5 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Did you ever watch Years and Years? He wrote good drama there of the future and political situation.

No, I'll admit I didn't.

Why has British telly lost the ability to dramatise real life in a real way? Social commentary seems to be under-represented, Skins was above average I guess, I, Daniel Blake for the big screen is how it's done, but you get a bigger audience on the tellybox. You have the niche stuff that concentrates on one aspect, but they never open it up to telling stories in the wider context - the personal with the political. 

Someone captures that market - BAFTAs and riches await. ;)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

No, I'll admit I didn't.

Why has British telly lost the ability to dramatise real life in a real way? Social commentary seems to be under-represented, Skins was above average I guess, I, Daniel Blake for the big screen is how it's done, but you get a bigger audience on the tellybox. You have the niche stuff that concentrates on one aspect, but they never open it up to telling stories in the wider context - the personal with the political. 

Someone captures that market - BAFTAs and riches await. ;)

There was Help in 2021 with its 12 minute one take of Jodie Comer trying to save the covid patient. It was quite no holds barred (and accurate, apparently) about what was happening in the care homes, though Act 3 went a bit mad (though not by Skins levels, of course) and even then, the "it's too soon" brigade were loud in criticism. Still, it won the BAFTA that I predicted watching it on broadcast. There is still your thoughtful TV imo but censorship from high is a hell of a thing at the moment (your sanitised It's A Sin was post-heavy censoring on what was allowed to be shown) and so a lot of it sneaks out on genre TV because there's still this prejudice that SF or horror can't possibly say anything to critique the world. (That's how Rod Serling got away with half the stuff he said about American society in The Twilight Zone!) Also, there's a whole lot of TV fluff it can got lost in!

Mind that Our Friends in the North showed Thatcherism's impact on their northern town a decade after the events. 

That This England thing at the moment, if it wasn't hidden on some Sky Channel, would bring down the government imo. Even with Branagh's godawful Boris Johnson impression.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Mind that Our Friends in the North showed Thatcherism's impact on their northern town a decade after the events.

Good take on all of the above. I've plucked out this sentence - I'd argue we were living with the consequences of Thatcherism up to 2020. Brexit broke that link, now the poor sods of this country will be living with that for decades, but hey, they voted for them and it.

I couldn't bring myself to watch This England. By default, there will be a huge gathering of sympathy for the main character(s). From what I saw on the trailers, that was obvious. I dunno what it's like, the UK House of Cards was awesome, but we are dealing with real life cunts here. This is the flip side of TV, there is a major story and three months later there is a dramatisation of it. That's weak imo.

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Good take on all of the above. I've plucked out this sentence - I'd argue we were living with the consequences of Thatcherism up to 2020. Brexit broke that link, now the poor sods of this country will be living with that for decades, but hey, they voted for them and it.

I couldn't bring myself to watch This England. By default, there will be a huge gathering of sympathy for the main character(s). From what I saw on the trailers, that was obvious. I dunno what it's like, the UK House of Cards was awesome, but we are dealing with real life cunts here. This is the flip side of TV, there is a major story and three months later there is a dramatisation of it. That's weak imo.

Oh aye, the post-79 status continued long after she left - I just meant that OFITN probably wouldn't have been shown on TV at the height of the miners strike!

This England is horrific. I don't recommend it. Yes, the government figures in it all think they're great, but they're clearly cunts. It focuses on all those ordinary people who catch covid because of government fuck up and every single one of them die. Worse, all of them are based on real life people who actually died. Horrendous. Only watching it in small bits at a time because it's making me so angry.

It's worse than House of Cards. House of Cards is about an intelligent bastard. And its fiction. This England is about an incompetent vainglorious fool who risks peoples lives chasing after windmills, surrounded by a team made up of the Peter Principle, doing nothing while Rome burns all around them, only to add petrol to the fire. And it's not fiction.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I'd argue that we're still living with the consequences of Thatcherism and will continue to do so for the foreseeable. But maybe that's a discussion for another thread.

I haven't (and don't think I will ) watch This England (too soon). Years and Years passed me by but I might get around to it if its streaming anywhere. 

When RTD resurrected Doctor Who, I was initially sceptical, but it grew on me, but Chibnall's stories were, in the main, disappointing in that they weren't, for me, 'Doctory' enough - and the less said about John Bishop the better.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, DaDeathGuy said:

Happy 59. The most boring anniversary imaginable.

Kennedys assassination? 

4 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Kennedys assassination? 

