Grim Reaper

Fidel Castro

With the headline news on Rotten.com that Castro is "fighting for life" I've just popped in here to see what else is being said and notice that Iain is being Iain again!

All well and good, but lets really have your "inside information" source so we can judge if you are even barking up the right tree to be putting as accurate time line predictions together down to the last 48 hours. Sharon is still hanging on since January, so I'm not sure you can really come up with a figure like this in the first place without possibly looking very silly again within the space of the next few days.

They had the similar headline on the NY Times site, but that was a quote from Hugo Chavev. However no other news site is carrying that story.

Chavez Says Castro Fighting for Life

Even though Chavez claims that Castro is nearing death's door. If you read closer

but he also expressed optimism about the 79-year-old Cuban leader's recovery.

I'm sure there will be some sort of update on Castro's condition this Sunday to either quash any rumours that are still floating around saying that Castro is already dead.

I would not say this if i was not virtually certain of it.

I'm virtually certain that you're the DL village idiot, iain. It's virtually impossible that anyone else feels differently. If you ever get a prediction correct to within 48 hours, I'll leave, you piss-ant.

p.s. I've got my fingers crossed, just like you did.

I'm virtually certain that you're the DL village idiot, iain. It's virtually impossible that anyone else feels differently. If you ever get a prediction correct to within 48 hours, I'll leave, you piss-ant.

Careful. He did get Stanley Kunitz right. If you unload a machine gun into a barrel, you're bound to hit a fish every now and then.

Especially if you're an expert in "medicun" :angry:

Careful. He did get Stanley Kunitz right. If you unload a machine gun into a barrel, you're bound to hit a fish every now and then.

Especially if you're an expert in "medicun" :angry:

Fair play. I'll get a slice of humble pie out the fridge. iain'll always be a kunitz in my book, though.

Back on topic, I'm rather a fan of Fidel's. Having enjoyed puffing the odd Cuban in my time (insert joke here), I'm glad to have contributed to the economy of his beautiful, if somewhat overrun with feelthy Americanos, country.

Guest iain

something tells me that Castro is not meant to reach his 80th birthday but anyway hes greavely ill and will clearly die soon whether he gets to 80 or not.And by the way I still expect Michael Foot to die at any time as well

something tells me that Castro is not meant to reach his 80th birthday but anyway hes greavely ill and will clearly die soon whether he gets to 80 or not.And by the way I still expect Michael Foot to die at any time as well

Iain,

do you have anything to back up your claims?

greavely ill
? isn't that a condition that Ian St John suffered from?

Oh isn't this sweet...an Iaina for the next generation.

Back on topic, I'm rather a fan of Fidel's. Having enjoyed puffing the odd Cuban in my time (insert joke here)
Could you describe this odd Cuban you were puffing on and did he enjoy it?

And if not you could always use the claim that Mike Douglas died and so there was indeed a Michael with a Foot in the grave :angry:

What was that? You've recently re-painted your house?

I think I'll go watch it dry....

MSNBC earlier today were reporting that Castro has been sitting up, occasionally walking around, eating and also working. Obviously not all at the same time, but it seems like he's on the mend.

Here's the report on CNN

Guest iain
MSNBC earlier today were reporting that Castro has been sitting up, occasionally walking around, eating and also working. Obviously not all at the same time, but it seems like he's on the mend.

you dont sreriously believe that BS prpoganda do you?Until I see or hear him I will continue to assume hes close to death.In fact Im starting to think hes dead allready

you dont sreriously believe that BS prpoganda do you?Until I see or hear him I will continue to assume hes close to death.In fact Im starting to think hes dead allready

I'll believe a respectable news reporter more than I'd respect you, Iain.

Happy 80th Birthday to Fidel Castro!

Guest iain

Since I have now seen photos of him I am prepared to accept that he is still alive.However note that Castro himself warns Cubans to prepare for 'adverse news' so it seems he is still in quite a critical condition and could still suffer a relapse causing death at any time.He looks very strained and unhappy in t hose photos.

