Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

10 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

It's only been one week since he died. I could easily see him get a Telegraph obit or Guardian mention in the coming weeks (and even if he doesn't get one this month, there's still 6 months left, so still a lot of time to get a mention in the following months). 

Although I wouldn't be upset if he doesn't obit, mind you. But I suspect that he'll receive something in the end...

This is hilarious since you were adamant after a mere two days that Jon Hiseman wouldn't get a QO.

6 hours ago, Toast said:

This is hilarious since you were adamant after a mere two days that Jon Hiseman wouldn't get a QO.

Tbf, it was because many other jazz fusion names didn’t get a QO that I thought Jon Hiseman wouldn’t receive one...

Can I note that we’re only in the first week of July as of now, and yet, the DDP hit total is already at 150? I suspect that this year we’ll break the overall hit total in a year even though the competition for the title is one that is slowly moving...

Update as I watch GLOW season 2. Put the strap on Welfare Queen brother, she's ready.

• Like 4

Round Up #15 (Lord Carrington Memorial Special)

Peter Carrington: Times Obit: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lord-carrington-obituary-drxtphbz7

Lindy Remigino: Awaiting Obit.

Clive King: BBC Obit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44823636

Laura Barry: Sky Sports Obit: http://www.skysports.com/racing/news/12426/11435971/review-of-the-action-from-newmarket-on-friday

Henry Morgenthau III: Awaiting Obit.

Mien Schopman-Klaver: Awaiting Obit.

Paul Madeley: BBC Obit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44932721

Chiyo Miyako: Mirror Obit: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-worlds-oldest-person-chiyo-12500603

Bruce Lietzke: UK Reuters Obit: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-golf-lietzke/lietzke-13-times-pga-tour-winner-dies-aged-67-idUKKBN1KI0L7

Oliver Dragojevic: Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-6003983/Popular-ex-Yugoslavia-singer-Oliver-Dragojevic-dies-70.html

Bernard Hepton: Guardian Obit: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jul/30/bernard-hepton-obituary

Michael Lapage: Awaiting Obit.

• Like 2

It will be a real kick in the Butts if Colin doesn't get a QO.

Assuming Remigino gets his obit, are we going to see another DDT assault onto the title? He may have a lot of people with lower point values but they all have a good chance of dying. His score was quite high when I did the group analysis over a month ago...

Butts isn't getting an obit. Get over it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Butts isn't getting an obit. Get over it.

I'm still 80/20 on it. How long did Jock Scot's obit take, he's kind of a similar figure in a way. 

9 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I'm still 80/20 on it. How long did Jock Scot's obit take, he's kind of a similar figure in a way. 

Telegraph had it up within 24-48 hours.

I still think Butts will get something, somewhere. He's the prototype "chap Guardian writers will remember".

2 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I can't speak to Jock Scot, ..... but Butts presently has a single obit across the entire globe, and that from the Isle of Ibiza.   After two weeks.
How does that translate to an eventual QO?  He was barely anyone of note anyway, quite honestly.   But for him having the luxury of being born British, his chances would be nil.   And that luxury I'll say is worth 3% at this point.   I only say that to cover me arse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

TJS up into third if/when the Laura Barry obit comes through.

Edit: it was when, your super soaraway comes through in less than an hour: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/horseracing/6771401/promising-young-jockey-laura-barry-sadly-passes-away-after-struggle-with-cancer/

Kudos on the gamble Death Impends. I think I wrote you off too early after the news of Youngs remission...

As for Butts, my gut feeling is still that he’ll get something, but reading the articles that announced his cancer diagnosis does give me some Ben Suisala de ja vu. I mean, the fact that the headlines referred to him as a terminally ill man rather than an author gives me some doubt...

I wonder how many hits the winner will have. If I take Joey's team, and substract those who I think won't die this year, John Cocks, Stuart Fraser, Greg Gilbert, Clive James, Linda Nolan, and well, let's assume this, Marieke Vervoort, I get 14 hits.

