Sean

By -Election Bingo 2019-2024

Tories hold Uxbridge by 495 votes allowing them to talk about nothing else tomorrow.

Lib Dems turn 19,000 Tory majority into 11,000 Lib Dem majority in Somerset.

Selby trending Labour but no call as yet.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Selby trending Labour but no call as yet.

Pissed it

I literally have older socks than the winner - another Oxbridge automaton.

ULEZ was launched in 2013 by Boris Johnson and was pushed through by a Tory DfT. But Sadiq Khan is the evil ULEZ mastermind because…reasons.

God the electorate can be silly sausages, can’t they.

3 minutes ago, TQR said:

ULEZ was launched in 2013 by Boris Johnson and was pushed through by a Tory DfT. But Sadiq Khan is the evil ULEZ mastermind because…reasons.

It’s the expansion, Boris was cover enough to only do it in inner London where most of it is strong Labour voting areas and the other bit is strong Tory. 

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

It’s the expansion, Boris was cover enough to only do it in inner London where most of it is strong Labour voting areas and the other bit is strong Tory. 

Boris Johnson recently described ULEZ as bone-headed, bone-head.

52 minutes ago, TQR said:

And the expansion was expedited because the national govt made it a condition for a TfL bailout due to covid's financial impact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TQR said:

You don’t live in London, do you?

22 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You don’t live in London, do you?

I do as of September.

My point is, you can’t principally be anti-ULEZ expansion if you were all for the initial policy, unless a) you see policies only from a selfish perspective and you have a non-compliant car (and most cars are compliant) or b) you’re a Johnson cultist.

Just now, TQR said:

I do as of September.

My point is, you can’t principally be anti-ULEZ expansion if you were all for the initial policy, unless a) you see policies only from a selfish perspective and you have a non-compliant car, or b) you’re a Johnson cultist.

Initial ULEZ was focussed on inner central London, where air pollution and road congestion was a major problem. 

There is a world of difference between that and the ULEZ expansion, which covers most of Greater London into the leafy green suburbs that have zero need for it.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Initial ULEZ was focussed on inner central London, where air pollution and road congestion was a major problem. 

There is a world of difference between that and the ULEZ expansion, which covers most of Greater London into the leafy green suburbs that have zero need for it.

Like Dagenham, Romford etc?

Air pollution is a major problem in all major towns and cities. Something’s got to be done. I mean sure, there should be more grants to encourage people and businesses out of their smoky diesels, but principally it’s a necessary policy for most, not all, areas.

I was hoping to see this election hype guy back today:

33 minutes ago, TQR said:

Like Dagenham, Romford etc?

Air pollution is a major problem in all major towns and cities. Something’s got to be done. I mean sure, there should be more grants to encourage people and businesses out of their smoky diesels, but principally it’s a necessary policy for most, not all, areas.

Hmmmm, not really. 

Great watch from Adam Cherry if you've got a few mins.

Air pollution on the streets of London generally meets the safe level requirement. On the underground it's 10x over that level in some instances. ULEZ... the whole thing is a swindle tbh. If this was really about peoples' health, they'd be looking at why the underground is probably going to cause millions of early deaths. Confined spaces are the worst, open air suburban neighbourhoods... not so much.

41 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hmmmm, not really. 

Great watch from Adam Cherry if you've got a few mins.

Air pollution on the streets of London generally meets the safe level requirement. On the underground it's 10x over that level in some instances. ULEZ... the whole thing is a swindle tbh. If this was really about peoples' health, they'd be looking at why the underground is probably going to cause millions of early deaths. Confined spaces are the worst, open air suburban neighbourhoods... not so much.

The positive effects of ULEZ are undeniable: Nitrogen Dioxide levels have halved in central London since its introduction. Air pollution-related hospitalisations are down already, and on course to be down over 1m by 2050. That’s an economic benefit as well as a health one.

