Sign in to follow this  
Kenny McCormick

Dead Relatives - old photos from the 20th century and before

On 12/05/2020 at 13:02, the_engineer said:

I'm related to this guy we share a common ancestor. Not a direct descendant but there's some cousin connection with the isle of man. I know my grandmothers mother's family were from the isle of man .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Taubman_Goldie

Screenshot_20200512-130239~2.jpg

I have probably  taught distant relatives of yours, there were a couple of Goldies  at the school I taught at. 

This is my only relative of note, again not a direct decedent, think his grandfather and my great great-grandfather  were brothers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Plant

45 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

I have probably  taught distant relatives of yours, there were a couple of Goldies  at the school I taught at. 

This is my only relative of note, again not a direct decedent, think his grandfather and my great great-grandfather  were brothers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Plant

Wow awesome. I think it was my ancestor and his ancestor were sisters . I'd love to know more about each branch of my family tree. But once you hit mid 1800s it becomes very hard.

My father Richard and his elder brother John taken 1928.

1885305902_JohnRichard1928.jpg.96f7d913c2c597b3f836062480223bb1.jpg

• Like 4

Before you ask, no this is not a dirty piece of card.

This is a picture of my great x3 grandfather. This was taken in the 1890s (not sure which year exactly). I don't know a lot about him but he was said to have been a poultry merchant. He was my mum's dad's dad's mum's dad. (The picture of my great x4 grandmother that I posted earlier was his mother).

As you can tell I was not the first person to handle this photograph, my great grandfather was really careless with everything he owned.

Harry Frank Summers (Faded).JPG

• Like 3

Just thought I'd mention this is a fascinating thread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm related to this chap. He was my Grandads cousin. George's Dad Zach was the younger brother of my great Grandad John. John also named his oldest son Zac my Grandad older brother after him so Zac name runs in my family.

My Grandad was born in 1903 and died in 1982 from Parkinsons disease, but my Nan always made mention that my Grandad and George whilst knowing each other weren't overly close but fond of each other. Great Uncle Ben my Grandads younger brother was slightly more dismissive of George hinting to me that he was a bit of "wrong un" and very "camp". Of course History has born out that South Wales Police looked into historical evidence of abuse but Great Uncle Ben did say to me with knowing wink that I wasnt the 1st gay man in family history. 

Screenshot_20200519-055538_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 4

This chap is Matthew Thomas Wood, with his wife and children.   He is a distant relative of mine (first cousin three times removed). 

Poor Matthew met a gruesome end, blown to bits in 1915 when HMS Princess Irene exploded in Sheerness harbour.

But what a fine moustache he had!

2037300080_MatthewThomasWoodfamily.thumb.jpg.1a33cd3771e61a4e97f0506c54968c21.jpg

Name:     Matthew Thomas Wood
Birth Date:     9 Jan 1870
Birth Place:     Sheerness
Branch of Service:     Civilian
Cause of Death:     Killed or died by means other than disease, accident or enemy action
Official Number Port Division:     (Ch)
Death Date:     27 May 1915
Ship or Unit:     HMS Princess Irene
Location of Grave:     Not recorded
Name and Address of Cemetery:     Body Not Recovered For Burial
Relatives Notified and Address:     Mrs SAR Wood, 81, Alma Street, Sheerness

Royal Navy and Royal Marine War Graves Roll, 1914-1919

I am related to Matthew through my paternal grandfather's line, but I never knew my grandfather and never met anyone from his family.  I was sent some photos of Matthew by another family researcher.  There is another one with a group of men, probably work colleagues, but I don't know their names.  Matthew is back right.

1795357964_MatthewThomasWoodbackrt.thumb.jpg.5b7361d36c639167835c415645f09bd3.jpg

• Like 4

Thought I'd add to this one just for posterity.  My dad (on the right 1921-2003) with his pal (no idea who he is). I'm guessing he'd have been about 12, so this photo would have been taken about 1933. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

This is one of my dad Richard and his mother Kate taken at Broughty Ferry in 1928

515423263_Kate(Anderson)ColeRichardBroughtyFerry1925.jpg.bd2b001f4905b0a9dddf5b75dcc86baf.jpg

• Like 2

On the topic of having family lost in war, this is my great x2 grandfather (my dad's, dad's, dad's dad). He was shot down by a German machine gun within his first few weeks of being a soldier in WWI and he was buried in a mass grave in Flanders, France. This photo was taken just before he was taken to France.

John Mannion

B. 1882

D. 1914

John Mannion (1914) - Great Great Grandad.jpg

• Like 1

24th June 1939 my grandparents got married. Apparently my grandmother made this dress.

image.thumb.png.9391c47483f71d4807fe886cb65ef2b9.png

• Like 6

The Welsh side of my family. Left to right: My great grandmother (my mum's mum's mum), My great x2 grandmother and my great x2 uncle Bill.

They were from Llanbradach, a small mining town near Pontypridd about 30 mins drive from Cardiff. My great x2 grandparents had a total of 16 children (11 of which lived to see adulthood). My great x2 grandfather worked in the mines and his wife owned a sweet shop.

Louisa Turner, her brother and Mary Ann Bwye.jpg

• Like 3

My dad at his first communion. He was Catholic, I am not. We didn't actually know this picture existed until last year as he was always very secretive about his childhood.

WIN_20190627_19_51_50_Pro (2).jpg

• Like 3