone old who lives? :D

5 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

TBH Wayne Barrett was easily my most "me" pick ever, given his obitability became a guarantee thanks to his subject of expertise becoming US president.

My thoughts exactly. Charles Bradley was another.

• Like 2

The last few days have complicated things, 3 obitable people popped up who just went in coma's who are either gonna be the next Bobbi Cristina Brown or the next Michael Schumacher. Team to beat if you gamble right or your team is dead in Jan if you gamble wrong.

This Woody Harrelson terminal cancer thing is really mucking up a lot of my last minute search terms.

I think I got my jokers for both teams now. Both of them are not FFBI fortunately, so very unlikely for a Ben Suisala repeat. The B Team joker is my main they’ll see 2019 punt for next year. Let’s see how well that pays off...

I think... I think I know my lineup for both teams now. I'm still going to wait until tomorrow to send in the final list in case I suddenly make a last minute change, but I think I got the teams ready, and definitely will be satisfied with whatever place I get in the DDP next year. I'm probably not going to win, but I think a top ten performance is very plausible next year...

tenor.gif?itemid=3547092

• Like 1

Bobby Zarin's Mack the Knifed is more or less finalized but I'll submit tomorrow after I decide fully on TJS. Very quantity over quality. Bunch of people too old for the main, a few Drop 40 certs, a pick whose novelty I couldn't resist, and a couple obit risks.

Have a backup Mack in case Ted dies before the start line. Funnily enough, they too are a "Guardian, above all else, guarantees them an obit" name.

I’ll admit, there is one person I put on my B Team this year solely for the fact of trying to save someone potentially from the list of the lost. I have a couple of risky obits and drop 40 certs in there as well. I’m interested in seeing how well it does...

EDIT: Also got my main they reek of fraud in there as well...

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I’ll admit, there is one person I put on my B Team this year solely for the fact of trying to save someone potentially from the list of the lost. I have a couple of risky obits and drop 40 certs in there as well. I’m interested in seeing how well it does...

EDIT: Also got my main they reek of fraud in there as well...

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

I think... I think I know my lineup for both teams now. I'm still going to wait until tomorrow to send in the final list in case I suddenly make a last minute change, but I think I got the teams ready, and definitely will be satisfied with whatever place I get in the DDP next year. I'm probably not going to win, but I think a top ten performance is very plausible next year...

On 29/12/2017 at 23:27, Joey Russ said:

While I don’t have anyone that is truly a “me” pick this year, next year there will be at least one “me” pick next year. One of the things I realize while slowly making my DDP team for next year that in order to truly make a “great team”, not only do you have to put some younger folk in there, but you also need to put some folk in there that you can truly relate to. So even in the off chance that I do much worse next year, I will still like my team much better than last time cause there’s something in there that I can truly relate to me...

On 28/12/2017 at 17:16, Joey Russ said:

I thought I had my DDP joker sorted out for next year. Indeed, I had the same person thought out for many months, but now I'm having a what if scenario with another person. It's not the same dilemma as Ben Suisala last year thankfully, but I still fear I might make the wrong joker choice next year...

On 21/12/2017 at 21:20, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, I'm more content with my shortlist than I was previously. I still have only truly locked ten spots, but some of the same names keep showing to be on the A-Team, and I think I know another 4 that I'm probably going to lock when I get the chance. My main goal this next year is to have a team in the top ten next year (I mean, I definitely aim to win, but I assume the likes of gcreptile, Death Impends, and DevonDeathTrip will have a better team than me). I think I might do away with one FFBI as well, which honestly makes me feel better that I don't plan my potential victory mainly on the back of nobodies...

On 23/12/2017 at 00:24, Joey Russ said:

I clicked on what appeared to be an article about someone with stage 4 cancer, but instead of finding out who that "person" was, it lead me to something that alarmed me as potentially a computer virus, which I didn't click on the pop up thankfully. Fun times...

On 24/12/2017 at 18:31, Joey Russ said:

Having a few people show up in the last week is going to make a hard decision on whether to pick them or not...

On 26/12/2017 at 20:36, Joey Russ said:

I think I'm done with doing any significant research now, and I'm shifting gears to now dwindling down my teams that I'm working on. I will still check daily for any new cases that show up in the last week (mainly for deathrace), but I'm done with trying to chase down any cult picks I might've missed from months earlier...

On 27/12/2017 at 03:14, Joey Russ said:

Entered alt obits team now (though I think one or two of them might get rejected so I need to try again with the list). I only have a few teams now that I have yet to enter: Shaun's Death By Numbers, Deathrace, and the DDP, all of which I am intentionally waiting to enter on a later date...

EDIT: 6 names I have to replace, and I didn't expect a couple of those names that I sent to need to be replaced...

On 27/12/2017 at 15:27, Joey Russ said:

I decided to put one of my planned deathrace fodder to the test to see if they could pass through with the other 5 picks (which I knew the rest would pass through). Turned out they accepted them. Lol...

Good.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

For the record I am about to compile my team, it being 7:37am CST,  Not sure cutoff but I figure I have 10 hours.

SC

14 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

For the record I am about to compile my team, it being 7:37am CST,  Not sure cutoff but I figure I have 10 hours.

SC

You have 10 hours and 8 minutes from now.

(And remember to email it!)

• Thanks 1

LOL thanks.....yeah, lesson learned.  Have had no time to dig up a couple new names for Gris Gris team, and I know I lost Zsa Zsa at the very least.  Ugh.