As for the £12.50 charge for non-compliance, it’s £60 in Scotland. It’s €68 in France. And over 90% of cars in Greater London are compliant anywhere.

Worth adding, too, that 58% of Londoners support ULEZ and 26% oppose, according to Redfield & Wilton recently.

Agree that something seriously needs doing with underground air quality.

So, I sat up until 04:30 watching the fun.

By the time I went to bed, I was humming the old tune:

"Something familiar, something peculiar, something for everyone, a comedy tonight!"

My takeaways? Well, I don't really know.

Somerton was always going back to the LibDems - my goodness, she was precisely what those who normally vote Tory love, from local stock, family in the area for over 200 years, I knew her granny - lovely woman, that kind of shit. Abandon your farmers and shit up your waterways and you will get exactly that result there.

Selby wasn't even close in the end. Seems to be some kind of condemnation that the Labour winner is an Oxford boy with little life experience - that came from the Tories, the Eton boys and Roedean girls who got their money from Grandpapa and Grandmama. Ah, well do I recall Mhairi Black getting elected - underestimate youth at your peril. Again, that area isn't going to vote in a Dennis Skinner/John Prescott/Angela Rayner type. Labour have played a blinder by giving a candidate the normal Tory voters can recognise.

Uxbridge - despite all the hype, I had a feeling this would stay blue. I don't know the area but nothing will trump the true blue voters with three cars in the driveway ("one of them is a classic y'know old boy") who spend all their spare cash on Glasto, Wimbledon, Henley Regatta, blah blah blah. Now you don't bring in a policy which hits them on top of all the other shite going on without having the necessary infrastructure in place - are the charging points there, for example? That doesn't mean this isn't now in play - still a swing to the red flag which shows the punters there this is a marginal. And if they think a Labour Government is a reality next time, they might decide to have a candidate who is on the inside.

No news on the Ferrier saga? I should know, really, I'm there.

43 minutes ago, TQR said:

The positive effects of ULEZ are undeniable: Nitrogen Dioxide levels have halved in central London since its introduction. Air pollution-related hospitalisations are down already, and on course to be down over 1m by 2050. That’s an economic benefit as well as a health one.

As for the £12.50 charge for non-compliance, it’s £60 in Scotland. It’s €68 in France. And over 90% of cars in Greater London are compliant anywhere.

Worth adding, too, that 58% of Londoners support ULEZ and 26% oppose, according to Redfield & Wilton recently.

Agree that something seriously needs doing with underground air quality.

Wondering where you saw this, given that it's something that is not officially recorded (and is almost impossible to determine – the case of the young girl dying from air pollution took years and a lot of research, second opinions etc. to determine cause).

£12.50 is the DAILY charge for everyone (or £3250 if you are unlucky enough to use a car or van on all 260 working days of the year). The fine for not having a direct debit set up with TfL so this can be charged as and when is like £60/£80. This fucks a lot of ppl coming in from outside of London, or ppl visiting from abroad etc. who are unaware.

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Uxbridge - despite all the hype, I had a feeling this would stay blue. I don't know the area but nothing will trump the true blue voters with three cars in the driveway ("one of them is a classic y'know old boy") who spend all their spare cash on Glasto, Wimbledon, Henley Regatta, blah blah blah. Now you don't bring in a policy which hits them on top of all the other shite going on without having the necessary infrastructure in place - are the charging points there, for example? That doesn't mean this isn't now in play - still a swing to the red flag which shows the punters there this is a marginal. And if they think a Labour Government is a reality next time, they might decide to have a candidate who is on the inside.

Clearly you don't. Uxbridge is a shithole. I can guarantee you its inhabitants do not spend weekends at Henley. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Clearly you don't. Uxbridge is a shithole. I can guarantee you its inhabitants do not spend weekends at Henley. :lol:

Well, perhaps looking at its recent Parliamentarians including the latest inductee, that explains a lot! :lol:

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Wondering where you saw this, given that it's something that is not officially recorded (and is almost impossible to determine – the case of the young girl dying from air pollution took years and a lot of research, second opinions etc. to determine cause).

