Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2019 Deathlist?

Loads and loads of good names mentioned in this thread already. Some better than others of course!

Any unique picks not mentioned so far then that I would suggest? Looking at my own list from this year I can suggest:

Timothy Dudley-Smith (b. 1926) - hymn writer

Desmond Morris (b. 1928) - zoologist

Lyndon LaRouche (b. 1922) - American conspiracy theorist and political activist

Jean-Marie Le Pen (b. 1928) - former French National Front leader

Josef Fritzl (b. 1935) - Austrian incest dad

Irmin Schmidt (b. 1937) - German keyboardist, most of his bandmates have passed

Rex Garrod (DOB unknown) - engineer, creator of Brum and Cassius on Robot Wars

Plus pretty much all the other living candidates on my list in my signature as well would be decent enough picks (read it!)

I had an old list of names that I wrote up in 2016. Here are some less obvious names, still living, that I obtained from that list.

Hosni Mubarak

E O Wilson
Eugene Wright (jazz bassist)
Jean Raspail
Richard Lynn
Jurgen Habermas
Alan Greenspan
Ross Perot
Walter Mondale
Micheline Bernardini (French bikini woman - would be an absolutely ingenious pick)
Ron Jeremy
Gary Glitter
Anders Breivik
Ian Watkins
Roberta McCain
Burt Bacharach
Richard Sherman (Disney songwriter)
Peter Tobin
Tony Bennett
Bill Wyman
Kurt Westergaard
John Cantlie
Arvo Part

Richard Wilson
Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg
Judy Blume

There are probably more people that I could think of, people whose names I have encountered throughout the year and thought to myself they would be good candidates for this place, but I'm just too busy with my own life to be able to remember who they all are. I am a strictly casual Death Lister and only really come on here at Christmas and New Year, or when someone famous dies.

Hope this post has helped anyway, if even in just some small way!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ImissMontpellier said:

LaRouche and Le Pen Sr are obvious choices for 2019. 

You would think so, but that brings me on to an important point I'd like to make.

Basically, when the Committee make their annual list, what they are doing is weighing up a person's fame/importance (considering whether they would be a "big hit" - i.e. a death that generates news headlines around the world) versus a person's likelihood of dying in a given year.

And it seems to me that the Committee often choose to miss out the people who are the most likely to die, even if they have been extensively discussed by the forums here, and instead put people who are less likely to die, but would be bigger hits if they did die.

There have been some really stupid misses by the committee as a result.

People who were perfectly notable and obitable, such as Howard Marks, John Wetton, and many others.

And yet they come away with shite picks like Ron Wood and Paul Gascoigne?

I just don't get it!

• Like 2

To be fair, Ronnie Wood was a reasonable pick at the time as he was known to have lung cancer and was quoted as saying he wouldn't have chemo because he didn't want to lose his hair.  The news of his remission (if that's the right word) came later. 

• Like 2

Lyndon LaRouche is 96, but both his parents lived well into old age, and family members lived past 100, last I knew his health was still good., 

Norman Lloyd is 104 but still acted in a TV series as recently as this year.

Not sure either are the best of choices just for age reasons.

Hosni Mubarak was supposedly on his deathbead years ago, he has to be an obvious choice.

John Rigas of the Adelphia Cable scandal is 94 and supposedly had terminal bladder cancer a few years ago.

LaRouche would probably generate the most news mentions given the 8 presidential runs and similarities to Trump, probably followed closely by Norman Lloyd. Rigas has kind of been buried by various financial scandals like Madoff. 

Tony Bennett is still actively performing, in fact he’s on some show tomorrow, he’s like 92 but doesn’t seem like the best choice at the moment.

Here is one I haven’t seen... children’s author Beverly Cleary who is 102

• Like 3

Time to start campaigning to get Lee Kerslake on the deathlist next year, now that he has months to live...

On 11/12/2018 at 21:36, Joey Russ said:

Time to start campaigning to get Lee Kerslake on the deathlist next year, now that he has months to live...

Seems like a decent pick to me, but hardly a household name

Basically the sort of person people will put on their own lists but the Committee won't

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Weebl said:

Seems like a decent pick to me, but hardly a household name

Basically the sort of person people will put on their own lists but the Committee won't

Precisely.  Wasn't worth the O.P. Joey knows better.

30 minutes ago, Putin said:

Carol Channing

Definitely. And there's a long list of very old actors & actresses who may go next year:

Many deathlisters concentrate so much on centenarians & nonagenarians, that they forget that octogenarians, septuagenarians & sexagenarians die too. 

