27 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

why are people still worried about who is anti-gay and who isn't?

On the surface, this is really quite a horrific question, but let’s give you a chance; what exactly do you mean by this?

Well first off I don't need any chances from you but i'll give you a chance to explain why it is a horrific question?

You seem to be quite obsessed with what I post on this site

5 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

Well first off I don't need any chances from you but i'll give you a chance to explain why it is a horrific question?

You seem to be quite obsessed with what I post on this site

I’m not obsessed at all, I’m simply trying to gauge whether you’re ignorant, hateful or just trolling. The posts you make in this thread in particular all suggest at least one of those three.

But sorry, please, let’s get back to anti-gay (homophobia) not being an issue...

The unintelligent clearly can’t distinguish between ‘snowflake’ and ‘not a prick’.

• Like 1

You seem to think that other people are not allowed to have an opinion about something if it differs from your own opinion so what does that make you.

I post my opinions and I don't give a shit whether you like them or not so just put me on ignore if you don't like what I post.

I don't go following you around the forum and picking up on every little thing that you post.

You seem to hold yourself to a higher level than me, that's fine but just don't try to talk down to me.

• Thanks 1

Oop. Triggered. Must be a snowflake.

4 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

You seem to think that other people are not allowed to have an opinion about something if it differs from your own opinion so what does that make you.

I post my opinions and I don't give a shit whether you like them or not so just put me on ignore if you don't like what I post.

I don't go following you around the forum and picking up on every little thing that you post.

You seem to hold yourself to a higher level than me, that's fine but just don't try to talk down to me.

You don't often actually post your opinions though. You post some vague allusion to bigotry and then absolutely bottle it if asked to explain what it is you actually mean. Just say it with your chest, it's your right and we're just a band of snowflakes. What's stopping you?

The basis of the anti-snowflake brigade seems to be founded in the right to say inflammatory things but what's the point in having defenders of free speech who are too chicken shit to speak freely? Articulation is a better weapon than pearl clutching isn't it?

• Like 3

Weather report - it has been snowing heavily at the BBC.

The BBC has received 100,000 complaints from members of the public over its coverage of the Duke of Edinburgh's death, according to the Sun newspaper.

The corporation cleared its schedules to cover the news when Prince Philip died on Friday, at the age of 99.

EastEnders and the MasterChef final were replaced by news programmes, while BBC Four was taken off air completely.

Oh Didums, did you miss your programmes?

3 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

Personally not a single one, I don't watch broadcast tv as I find the vast bulk of it tedious in the first place so I can just sit back and laugh. I get/got as much Phil news as I require (and more) from this place in a few clicks.

However: One* channel devoted to the bloke is plenty, it covers those who wish to wallow in the endless repetition and cry into their sherry (hello Iain) whilst the rest can get on with their lives and watch something else. The complaints are totally reasonable, people are paying a licence fee for this.

I reckon this is about the bbc waving the flag and politics rather than providing a service to its viewers.

*In fact they should just have stuffed it on the bbc news channel since as far as I know that's available to nearly all now on digital or satellite and left even bbc1 alone.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Personally not a single one, I don't watch broadcast tv as I find the vast bulk of it tedious in the first place so I can just sit back and laugh. I get/got as much Phil news as I require (and more) from this place in a few clicks.

However: One* channel devoted to the bloke is plenty, it covers those who wish to wallow in the endless repetition and cry into their sherry (hello Iain) whilst the rest can get on with their lives and watch something else. The complaints are totally reasonable, people are paying a licence fee for this.

I reckon this is about the bbc waving the flag and politics rather than providing a service to its viewers.

*In fact they should just have stuffed it on the bbc news channel since as far as I know that's available to nearly all now on digital or satellite and left even bbc1 alone.

Pretty much my opinion too, although I don't begrudge dedicating one of the main channels to it.  But no need whatsoever to run it on all channels.

I didn't watch any of it, I was quite fond of the old bugger but I already knew a lot about him and his life, so I doubt I would have learned anything new.  Nothing important anyway.

3 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

Weather report - it has been snowing heavily at the BBC.

The BBC has received 100,000 complaints from members of the public over its coverage of the Duke of Edinburgh's death, according to the Sun newspaper.

The corporation cleared its schedules to cover the news when Prince Philip died on Friday, at the age of 99.

EastEnders and the MasterChef final were replaced by news programmes, while BBC Four was taken off air completely.

No, didn't miss anything that bothered me too greatly, but even if Phil had been monarch, not merely consort, one channel of saturation coverage is sufficient. I'm surprised Sharp hasn't brought back closedown & the national anthem every night, fawning lickspittle that he is.

35 minutes ago, Toast said:

Pretty much my opinion too, although I don't begrudge dedicating one of the main channels to it.  But no need whatsoever to run it on all channels.

