Guest Theo

Brooke Astor

I think this should be a lesson to the likes of me. Clearly B.A. didn't get rich frittering her money away on bets about the likely dates of death of the elderly. Not that I'm gonna risk more but I'm now of the opinion she'll see 2006.

Guest iain

are you sure she didnt die years ago without anyone noticing? :angry:

Yep.

Are you doubting the veracity of the mods?

The closing words from her Wikipedia entry:

Upon Vincent Astor's death in 1959, she took charge of the philanthropies to which he left his fortune. Despite liquidating the Vincent Astor Foundation in 1997, she continues to be active in charities and in New York's social life.

She is the author of several books, including novels and a memoir, A Patchwork Child.

Yep.

Are you doubting the veracity of the mods?

The closing words from her Wikipedia entry:

Upon Vincent Astor's death in 1959, she took charge of the philanthropies to which he left his fortune. Despite liquidating the Vincent Astor Foundation in 1997, she continues to be active in charities and in New York's social life.

She is the author of several books, including novels and a memoir, A Patchwork Child.

Whoa, she wrote childrens books? She could probably pen a couple new ones in her advanced age, like "Hide and Seek: Where's my memory?" and "Fun things in Grandma's diaper."

I know reports say that she's still active in New York society, but how active and sharp can you really be at 103?

I know reports say that she's still active in New York society, but how active and sharp can you really be at 103?

Dunno. I do know that Mrs Roodzant was still playing chess at my club at 100.

mw-roodzant.jpg

regards,

Hein

Dunno. I do know that Mrs Roodzant was still playing chess at my club at 100.

mw-roodzant.jpg

regards,

Hein

Still playing chess at 100, that's pretty impressive.

not that impressive....shes knocked half her pieces over !

She could probably pen a couple new ones in her advanced age, like "Hide and Seek: Where's my memory?" and "Fun things in Grandma's diaper."

One of the Shrivers (I forget which) wrote "What's Happening To Grandpa" about good ol' nonagenarian Sargant Shriver's Alzheimers. So it's not that outlandish either :angry:

:lol:

She also has an expression that says, "Where am I, whats this S**t, and who are you?'.

Nice cheekbones though. I thought it was Cher.

She is not quite the best looking centenarian I've ever seen, that's for sure. (I googled, and she actually made it to 102, before finally submitting to the inevitable in 1999).

But let's get back to our beloved Brooke. Does anyone know what 'being active in NY society' actually means?

:lol: raider+Dec 20 2005, 12:36 AM-->

QUOTE(Tom(;) raider @ Dec 20 2005, 12:36 AM)

She is not quite the best looking centenarian I've ever seen, that's for sure. (I googled, and she actually made it to 102, before finally submitting to the inevitable in 1999).

But let's get back to our beloved Brooke. Does anyone know what 'being active in NY society' actually means?

mobile1.jpg

Well this is being old and 'active' in GB society according to Google.

An educated guess would be: She meets people, including some she's worked alongside for years, donates money here and there and gets invited to events where she's helped in and out of the limo and waited on hand and foot whilst she's there. Probably eats well, gets the best medical attention and hangs in there.

Lengthy bouts of sexual activity with her astride a hot horny hunk bleeding him dry and making him beg for mercy are - I think - unlikely.

Lengthy bouts of sexual activity with her astride a hot horny hunk bleeding him dry and making him beg for mercy are - I think - unlikely.

Well, thank God they are!

Thanks for that image...I was just about to eat breakfast.

:D

She also has an expression that says, "Where am I, whats this S**t, and who are you?'.

I only claimed she was still playing chess at 100. I didn't claim that she played chess well at 100. :D

BTW, she was Dutch women's champion several times and in 1939 she finished seventh (out of 20 competitors) at the Women's World Chess Championship in Buenos Aires.

The technical term is: she resigned.

regards,

Hein

Last night I dreamt Brooke Astor would check out as the second death of the year.

Last night I dreamt that Windsor was monarch of England and I was Prime Minister.

Perhaps if both of us dream of DL, then our combined powers can make one of those dreams come true.

So... can Canadians become Prime Minister of England?

Last night I dreamt Brooke Astor would check out as the second death of the year.

Last night I dreamt that Windsor was monarch of England and I was Prime Minister.

Perhaps if both of us dream of DL, then our combined powers can make one of those dreams come true.

I respect your theory and I hope our dreams come true.

I know I wouldn't want to be a Prime Minister but if that's your dream Paul

then I wish you the very best.

Windsor on the other hand......your dream may have some truth within it.

As Windsors DL time may be very precious. :crossbone:

They can when I'm King. :crossbone:

Has anyone heard anything about her?

Yes, She's still alive :D

For whatever reason, I was actually looking up any recent news on her. Absolutely nothing and, unlike with some people, we can't even infer any information from the fact that there is no information...

For whatever reason, I was actually looking up any recent news on her. Absolutely nothing and, unlike with some people, we can't even infer any information from the fact that there is no information...

The rich are so secretive, especially old money rich like the Astors, even though Brooke only married into that family.

The rich are so secretive, especially old money rich like the Astors, even though Brooke only married into that family.

Isn't it always said - Marry for love? B)