Happened the day before you numbnuts.

4 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Kennedys assassination? 

I was going to make a gag about how Kennedy dying didn't quite have the same cultural impact, but then I twigged I was bound to get replies from folk who thought I was being serious! :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Paul Bearer said:

Kennedys assassination? 

7 hours ago, DaDeathGuy said:

Happened the day before you numbnuts.

Hence the question mark, numbernuts. 

• Like 1

Another one from Fesshole:

"At school we were asked to write down the name of someone we'd lost.  I hadn't lost anyone, so I put down Roz Forrester from the Doctor Who New Adventures - Adric would've been weird.   Later that day we had a Mass in our church, and the priest read out the whole list."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For anyone keeping an eye on Brian May. His wife (Anita Dobson) has just been cast in Doctor Who. So if she suddenly announces that she has to leave for a period of time etc then you know something is wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

For anyone keeping an eye on Brian May. His wife (Anita Dobson) has just been cast in Doctor Who. So if she suddenly announces that she has to leave for a period of time etc then you know something is wrong.

How ill do we think Brian May is? There seemed to be pictures of them out on the town on some of the celeb gossip sites earlier today.

• Like 1

Bonnie Langford is coming back for more than a 1 second appearance.

8 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Bonnie Langford is coming back for more than a 1 second appearance.

FFS.  She was the death knell years ago and they’re bringing her back? 

• Like 1

It seems Tom Baker isn't part of the 20th anniversary of The Five Doctors:

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Good news for all Doctor Who fans on here.

After selling the episodes to die hard fans in every possible format the BBC have now created a Doctor Who zone on iPlayer where all the remaining classic episodes will be available alongside the spin off shows, the new series and documentaries and other DW related information.

For those who are not fans you can watch the old episodes and play the Dead or Alive game with all those jobbing British bit part players

• Like 2

On 11/10/2023 at 09:13, Bibliogryphon said:

Good news for all Doctor Who fans on here.

After selling the episodes to die hard fans in every possible format the BBC have now created a Doctor Who zone on iPlayer where all the remaining classic episodes will be available alongside the spin off shows, the new series and documentaries and other DW related information.

For those who are not fans you can watch the old episodes and play the Dead or Alive game with all those jobbing British bit part players

Not all. 

• Sad 1

It's because the person who owns the rights doesn't like the fact BBC are only offering him 20k. He's been having arguments on Twitter for the last week with Whovians. I believe he is the son of someone who had a part in writing the episode - Stef Coburn.

Oh and he doesn't like the fact 15th Doctor is black. His Twitter is...an interesting read.

image.thumb.jpeg.16d6cf4a0c394c027eac6859b2c789ed.jpeg

• Shocked 2

£20k for a Doctor Who serial? If the BBC are uploading the surviving episodes, it will cost them a pretty penny.

The estate of Robert Holmes would be well in the money!

3 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

£20k for a Doctor Who serial? If the BBC are uploading the surviving episodes, it will cost them a pretty penny.

The estate of Robert Holmes would be well in the money!

I doubt that was an offer sent to all, Coburn is notoriously a twat about his father's minor contribution. 

Yeah, I did think £20k is a bit steep. I wonder what the going rate it is for such residuals? Particular in this age of streaming?

The BBC owns the rights for some of the classic episodes. I'd think that all the living classic writers would be workable and may even just let the BBC stream those episodes for free. The main problem areas will most likely come from episodes whose writers are now long dead and therefore the idea of distribution will never have been discussed with family/estate holders, but even then I doubt that William Emms' kids are fighting with the BBC for the rights to Galaxy 4. Stef Coburn is just an arse, look through his twitter and all you'll find are rants about the typical right-wing conspiracy rubbish so it's no wonder that he doesn't get on with the 'woke' BBC.

7 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

It's because the person who owns the rights doesn't like the fact BBC are only offering him 20k. He's been having arguments on Twitter for the last week with Whovians. I believe he is the son of someone who had a part in writing the episode - Stef Coburn.

Oh and he doesn't like the fact 15th Doctor is black. His Twitter is...an interesting read.

image.thumb.jpeg.16d6cf4a0c394c027eac6859b2c789ed.jpeg

I interpreted it as he didn't like the fact that Gatwa is gay/flamboyant rather than black, as he was complimentary (ish) about Jo Martin

Honestly, just get David Bradley and other similar looking people to re-create the episode(s) that are "missing" for 1st doctor.

• Like 1