1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

This is exceptionally well done and should give a good few of you a warm, fuzzy feeling inside. It was thrilling to me, and I'm nowhere near as familiar with her as some of you lot (I really need to watch more Classic Who, especially now it's on iPlayer!)

Leela is one of the greatest Doctor Who companions, played by the wonderful Louise Jameson (Tenko, Bergerac, RSC stuff). She was once called the most accomplished actress to play a Dr Who companion and tbh the only real argument is if you count Jean Marsh as a official companion or not imo!

• Like 1

I've found the animated reconstructions of the wiped episodes to be generally of decent quality, but then there's episode 3 of The Web of Fear :facepalm:

Screenshot_20240124_214358_BBC iPlayer.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prussianblue said:

I've found the animated reconstructions of the wiped episodes to be generally of decent quality, but then there's episode 3 of The Web of Fear :facepalm:

It's the only animated reconstruction I've never seen, I saw the trailer for it and knew it wouldn't be for me and considering that The Web of Fear only has that one missing episode I'm perfectly fine just watching the telesnap reconstruction. The upcoming Celestial Toymaker animation seems to be in a similar style and I'm not sure if I'll buy it  as I've already got the Vinyl release from a few years ago anyway.

Aside from the crude design, they move like drunk marionettes. I honestly remember the animation in '90s kids classic ReBoot being better. 

MV5BMTQwODkyOTMwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjUzMzgzMjE@._V1_.jpg

How secure is the Disney + deal. With Disney clearly heading towards a ban on ‘political /woke’ content I do wonder how likely the current show would keep being funded when it’s pretty diverse/‘woke’ in its casting and that RTD would not likely stay if ordered to tone or remove those elements. 

• Facepalm 3

I thought it was three year deal but we are close to having two seasons in the bag already so if they walk away at the end of the contract I suspect the BBC will try to do what they did in 1989 just let It drift off. Until we actually get underway with the full new series it will be difficult for Disney to gauge how much traffic it pulls in outside the UK

Spoiler

Filming two seasons back to back may be down to Disney influence as I believe that's more common in the US than over here. But on the downside, episode one of the Ncuti and Millie era (if you don't count the Christmas special) are still three months away and we've already had confirmation of Millie leaving after one season (to be possibly replaced by an actor I won't name here for spoilery reasons) and rumours that Ncuti will only be in the role for two full seasons (of eight episodes each) and then regenerate in his third. So the era has barely gotten off the ground and we already have a good idea of how it ends because everything is so far in advance. 

A lot of people want to seem to make some drama out of Millie Gibson moving on so quickly but keeping the show moving has always been important. I am hoping that it is because her story is told and wrapped up. 

Most of the New Era Doctors have done three years. In the history of the show only Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker did more.

Like David Tennant and Matt Smith, Ncuti Gatwa is a rising star and so will naturally want to take bigger opportunities as they come along

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

A lot of people want to seem to make some drama out of Millie Gibson moving on so quickly but keeping the show moving has always been important. I am hoping that it is because her story is told and wrapped up. 

Most of the New Era Doctors have done three years. In the history of the show only Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker did more.

Like David Tennant and Matt Smith, Ncuti Gatwa is a rising star and so will naturally want to take bigger opportunities as they come along

I think the real issue is that it's all happening so fast. We've just met Ruby, I really enjoyed her being in the Christmas special and am looking forward to finding out more about her. The fact she's already on her way out is sad. But, like you, I hope her story is told first. New Who always worked a season in advance, at least in the RTD era - we knew Billie Piper was leaving before Series 2 started IIRC. But here, we're practically 2 seasons ahead. And the seasons are shorter. Ncuti was always going to move on, he's a rising star, but it would be nice to spend some time with his Doctor before wondering who he'll bigenerate into.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Companions in the classic series also used to last three years in the role on average. Most these days are lucky to manage two before they're written out. Another issue is that the seasons have fewer and fewer episodes each year, so we barely get to know the Doctors/companions before we're having to say goodbye to one or both. I'm not sure I'd agree with the idea that having a constant revolving door of main characters leaving at the end of every single season is all that's needed to keep the show 'moving forward', especially given the shorter seasons. 

