Sean

By -Election Bingo 2019-2024

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

There has been nothing more painful to my ears than watching English news bods trying to pronounce Rutherglen. They seem to want to emphasise the -glen part, when it's the Ru- part.

I'm English and I've always thought of it (I don't think I've ever had cause to say it aloud) as RUTH-erglen.  I'm surprised anyone would read it as RutherGLEN.

Most people would have come across the name Rutherford but I've never heard anyone say RutherFORD.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm English and I've always thought of it (I don't think I've ever had cause to say it aloud) as RUTH-erglen.  I'm surprised anyone would read it as RutherGLEN.

Most people would have come across the name Rutherford but I've never heard anyone say RutherFORD.

It's always been RU-therglen, an odd way of eating your syllables, he he. Plenty of English friends all around Glasgow, and all of them are fine with the proper pronunciation. It's been odd hearing the contrived way on the tellybox.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

It's always been RU-therglen, an odd way of eating your syllables, he he. Plenty of English friends all around Glasgow, and all of them are fine with the proper pronunciation. It's been odd hearing the contrived way on the tellybox.

Do you mean like ROO or as in RUG?

1 minute ago, Toast said:

Do you mean like ROO or as in RUG?

Rug. or as in Ugh, another by-election!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see the parties are already out in force.

Thing is, I wasn't going out today, but I'm sorely tempted to give Yousaf and Jackie Baillie a right good piece of my mind. :bombguy::2guns::lol:

• Like 1

That enhanced package for MPs leaving the Commons (incl. by losing seats at a general election) struck me as a thinly veiled attempt to hang on to Tories and avoid the mad stampede that's likely tempting many on the back benches as they contemplate an electoral wipe out sometime before the end of 2024. If Pincher's seat goes (last election he had 66% of vote and his majority is almost 20,000) it'll be interesting to see if anyone else jumps on the back of feeling it's all over. Apart from owt else it's likely there'll be an over-supply of former Tory MPs hitting the jobs market sometime next year, maybe one or two will want to get their CVs out there ahead of the rest.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/25/financial-support-double-mps-lose-seats-uk-election

• Like 1

Pincher's pissing off, officially that is. 

Just what the Tories wanted, then - another by-election in a seat they stormed in December 2019, so's they can cruise back and show there's no crisis: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66739410

• Like 1

Overdue update will be coming.Moving house today and about to start a new job hence the delay.

Wonder if that means Eddie Hughes will resign too as he was going to fight Tamworth at the next election due to boundary changes.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Overdue update will be coming.Moving house today and about to start a new job hence the delay.

Wonder if that means Eddie Hughes will resign too as he was going to fight Tamworth at the next election due to boundary changes.

I think they will put in a sacrificial candidate (elderly tory from local council) who can either lose with honour or will give up the seat at the GE without any fuss.

Hughes will be put in a very awkward position if he stands though if the Tories lose he might want to try and find an even safer seat

Dunno where the current financial mess involving Andrew Bridgen (NW Leicestershire, sitting on a majority of 19,600) has got to. He lost a court case (which he bizarrely claimed to have won) and he was evicted from a property owned by his family and slapped with a demand to pay£800,000 over a year ago. Point being, it's widely believed paying the debt would bankrupt him and - legally speaking - bar him from being an MP. He's still serving last I heard. 

• Like 1

It's really odd seeing Ru'glen Main Street on the national news.

Especially as I live 2 minutes from it. Not one politician or canvasser seen. But plenty of bumf in the post.

Interesting times.

• Like 1

It's a late night watch on BBC Scotland for the Ru'glen/Hamilton West result.

Early predictions for Labour to win. I expect turnout to be very low though. It was absolutely tipping down with rain most of the day.

12 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

It's a late night watch on BBC Scotland for the Ru'glen/Hamilton West result.

Early predictions for Labour to win. I expect turnout to be very low though. It was absolutely tipping down with rain most of the day.

Who'd you vote for then?

The Scots Faimily Pairty? :D  Spoilt for choice with 14 options on the ballot paper!

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Who'd you vote for then?

The Scots Faimily Pairty? :D  Spoilt for choice with 14 options on the ballot paper!

Boris took my vote away.

First vote of any description I have missed since 18.

Might not have bothered anyway - rain, apathy and general fury at the whole Westminster system. :lol:

I understand the UK are watching the BBC coverage now.

Now, look at the state of these politicians we are suffocated by - every face a punchable one! :2guns::banghead:

• Like 1

Big take away from last night's trouncing of SNP being that if that swing were replicated nationally Labour would take about 40 Scottish seats and that'd be very helpful in winning nationally. Can't see a swing on that scale in a general election but something north of 20 Scottish seats would be very welcome. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-scotland-67009605

• Like 2

Bone's right of reply:

"Poor me" appears to be his defence.

Well, if there is a recall petition and by-election in Wellingborough, Bone currently has a majority of 18k. Bigger Tory majorities have been overturned this year though, and Wellingborough went from large Tory majority to Labour in 1997.

• Like 1

"Well, there was this one bit of tottie numerous years ago, and obviously when I could still get it up without medical assistance...Resisting my advances was wrong on their part. But I have learned from this and have only employed people who make the elephant man look pretty, and who will be easily bought for a few pounds to testify to my impeccable record as an employer and MP."

To paraphrase.

• Like 2