Grim Reaper

Fidel Castro

An interesting article on Castro here,

as the imprudent Venezuelan,

Does he mean Chavez was imprudent (unwise or indiscreet; not prudent) or impudent (characterized by offensive boldness; insolent or impertinent. Shameless). Methinks the latter.

We might cut him some slack because English may not be his first language (and he's American, or writing for an American paper, anyway) but I think this particular journo needs some more time with the thesaurus.

An interesting article on Castro here,

it gives some insights into his long term prospects and state of mind. Not sure how reliable its sources are though.

It is interesting.

However, the fact that its in the Miami Herald makes me think that credence might be stretched a little and/or Castro's condition exagarreted for all the cocks that make up the Miami Cubans.

Apparently, that report was in the Folha paper in Brazil on 5th August 2006, and has since been "denied".

The latest official (note pro-Cuban, of course) report is that he is very well, improving every day and walking.

So, the question, and it's not an easy one, is who to believe?

Cuba, who says, yes he's ill, yes he's frail, but dead or dying? No chance...

America (or particulary Miami-Cubans), who say he's already dead or death is immiment.

It's a bloody difficult one to call.

That Miami Herald article is listed as an opinion piece, so it's not going to pretend to be objective. Which doesn't necessarily make it completely incorrect, of course, but it's still an opinion piece rather than a news story. The thing is that regardless of how Castro finally dies - and the idea that he'd have preferred a quick death to a long slow decline due to cancer isn't exactly unusual - he can't go on much longer as a hands-on head of state at his age anyway, so I don't know why they're even considering the long term.

That Miami Herald article is listed as an opinion piece, so it's not going to pretend to be objective. Which doesn't necessarily make it completely incorrect, of course, but it's still an opinion piece rather than a news story. The thing is that regardless of how Castro finally dies - and the idea that he'd have preferred a quick death to a long slow decline due to cancer isn't exactly unusual - he can't go on much longer as a hands-on head of state at his age anyway, so I don't know why they're even considering the long term.

I'm inclined to believe that the truth lies somewhere between the official Cuban line and that news story. I can't see Castro surviving another 12 months, but if he doesn't want a slow death he could always blow his brains out or launch a one man invasion of the USA.

Guest Axiom

If I were someone who had minimal information about the ideals being disscussed here, I would have no choice but to side with the supporters of Castro. I have yet to read an intelligent argument towards capitalism. Every single post is just hateful propaganda-filled non-statements. If you wish to propagate your ideas, maybe thinking for yourselves a little would be in order. Theres no reason the organization of human society should disscussed without civility.

Chavez visits "improved" Castro

or for the Miami Cubans:

Raul names rival to cabinet.

I think the idea the Miami Herald is pushing is that Fidel must be dying as Raul has made decisions by himself. Seems to me that Raul has to do something to cover his brothers' absence, but I'll let you make up your own minds.

Don't worry MH, Stars Crossed is continuing on his campaign on calling people post whores or update whores.

I'm merely putting an update relating to the person, if I find a couple within a short space of time, I'll put them in the same post.

Not sure if this should be in the Ideas For 2007 thread, but Vilma Espín Guillois (Raul Castro's wife) is reported in this article to be a very ill lady.

As well as her status as an, er, celebrity wife, she has been in charge of The Cuban Federation of Women for the last 46 years and is an all round communist big wig. If The Guardian can give an obit to that dead sled dog champion whose name has forever escaped my memory, then surely they can do Mrs Castro justice?

(That's a hint by the way to the Guardian Obits editor who I'm sure pops by every now and then <_< )

Not sure if this should be in the Ideas For 2007 thread, but Vilma Espín Guillois (Raul Castro's wife) is reported in this article to be a very ill lady.

As well as her status as an, er, celebrity wife, she has been in charge of The Cuban Federation of Women for the last 46 years and is an all round communist big wig. If The Guardian can give an obit to that dead sled dog champion whose name has forever escaped my memory, then surely they can do Mrs Castro justice?

(That's a hint by the way to the Guardian Obits editor who I'm sure pops by every now and then <_< )

Perhaps we could stick them on as a couple.

Gerald and Betty did no use last year so next year could be Mr. and Mrs. Fidels turn.

Edit: I see I have the wrong brother...

The 'this article' link above goes to the Wikipedia which says nowt about her ill health? Mebbe edited out by someone high up in Cuban politics eh?

Also, who is the Guardian obits editor when s/he's posting? Just askin' like.

Perhaps we could stick them on as a couple.

Gerald and Betty did no use last year so next year could be Mr. and Mrs. Fidels turn.

Edit: I see I have the wrong brother...

The whereabouts of Mirta Diaz-Balart(Fidel Castro's first wife) are a mystery. Various sources on the net give her whereabouts as Madrid, Cuba or the USA, Wiki doesn't have a date of birth for her.

The 'this article' link above goes to the Wikipedia which says nowt about her ill health? Mebbe edited out by someone high up in Cuban politics eh?

Also, who is the Guardian obits editor when s/he's posting? Just askin' like.

Sorry - wrong link. Here it is

Congratulations on becoming a Twunt Master MPFC. I am in awe.

The Guardian obits editor? No idea - but I know s/he is watching us.

Earlier the discussion veered to Cuban leader's wives. However, there was one we missed, probably as we had no idea she was still alive - President Batista's widow.

Anyway, she is no more.

Earlier the discussion veered to Cuban leader's wives. However, there was one we missed, probably as we had no idea she was still alive - President Batista's widow.

Anyway, she is no more.

How does one do that:

In the early hours of the new year of 1959, Fulgencio Batista Salazar, then 58, ended a reign of a quarter-century when he fled Cuba aboard three airplanes

?

regards,

Hein

I not only believe Fidel to be dead, I believe he died last year as I predicted. It's in the regimes' interest to maintain the illusion.

Which reminds me, "Moon Over Parador" was written as a speculation on this very theorem, and was an excellent film as well.

Fidel Castro, dictator of Cuba since 1959. Tonight I have spent nearly an hour researching living dictators, and I have a few who should prove successful on the 2007 campaign...

For those of you interested, reports say that Castro is dying of cancer.

It's interesting to read, but I think it's full of sh*t like all the other times the U.S. said he was dying. His hospitalization just adds a bit of credence to the theory this time.

I think it's just wishful thinking for the US with the mid-term elections coming up. What with Bush losing popularity, Mark Foley coming out of the closet. It sure is a bad time for the Republicans.