27 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

Companions in the classic series also used to last three years in the role on average. Most these days are lucky to manage two before they're written out. Another issue is that the seasons have fewer and fewer episodes each year, so we barely get to know the Doctors/companions before we're having to say goodbye to one or both. I'm not sure I'd agree with the idea that having a constant revolving door of main characters leaving at the end of every single season is all that's needed to keep the show 'moving forward', especially given the shorter seasons. 

Nerd point of information. Only four classic companions lasted three seasons: Frazer Hines, Katy Manning, Lis Sladen and Janet Fielding. You could argue Sophie Aldred. The average was about a year and a half. They did however have far more episodes: Peter Purves was in roughly forty six episodes from 1965-66. That's more than Bill Potts and every Whitaker companion combined!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Nerd point of information. Only four classic companions lasted three seasons: Frazer Hines, Katy Manning, Lis Sladen and Janet Fielding. You could argue Sophie Aldred. The average was about a year and a half. They did however have far more episodes: Peter Purves was in roughly forty six episodes from 1965-66. That's more than Bill Potts and every Whitaker companion combined!

If I could be bothered (and had the time) I'd also divide it up into stories (of which modern companions will almost always come out on top due to most stories being standalone episodes these days) and hours (of which, perhaps, modern companions will also end up on top, as it used to be only 30 minutes per episode I think?). 46 episodes of 30 minutes would be 23 hours of screen time. Billie Piper did 2 seasons in her regular run, about 27 episodes, but at least 45 mins an episode so that would take her past 20 hours no problem, on 19 less episodes.

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I think the real issue is that it's all happening so fast. We've just met Ruby, I really enjoyed her being in the Christmas special and am looking forward to finding out more about her. The fact she's already on her way out is sad. But, like you, I hope her story is told first. New Who always worked a season in advance, at least in the RTD era - we knew Billie Piper was leaving before Series 2 started IIRC. But here, we're practically 2 seasons ahead. And the seasons are shorter. Ncuti was always going to move on, he's a rising star, but it would be nice to spend some time with his Doctor before wondering who he'll bigenerate into.

They were rumours (Which was sometimes denied and sometimes not) but it wasn’t confirmed until three weeks before we saw her final episode. Freema Agyeman’s Martha was then announced as the new companion a few days before Rose left. 

10 hours ago, msc said:

I could also cheat and count Romanas 1+2 as a single companion (and maybe K9 if I'm really pushing the definition). Whatever the exact timescale, most of them seemed to have tenures on the show which lasted longer than any modern companion and more material to show for their time. Mel Bush and Turlough are the exceptions I can think of. 

I've literally not commented about Millie Gibson situation because if you are a Whovian you know that most companions don't last a long time unless there is a special case. Also, she will most likely return at some point unless Ruby Sunday dies. Even then that may not stop you from coming back because a lesbian Silurian is able to do that kind of thing from the 1800's.

So the new series will be released May 11th, before Eurovison, with a 2 episode premier. However the episodes will be released on iPlayer at midnight the same day (and the equivalent time on Disney+ worldwide). Press Release.

I'm not a fan of this for multiple reasons,

1. If you want to avoid spoilers you will either have to avoid social media all day or watch the episodes at midnight.

2. A 2 episode premier will make the already decreased episode count feel even shorter.

3. Less people will watch live, and it could damage that traditional 'family viewing' that the show thrives on, let alone the loss of the 'event television'.

4. Global simultaneous release feels unfair for the UK as we have to stay up late whereas for example America gets it midway through the day.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

So the new series will be released May 11th, before Eurovison, with a 2 episode premier. However the episodes will be released on iPlayer at midnight the same day (and the equivalent time on Disney+ worldwide). Press Release.

I'm not a fan of this for multiple reasons,

1. If you want to avoid spoilers you will either have to avoid social media all day or watch the episodes at midnight.

2. A 2 episode premier will make the already decreased episode count feel even shorter.

3. Less people will watch live, and it could damage that traditional 'family viewing' that the show thrives on, let alone the loss of the 'event television'.

4. Global simultaneous release feels unfair for the UK as we have to stay up late whereas for example America gets it midway through the day.

The Five Doctors was broadcast in the US two days before it was aired in the UK

The television landscape is constantly changing and many series are now releasing in batches or at different times

Casual viewers will probably still watch on linear broadcast

If you are asleep at midnight. How different would it be if you watched it when you got up on the Saturday morning are you worried your friends are going to telepathically invade your dreams with major spoilers?

