gcreptile

The Dead of 2018

1 minute ago, Damocles said:

June Whitfield has died aged 93.

*facepalm. 

1 minute ago, Paul Bearer said:

*facepalm. 

Is that how she died, I did wonder ;)

Georges Loinger, a French hero of WW2 has died at the age of 108, as reported by the BBC.  Did anyone have him on their list?  He falls into the "I've never heard of him before today" category but then again so do a lot of folk!  I'm sure there must be some painstaking Deathlister who had got him marked down somewhere....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46714673

1 minute ago, Squonk said:

Georges Loinger, a French hero of WW2 has died at the age of 108, as reported by the BBC.  Did anyone have him on their list?  He falls into the "I've never heard of him before today" category but then again so do a lot of folk!  I'm sure there must be some painstaking Deathlister who had got him marked down somewhere....

I've NEVER heard of him and given all he did during his lifetime, it is a shame. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Squonk said:

2 hours ago, ImissMontpellier said:

I've NEVER heard of him and given all he did during his lifetime, it is a shame. 

Indeed....but then it seems a bit like the honours system.  Go and work in the civil service for thirty years and you'll probably get a gong of some description.  Work as a doctor or nurse for 30 years in the NHS saving lives (and having the fun of dodging punches from the drunks in A&E on a Friday night) and you'll be likely to get diddly squat.  

And sadly I can't help but wonder if poor old Georges would have got an obit at all, were it not for the fact he'd managed to reach the ripe old age of 108.

Is the magnificent seven part of the completely dead movie list? I thought it might be but there were apparently three people who appeared as children who is said to be living on IMDB...

Is this me or we’ve lost a lot of « big DDP names » in the last 2 weeks ? Richard Overton, Sono Osato, Georges Loinger, June Whitfield, Simon Ricketts, and now Don Lusk ? Maybe a good time to see Herman Wouk or Bracknell pass out then ?!  

Dodgy bribe taking cunto Charles Mukora dead at 83.

Resigned from the IOC after the Salt Lake Winter bid.

https://www.nation.co.ke/sports/athletics/Meteoric-rise-and-dramatic-fall-of-Charles-Mukora/1100-4913640-mlgsyuz/index.html

4 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Is this me or we’ve lost a lot of « big DDP names » in the last 2 weeks ? Richard Overton, Sono Osato, Georges Loinger, June Whitfield, Simon Ricketts, and now Don Lusk ? Maybe a good time to see Herman Wouk or Bracknell pass out then ?!  

Herman Wouks death today would certainly be welcome- it would at least  mean that this wasn't the first year since 2010 without a hit in the top 5  ! It would also mean it wasn't the first year with as many as 4 out of 4  centenarians surviving the  year I think ! 

I've been following this Facebook fan group for Ray "Eye Patch" Sawyer of Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show, who's been in intensive care over Christmas, willing him to hang on long enough to star as the joker in my 2019 DDP #1 Hits theme team. He's died one day short of the starting line.

Condolences to his friends, family, and me.

• Sad 1

Just now, machotrouts said:

I've been following this Facebook fan group for Ray "Eye Patch" Sawyer of Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show, who's been in intensive care over Christmas, willing him to hang on long enough to star as the joker in my 2019 DDP #1 Hits theme team. He's died one day short of the starting line.

Condolences to his friends, family, and me.

Well, blow me down. My Personal Shadowlist just clicked up to 10 hits.

A survivor from my first TOTP theme team I kept about, due to his excessive drinking and falling about.

On my radar as well, a Deathrace pick now needing substitution and a lock for the DBN - good thing I decided against DDP picking him though (I thought he'd be unique if I picked him - but macho knew as well)!

Not sure which thread to put it but similar cases have been mentioned on here.

Well, I was intrigued by picking her and then wait for another whole year, like with Shalom Ouanounou - but no, I didn't go there.

Painful, if Ouanounou receives an indirect QO through her next year...

• Like 3

Gerald Cotten.  A little late, but one more reason why I am baffled by cryptocurrencies.   This fellow died suddenly at 30 of complications from Chrohn's in December 2018. What is significant is that his death effectively sealed forever $250M in crypto accounts, because only he had the password.  Account holders told to fuck off.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/bitcoin-dealer-seeks-credit-protection-dead-owner-had-sole-access-to-250m-1.23621105

• Haha 1

Flower Drum Song author CY Lee died in November aged 102.

Rather unsporting behaviour by the family to withhold the information until today.

Bound to be a pisser for a few folk.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/c-y-lee-flower-drum-song-author-dead-at-102/

1 hour ago, charon said:

Flower Drum Song author CY Lee died in November aged 102.

Rather unsporting behaviour by the family to withhold the information until today.

Bound to be a pisser for a few folk.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/c-y-lee-flower-drum-song-author-dead-at-102/

Actually his death was announced in November. Only Chinese obits though, American are just slow. But his family did not withhold it.