Since I have now seen photos of him I am prepared to accept that he is still alive.However note that Castro himself warns Cubans to prepare for 'adverse news' so it seems he is still in quite a critical condition and could still suffer a relapse causing death at any time.He looks very strained and unhappy in t hose photos.

cretin

Guest iain

could I ask th e moderators to discipline phantom for that personal abuse?Or am I th eonly person who is ever punished for anything?

could I ask th e moderators to discipline phantom for that personal abuse?Or am I th eonly person who is ever punished for anything?

oh lighten up Iain. It's not like I called you an asswipe or worse.

You're the only one on this site who actually wants people to die rather than just attempting to predict when people will die.

Constantly claiming that someone's death is "imminent" grows very tiresome, especially with the fantasy world that you create for yourself. Perhaps we should start calling you Billy or even Walter, from now on.

So no different than the rest of us when surrounded by loving friends & family on our birthdays!

Or were you putting on a Yorkshire accent there and in fact talking about the infamous 'Castro birthday hose trick' photos in which he does look very strained, although I thought it was mixed with a look of pleasure rather than unhappiness.

You're not the only person who gets warned, but certainly the person who gets warned most.

You see iain, I would warn Phantom for you, but Tempus may not agree and decide to warn me back - so sorry.

Castro himself warns Cubans to prepare for 'adverse news' so it seems he is still in quite a critical condition and could still suffer a relapse causing death at any time.

Iain, you have such a 'happy-go-lucky' personality...

"Incredibly-stupid-go-relatively-lucky-for-the-time-being" would be a more appropriate way of describing iain's personality.

"Incredibly-stupid-go-relatively-lucky-for-the-time-being" would be a more appropriate way of describing iain's personality.

Sometimes even the most fallen and ruined minds have potential.

An interesting article on Castro here,

it gives some insights into his long term prospects and state of mind. Not sure how reliable its sources are though.

As it's a subscription site I've copied it here as well;

The first confirmation came from Lula da Silva: Fidel Castro has cancer. Later, the Brazilian Foreign Ministry denied the president's statement, but it was accurate. The Comandante bled, the surgeons opened him up and found a cancer that had spread and was incurable. Nothing strange in an 80-year-old man, of course. The prognosis is that he will die shortly. Nobody dares to predict a date. But European diplomats in Cuba say sotto voce that he will not see New Year's Day 2007, although they then qualify their opinion: ``At that age, cancer advances slowly.''

Curiously, Castro's calculations did not include that type of death. He foresaw his disappearance as something heroic, something like a sudden heart attack or stroke that would take away his life. He never expected that he might fade away slowly in bed, in the deepening torpor induced by a merciful morphine drip, incapable of deciding whether he should -- or should not -- prolong his existence with uncertain and devastating doses of chemo or radiation therapy, measures that would surely remove the beard that has served him as a trademark for half a century.

Faced with such a desperate situation, Fidel became depressed. It happens. It is very sad to be dying and, on top of that, be visited by Hugo Chávez. Suddenly, Fidel stopped being one of the world's most powerful men and shriveled into a frail and defenseless old man, as the imprudent Venezuelan, spouting a stream of sweet nothings, held his hand, enraptured, thinking that he comforted the patient when he was really inflicting upon him a dark form of condescending humiliation. Raúl sensed this but couldn't stop it.

Nobody can avoid Chávez's treacly effusiveness. Rául knows that Fidel Castro hates all expressions of tenderness, much less any public expressions of compassion toward his exalted person. When their mother, Lina Ruz, died, Fidel gave Raúl a public tongue-lashing when the younger brother broke into tears. Those are bourgeois weaknesses.

One of Raúl's first acts was to immediately begin the funeral services. How? By orchestrating a gigantic national and international campaign of tributes. The whole world has to weep for Fidel. The diplomats and agents of influence at the service of the Cuban government received a pressing order: ``Ask for letters of support, declarations of affection, poems, sculptures and all kind of expressions of solidarity.''

Edited by Tempus Fugit