£12.50 is the DAILY charge for everyone (or £3250 if you are unlucky enough to use a car or van on all 260 working days of the year). The fine for not having a direct debit set up with TfL so this can be charged as and when is like £60/£80. This fucks a lot of ppl coming in from outside of London, or ppl visiting from abroad etc. who are unaware.

Pollution-related admissions include admissions for asthma and lung-related illnesses (which have been going through the roof until the benefits of ULEZ on air quality were seen). Not all of these admissions are pollution-related of course but over 1700 hospital admissions in London in a 2 year period from 2017-19 were as a result of a condition being exacerbated by traffic fumes, as per Imperial College London studies. There’s a direct correlation between respiratory hospital admissions and NOx levels in the area.

I know it’s a daily charge. It’s still less than a lot of European LEZs. The one in Scotland, for example, is £60, then doubled for each subsequent breach.

I could also say about £12.50 a day being fuck all compared to what Trussonomics and the effects of 13 years of economic recklessness have done to our pockets, but that’s a different conversation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

So, I sat up until 04:30 watching the fun

Selby wasn't even close in the end. Seems to be some kind of condemnation that the Labour winner is an Oxford boy with little life experience - that came from the Tories, the Eton boys and Roedean girls who got their money from Grandpapa and Grandmama. Ah, well do I recall Mhairi Black getting elected - underestimate youth at your peril. Again, that area isn't going to vote in a Dennis Skinner/John Prescott/Angela Rayner type. Labour have played a blinder by giving a candidate the normal Tory voters can recognise.

No news on the Ferrier saga? I should know, really, I'm there.

Re Kier the Younger, local family heavily embedded in the community, lots of voters who'd known him since he was a baby, and they worked their arses off campaigning. Great swing for Labour of course, but campaign effort and candidate quality (even if not clear to outsiders) is absolutely key.

Heard nowt on Ferrier but all the parties are picking folk already! 

If Tamworth becomes a by-election that poses a problem for the Tories. They've already picked their candidate for next election, the Walsall Tory MP Eddie Hughes!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Re Kier the Younger, local family heavily embedded in the community, lots of voters who'd known him since he was a baby, and they worked their arses off campaigning. Great swing for Labour of course, but campaign effort and candidate quality (even if not clear to outsiders) is absolutely key.

Heard nowt on Ferrier but all the parties are picking folk already! 

If Tamworth becomes a by-election that poses a problem for the Tories. They've already picked their candidate for next election, the Walsall Tory MP Eddie Hughes!

I’ve been told local association has briefed members that should they hold it in the by-election the MP will need to understand that they’re only holding it for a year until Eddie takes over.

Glad Thursday's results have given us some clarity on the political sitution!

_130486814_i-newspaper_page1_30074967-nc

_130486728_dailyexpress-nc.png.webp

• Like 1

The recall petition for Margaret Ferrier has closed and the results are due Tuesday afternoon. If at least 10% of constituents signed it there will be a by-election.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Brad252 said:

The recall petition for Margaret Ferrier has closed and the results are due Tuesday afternoon. If at least 10% of constituents signed it there will be a by-election.

There has been nothing more painful to my ears than watching English news bods trying to pronounce Rutherglen. They seem to want to emphasise the -glen part, when it's the Ru- part.

Anyhow, I'm in Ru'glen awaiting the news. Anyone in the know how this works when Parliament is in recess? Announcement, moving the writ, etc etc?

Confirmed that Margaret Covid has lost her seat. Nearly 15% of her constituents voted to sack her.

Good riddance.

14% though, seems folk weren't awfully bothered, just bothered enough. 

We've already had literature from Labour and the LibDems some time ago in anticipation. Folk round here don't like that - looks like they were jumping the gun. Nonetheless, I think there will be a low turnout if and when.

• Like 1