msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

I guess my fault for not keeping up with ever-changing QO rules.  I figured Kinsella hadn't a shot in hell.  And per 2019 she probably doesn't.  Ugh.

(EDIT) PLEASE tell the BBC Norfolk Samantha Jaelle obit didn't count.  FFS.  Norfolk.

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I guess my fault for not keeping up with ever-changing QO rules.  I figured Kinsella hadn't a shot in hell.  And per 2019 she probably doesn't.  Ugh.

2018... the BBC locals were already back in 2019.

• Confused 1

Looks like Kobe Bryant was selected in DDP 2008. I believe that qualifies him for a mention in List of the Missed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 22/01/2020 at 18:02, Eesti said:

Three weeks, three hits.

Four weeks, four hits. Crazy year for me. 

19 minutes ago, Eesti said:

A legitimate contender this year, imo.

• Thanks 1

It’s nice to see me back at the top of the scoreboard for the first time since 2018. Going to enjoy the view while it lasts...

3 hours ago, Eesti said:

2 people die every second. 4 hits in a month sounds kinda weak, in relative terms, although I would certainly take it. 

Well, John Andretti is the 3rd hit for my B Team.  Will my main team ever catch up?  Time will tell...

The one regret I have with this year's DDP is removing Andretti from last year's list.  Found out a couple of weeks ago he'd stopped tweeting/retweeting at the end of October and was someone who'd previously regularly been on Twitter.  I suspect the illness had become too much for him to care about social media.

2 hours ago, JiroemonKimura said:

Well, John Andretti is the 3rd hit for my B Team.  Will my main team ever catch up?  Time will tell...

Has he got  a Q/O yet. He might not.

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Has he got  a Q/O yet. He might not.

He has, and it was never in doubt in the first place. 

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

He has, and it was never in doubt in the first place. 

Where?

On 25/01/2020 at 12:32, gcreptile said:

All (?) theme teams now have (THEME) at the beginning of their name. Is this a good step? It changes the alphabetic order in the list of teams.

Also, I am completing the list of celebrity infos right now. Any requests for changes of the old ones? You know, stuff like, Donald Trump is now president and so on....

Since you ask, Manmohan Singh is no longer the PM of India.

On 29/01/2020 at 19:10, Eesti said:

And 25% of my list is dead within the first month of the year :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eesti said:

And 25% of my list is dead within the first month of the year :o

Incredible to think even a few years ago that someone could have over 50 points in 30 days and not be miles ahead of the rest of the pack. And it's not even low hanging dodgy picks either - the Sultan of Oman, an NFL Hall of Famer, Roger Scruton, John Andretti and esp Terry Jones are all proper celebs.

Just an incredible month of A+ deadpooling across the board, with the all time record for points scored in a single month beaten, I think.

• Like 2

On 26/01/2020 at 18:22, gcreptile said:

Well... maybe the new naming system has somewhat sensitivised people to the issue...?

I would agree, that an all male/female theme team sounds "off". I mean, it sort of looks like abusing the system to become 1st in at least something...

But I do wonder how to avoid this. I think the strongest argument is that abusing the theme team league in such a way makes it meaningless, and so, winning it just as well.

I do not like the "Theme Team" game.

For me it serves very little purpose, except for . . . . 

- Inflating the total number of teams 

- sneaking in obscure picks that you are debating whether or not they will get a QO, but by fitting them in to a theme team denies a possible Unique hit if someone else picks them

-  showing off that you know how to spell Tom Weiskopf :angel5:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, msc said:

Just an incredible month of A+ deadpooling across the board, with the all time record for points scored in a single month beaten, I think.

You will know this better than anyone. Did we ever have 4 Drop 40 hits in January before? If not, the above might be true, though in terms of sheer numbers of hits (and submitted teams) we've seen bigger Januaries.

28 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

You will know this better than anyone. Did we ever have 4 Drop 40 hits in January before? If not, the above might be true, though in terms of sheer numbers of hits (and submitted teams) we've seen bigger Januaries.

Quality over quantity. :P

But, no, never in January. This is the 4th time that four Drop 40 picks have died in the one month.

December 2006 - General Pinochet, Joseph Barbera, Gerald Ford, Saddam Hussein

July 2009 - Karl Malden, Henry Allingham, Harry Patch, Bobby Robson

March 2016 - Nancy Reagan, Martin Crowe, Joey Feek, Rob Ford

August 2017 - Glen Campbell, Bruce Forsyth, Jerry Lewis, Colin Meads

Actually, if this is going to be as big a year as 2016, my aim now is to keep my whole main team alive!

*prods Reaper firmly in the chest*

21 hours ago, msc said:

Incredible to think even a few years ago that someone could have over 50 points in 30 days and not be miles ahead of the rest of the pack. And it's not even low hanging dodgy picks either - the Sultan of Oman, an NFL Hall of Famer, Roger Scruton, John Andretti and esp Terry Jones are all proper celebs.

Almost akin to a super effective enema.....

• Shocked 1

I have updated the score for Mad Mike Hoare....only now the german language might cause problems, because the "Who's dead so far" page doesn't recognize the difference between January and february.

I'll fix it in the coming days...I hope. Maybe there'll be a couple day of relative silence.

And a public thanks to Reptile for fixing the bug on the Who's Dead So Far page.

Also the German months are gone - a nice quirk, but alas, it was buggering up the system.

Worth pointing out on forum that Joey and Chorizo have just broken the record for most points scored in a single DDP month.

• Like 4