Jane Powell, Rhonda Fleming, Arlene Dahl, Angela Lansbury. Maggie Smith & Kim Novak (breast cancer). Micheline Presle, Zizi Jeanmaire, Brigitte Bardot. Michael Lonsdale, Alain Delon, Michel Piccoli. Monica Vitti, Gina Lollobrigida.

Many famous German movie stars are still alive. Hardy Krüger, for instance.

There are also many old opera singers. Jose Carreras looks more and more like a ghost. 

• Like 1

Just randomly choose names, from my signature, since you'll have better luck. :angel5::P

• Haha 1

There's a name in my top 10 who has somehow only managed 1 mention on this forum and is a guaranteed QO. Curious to see if the Committee will be blind to this person as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Banana said:

There's a name in my top 10 who has somehow only managed 1 mention on this forum and is a guaranteed QO. Curious to see if the Committee will be blind to this person as well.

If you are talking about Henri Richard, then I doubt the Committee will pick him because ice hockey isn't popular enough in the UK and he's not a name people here would know.

At least that's the way I see it, I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Weebl said:

If you are talking about Henri Richard, then I doubt the Committee will pick him because ice hockey isn't popular enough in the UK and he's not a name people here would know.

I agree w hockey’s obvious lack of popularity in almost all cases.  However there are a very few stalwarts and game ambassadors that transcend cultural misgivings, and I’d like to believe the great Henri Richard is in the same echelon as Howe, Orr, Esposito, Hull, Gretzky, Limieux.  If Scotty Bowman doesn’t QO, for instance, this game is a fraud.  I suppose I feel the same re: Richard.  Did Stan Mikita QO?  Shame if he didn’t.

SC

47 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I agree w hockey’s obvious lack of popularity in almost all cases.  However there are a very few stalwarts and game ambassadors that transcend cultural misgivings, and I’d like to believe the great Henri Richard is in the same echelon as Howe, Orr, Esposito, Hull, Gretzky, Limieux.  If Scotty Bowman doesn’t QO, for instance, this game is a fraud.  I suppose I feel the same re: Richard.  Did Stan Mikita QO?  Shame if he didn’t.

SC

Some of the main sports that are popular in the UK are football, rugby, cricket, golf, and tennis. Boxing and the Olympic sports also have some popularity.

For a sportsperson from a sport like hockey, baseball, or American football to appear on a British DeathList, it would have to be someone fairly iconic or one of the top individuals in their field, due to the fact that a UK obituary is required in order to be a hit.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

Bowman was the bloke in 2001. He played ice hockey eh? Who knew? 

And that, right there is your Yankcentric problem Creepy ;), you've fallen into this trap before as have other Americans, game show hosts, reality tv 'stars'...almost all your sports, yes people in other parts of the world 'might' have heard of them, then again you might know a few Japanese sumo wrestlers.....doesn't mean they should be in this game, and the game is not a fraud because it doesn't have some bloke on a spaceship who once played ice hockey in it.

The only one of those I ever heard of was Gretzky, so much so that I actually know his first name was Wayne, but that's it.

• Like 1

Any NHL Hall Of Famer's will easily get a QO,but its' really a regional/niche sport even in American outside of Cold weather cities in the Northeast and Midwest. Alexander Ovechkin or Sidney Crosby could walk down the street in Los Angeles,Mami and a lot of other big cities and no one would know who the hell they were.  That said I think Gordie Howe was a huge DL omission a few years ago.He was basically the name associated with that sport until Gretzky came along,similiar to how people who have never watch still associate say Tony Hawk with Skateboarding,Pele with football,Tiger Woods with Golf etc.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, En Passant said:

The only one of those I ever heard of was Gretzky..............

When you are the editor of one of the DDP QO sources, this will concern me.  

On 15/12/2018 at 05:42, Weebl said:

I was speaking towards 2019, not my 2018 list.

And now I feel bad for not specifying lol

So many to mention but one I will highlight is Coronation Street legend Julie Goodyear.An absolute soap icon who in one of her more recent appearances on tv had to be carried onto the quiz show or gameshow set because she was so breathless and struggling.A long term heavy smoker in her seventies in this condition is definitely one to watch and consider.

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

So many to mention but one I will highlight is Coronation Street legend Julie Goodyear.An absolute soap icon who in one of her more recent appearances on tv had to be carried onto the quiz show or gameshow set because she was so breathless and struggling.A long term heavy smoker in her seventies in this condition is definitely one to watch and consider.

Many heavy smokers in their seventies and older should be added to 2019 deathlist. Like Marianne Faithfull (who was a drug addict decades ago)

Any names?

Bring back Nobby Stiles in 2019.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Putin said:

Bring back Nobby Stiles in 2019.

And add Martin Peters