The BBC will keep the situation under review. They altered the way The Traitors most recent series was released because of real risk of spoilers

I think the only people who are complaining are those who want to be the first to spoiler it for other people on social media

31 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

The Five Doctors was broadcast in the US two days before it was aired in the UK

The television landscape is constantly changing and many series are now releasing in batches or at different times

Casual viewers will probably still watch on linear broadcast

If you are asleep at midnight. How different would it be if you watched it when you got up on the Saturday morning are you worried your friends are going to telepathically invade your dreams with major spoilers?

The BBC will keep the situation under review. They altered the way The Traitors most recent series was released because of real risk of spoilers

I think the only people who are complaining are those who want to be the first to spoiler it for other people on social media

1. It also happened with the TV movie, it doesn't mean I have to like it.

2. I understand that, I know Eastenders is released on iPlayer on the mornings of broadcast. It's more the fact that it's midnight meaning it will mean staying up late and a larger gap between broadcast. Also as a flagship BBC show I would've thought they'd try to prioritise live TV.

3. True but it still makes for a worse experience for fans

4. I have a routine and inserting Doctor Who on a morning won't fit, I could probably watch it a couple of hours before broadcast, but I doubt I could avoid spoilers that way. Also I don't want to wake up and start watching it just to avoid spoilers as it will worsen my enjoyment. 

5. It's always a possibility but that would require something to go wrong, and by then it would be too late.

6. I agree some people won't be able to resist tweeting as soon as the episode is released, I'm not one of those people. I'm a massive Corrie fan and when that occasionally goes off schedule and episodes are released early on ITVX (if I watch them before broadcast) I always wait to put my thoughts out there.

(it's not a major issue, it will just be a massive inconvenience for me and I don't like it)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Less people will watch live, and it could damage that traditional 'family viewing' that the show thrives on, let alone the loss of the 'event television'.

969688070_Fewerpedantsrevolt.jpg.46fcc4338fd599f37c487153d356ee17.jpg

3 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Global simultaneous release feels unfair for the UK as we have to stay up late whereas for example America gets it midway through the day.

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

If you are asleep at midnight. How different would it be if you watched it when you got up on the Saturday morning ?

Agree with Biblio. When Game Of Thrones was on,  I usually watched it when I got up in the morning.

But it was amazing how many people thought it was a choice between watching at 2 am or waiting for the scheduled broadcast at 9 pm.  They just couldn't see that once it had been shown, you could watch it on catch-up whenever it suited you.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Toast said:

969688070_Fewerpedantsrevolt.jpg.46fcc4338fd599f37c487153d356ee17.jpg

Agree with Biblio. When Game Of Thrones was on,  I usually watched it when I got up in the morning.

But it was amazing how many people thought it was a choice between watching at 2 am or waiting for the scheduled broadcast at 9 pm.  They just couldn't see that once it had been shown, you could watch it on catch-up whenever it suited you.

Doctor Who is the very definition of teatime TV though. The idea of watching it on a Saturday morning during breakfast just to avoid spoilers doesn't appeal to me. I'm not against an iPlayer-first release but it feels like the timing was done to prioritise American fans, since midnight here is early evening in the US. 

I will already be up late that evening anyway because of post Eurovision adrenaline so that is fine for me.

15 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

I will already be up late that evening anyway because of post Eurovision adrenaline so that is fine for me.

No it will be the night before Eurovision because the broadcast will be immediately before the contest

With the prospect of a Doctor Who double bill on TV immediately before the ESC and the second episode is the only one we have a title for The Devil's Chord which might suggest it is the one with Jinx Monsoon in could end up with Ollie Alexander representing the UK at Eurovision as being only the second campest thing on TV that day.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

With the prospect of a Doctor Who double bill on TV immediately before the ESC and the second episode is the only one we have a title for The Devil's Chord which might suggest it is the one with Jinx Monsoon in could end up with Ollie Alexander representing the UK at Eurovision as being only the second campest thing on TV that day.

Maybe the plan was to have the music-themed episode scheduled on the 11th for that reason but the first episode had to be moved back for some unspecified reason?

• Like 1

Moffat is coming back.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1