I didn't watch any of it, I was quite fond of the old bugger but I already knew a lot about him and his life, so I doubt I would have learned anything new.  Nothing important anyway.

(Hey, I missed TOTP repeats and I wont see them till... Friday. :lol:)

After Diana, there was a BBC inquiry into how to cover something like this and they decided that interrupting programming to announce, then focusing on that on one of the major channels that day was the best way forward. Which iirc is what they did for the Queen Mum. However, since then, the Beeb have been getting in the neck from their pay masters (ie the government), especially in recent years, for not being patriotic* enough and so we got what happened - basically, it wasn't about respect, or mourning, it was a bit of virtue signalling to the Tory backbenchers. (Which in the end is pointless imo because that lot would want rid of the Beeb if it became the 24/7 Brexit is amazing with some Archers channels!)

(Also note the top two at the Beeb are now the former boss of Rishi Sunak and Tory fundraiser, and a friend of Dominic Cummings, so watch for more government friendly shifts in the future...)

(You don't want to get me started on governments deliberately confusing patriotism with "agreeing with them" as this lot do all the fucking time...)

• Like 1

Personally I never missed a thing on TV as I don't watch any of the chanels that had all the coverage anyway, I would not even have known about his death if there had not been a banner at the botton of the screen on Dave, I saw that as i was flicking through the chanels looking for something to watch while having sometghing to eat.

I have no problem at all with the saturation coverage of things like this, they can use as many chanels as they like to mourn, I won't let it bother what I do with my day.

The coverage of the same thing was on bbc1, bbc2, BBC alba, BBC Scotland, BBC parliament,  BBC news while BBC 4 was taken off the air.  A bit of overkill IMO.   Oh, and while I'm at it, there was wall to wall stuff as well on the itv network.   How many times can one person die? Announce he's dead, then get on with it.  One channel (BBC news) would have been sufficient.  

• Like 1

image.png.a0a852320c897b3179cfa0c0826601ad.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Toast said:

image.png.a0a852320c897b3179cfa0c0826601ad.png

Perhaps Most Haunted could do an edition where they attempt to contact Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan to have them apologise for all the times they blacked up 

I remember a time when John Cleese was funny.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2021 at 17:40, time said:

I remember a time when John Cleese was funny.

Yes, when he posted that tweet.

You say you 'remember when he was funny'. That's only because his 70s work hasn't been "cancelled" yet.

By next week it could be, and then you'd be lynched for sounding like you admired it!

What you said is a really snide remark in an attempt to suck up to SJW loonies, to make yourself feel younger (just like the emaciated show The Simpsons is doing) Both are embarrassing. I don't think you understand how rapidly the ground shifts in such cults.

Quicksand (with landmines in it) is no place for someone your age.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MoneySavingExpt said:

Yes, when he posted that tweet.

You say you 'remember when he was funny'. That's only because his 70s work hasn't been "cancelled" yet.

By next week it could be, and then you'd be lynched for sounding like you admired it!

What you said is a really snide remark in an attempt to suck up to SJW loonies, to make yourself feel younger (just like the emaciated show The Simpsons is doing) Both are embarrassing. I don't think you understand how rapidly the ground shifts in such cults.

Quicksand (with landmines in it) is no place for someone your age.

:blink:

- What one finds funny is entirely subjective.
- Age has shit all to do with neither what one finds funny nor one’s views on social justice.

- Wanting social justice does not make one an SJW, embarrassing, or indeed a loony (the direct opposite is true).

- Please don’t be a twat, particularly straight off the bat, and to established and esteemed members of this forum.

4 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

- Age has shit all to do with neither what one finds funny nor one’s views on social justice.

You may as well have just said the amount of fuel poured on something has nothing to do with how quickly it goes up in flames.

I stand by my post entirely.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MoneySavingExpt said:

You may as well have just said the amount of fuel poured on something has nothing to do with how quickly it goes up in flames.

I stand by my post entirely.

Do you seriously think that certain views and mindsets are purely age-specific?

1 minute ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Do you seriously think that certain views and mindsets are purely age-specific?

No, your assertion was still ridiculous, no matter how many times you say "seriously".

Sorry can't argue any more, I'm off to watch "Open All Hours" on Gold with all my dorm-mates, while my Gran is getting ready to protest the George Floyd verdict. See ya!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoneySavingExpt said:

No, your assertion was still ridiculous, no matter how many times you say "seriously".

Sorry can't argue any more, I'm off to watch "Open All Hours" on Gold with all my dorm-mates, while my Gran is getting ready to protest the George Floyd verdict. See ya!

Yeah, edgy. Aren’t you brilliant?

It was just a question, which of course I regret asking as you’ve clearly only two brain cells, both of which are fighting for third place.

But as a heads up, old people can be ‘woke’, just as young people can be ‘gammons’. Ian McKellen and Darren Grimes are respective examples of this.