Octopus of Odstock

Oldest Living football league players

Johnny Gibbons doing well. In one of the replies, it is also confirmed Les Dicker is still alive. 

Delighted to share a recent photo of 95-year old John Gibbons. John was a professional with Tottenham Hotspur between 1950 and 1953 and who we believe is the oldest surviving ex-Spur today. Good on yer John and COYS! https://t.co/Bk4IE7Pieo

• Like 2

I've redone the first post - largely because the formatting was horrendous (it's not great now, but it's better) but I thought It better to have the whole workings as well for research purposes. It's in order of birthdate and it's one list now.

15 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Report here of the death of Eddie McLaren.

images (1).jpg

• Haha 6

Just now, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

images (1).jpg

That's why I'm amazed CoffinLodger beat Thatcher to Alan Igbon"s death. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

In all the years I have been on here I have never seen anybody who is so prolific at being first in reporting deaths.

He is a bloody machine!!

Respect to him, a much valued contributor.

6 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Oh when I saw that Iain had posted actual new news first I needed a seat in shock!

2 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

In all the years I have been on here I have never seen anybody who is so prolific at being first in reporting deaths.

He is a bloody machine!!

Respect to him, a much valued contributor.

Much appreciated! Trust me if I were Tanya Roberts’ publicist there wouldn’t have been such a carry on B) 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Jesus has got Grindr on his home screen.

Well, so long as it's not pictures of Boy scouts.......

Very sad to hear this. Two of Reading's oldest players dead within a matter of days.

Not just that, but our two left-halves in 1954/55 were Docherty and Eddie McLaren!

Probate hasn't come back for Trevor Churchill yet, but I'm sure it's the same man as the footballer and I sincerely doubt Bill Parker is still alive.

So from 1924 and 1929, I think Reading's oldest player is now Dave Jones, who is 89 tomorrow (7th January). Bit of a leap.

• Like 1

Hi Bill Parker and his brother Sam are a mystery both played 300 league games but there is nothing on Wikipedia

I did try to contact a brother called Cyril without reply

It seems they disappeared after there careers ended

Tom Docherty died 28th December, just for those who keep records.

This report, although slightly biased, is claiming Bob Gray is the oldest living keeper in the football league - https://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-chronicle-9c96/20201207/282394107023959

Now, I am STILL waiting for the probate from Trevor Churchill and until GRO comes along or the probate, I can't confirm if it's our man. But if Gray is the oldest, then Syd Ward (1923) must be dead too. (probably is to be fair).

According to the Bradford City statistician .syd ward and David gray were both alive 10 years ago and I haven't found a death

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 18:48, Octopus of Odstock said:

Johnny Gibbons doing well. In one of the replies, it is also confirmed Les Dicker is still alive. 

Delighted to share a recent photo of 95-year old John Gibbons. John was a professional with Tottenham Hotspur between 1950 and 1953 and who we believe is the oldest surviving ex-Spur today. Good on yer John and COYS! https://t.co/Bk4IE7Pieo

Johnny, dear dear dead Johnny Gibbons: https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/johnny-gibbons-rip/

On 22/12/2020 at 18:48, Octopus of Odstock said:

John Gibbons not doing so well, dead aged 95, from Covid.

• Like 1