Let's take Bucket of Blood, and substract Ami Brown, Linda Nolan, Marieke Vervoort, and well, then it gets interesting. 17 hits. Then there are quite a few question marks: what's going on with José José? When will Ricksen's body break down (Joost Van Der Westhuizen still tweeted rather confidently until the very end). Complete silence from Devin Lima... And Charlotte Rae, who he shares with Death Impends, and whose survival is against the odds...

Let's take Death Impends, and substract Cynthia Heimel, Greg Gilbert, Tiffany Youngs, Ian Toothill, Marieke Vervoort - that's 15. I'd also put Johnny Clegg in there (who still has a concert im September, but let's wait and see: http://hiddenculture.paynow.co.zw/event-registration/?ee=25). I think he'll end up with 13-14 hits. Same as Joey. Bucket of Blood doesn't have a single unique hit, so no bonus points, yet he might end up with the most hits. Rae and DIlip Kumar however are not the biggest scorers...

Anyone still aspiring to win, would have to surpass the 14 hits in my opinion.

Gcreptile post does show similar thoughts on how I view my own team. Cocksy is still doing immunotherapy, Fraser (like Lima) has a silence that I find ominous but maybe not deadly, Gilbert has a wedding and treatment is still going well, Clive James is still doing okay as seen in the recent article on the NHS, Nolan is too early in her battle, and Vervoort  seems more happy. I also don’t think Ricksen is going to die this year either. So yes, I feel like I’m out of the running this year but I feel that I did make an improvement from last year...

I still don't think I can overcome the Toothill/Heimel no-QO gap, but this year's still looking much better for me than it seemed two months ago! Didn't actually consider Barry for the DDP until mid-December, as one of those "scribble down when you see a report on them, forget about them completely, then finally do the research when the deadline closes in" types. And I felt after that research that A. her cancer spreading to several organs, per a GoFundMe update, meant a likely death and B. if SkySports was willing to report on her battle - as I see them as more reliable to do followup than tabloids - then she had a fair obit chance. Ended up right on both counts.

RIP to her, though. No age to go at.

Brand new to this site, and loving it!  I'm planning ahead for 2019.  Would love to join a Dead Pool for next year.  Do I create my own list of 50 and simply post it here?  And am I responsible for keeping it updated as my participants die off?

• Like 1

You make a list of 20 people you think will die before the end of the year, and you can send by the email that is made to accept DDP entries. You don’t have to keep track of it either, as someone like YoungWilz will always notice when they have died and obited. Hope this answers your questions, and welcome to the site. :) 

• Thanks 1

Welcome, Mischief Girl! The DDP is as Joey described it, but there are other dead pools you can enter before January, like the Advent Avalanche. Other pools like 30/30 or the Elizabethan Deadpool are accepting entries at any time (I'm relatively new and only learned this the other day).

Do we need an explainer somewhere for n00bs? Explaining the difference between the Deathlist and the DDP, and whatever else?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Do we need an explainer somewhere for n00bs? Explaining the difference between the Deathlist and the DDP, and whatever else?

I think there’s a thread for that already: 

• Thanks 1

There are too many pinned topics in Extra-Curricular and most of them don't deserve to be at the top. Death List Convention is only used for planning about once a year, and the people who are committed enough to attend are capable of finding the thread themselves. If more relevant topics were pinned then newbies would find them more easily.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

There are too many pinned topics in Extra-Curricular and most of them don't deserve to be at the top. Death List Convention is only used for planning about once a year, and the people who are committed enough to attend are capable of finding the thread themselves. If more relevant topics were pinned then newbies would find them more easily.

The logical place to look is in the Dead Pools Forum.

30 minutes ago, Toast said:

The logical place to look is in the Dead Pools Forum.

There's this, which I've just tried to do a quick update on. It's pinned at the top of this (Deadpools) section.