On this Burns night, we should wish a Happy 88th Birthday to Sir Boyd Tunnock, grandson of Thomas, and current owner of the family company that bears their name.

See the source imageSee the source image

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, time said:

On this Burns night, we should wish a Happy 88th Birthday to Sir Boyd Tunnock, grandson of Thomas, and current owner of the family company that bears their name.

See the source imageSee the source image

Careful now. The nationalists think he is a traitor too.

If I recall, they boycotted him for a while. Thankfully the fat fucks gave in when they realised they couldn't choose between independence and a snowball biscuit...

• Haha 1

Lucinda Williams is 68

I know this song from the Johnny Walker drive Time show when he played it just about every day on my journey home from work.

Tony Blackburn is 78, living proof that you are what you eat, he has been a vegetarian since he was 4 years old.

31 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

Tony Blackburn is 78, living proof that you are what you eat, he has been a vegetarian since he was 4 years old.

John Peel. Omnivore (probably). Proof that the good (as opposed to banal and slightly creepy), die young. 

• Like 2

Songwriter Leslie Bricusse, Stop The World. Roar of the Greasepaint, Doctor Doolittle etc., is 90 today. He's particularly associated with Anthony Newley, but also wrote film music for many films, from James Bond to Harry Potter.

• Like 1

John Lydon of the butter adverts fame is 65

His wife Nora Foster may be a good bet as her Alzheimer's has got a lot worse in the last couple of years and Lydon is her full-time carer now.

• Haha 1

Harald Brattbakk, Norwegian pilot, is 50 today

Harald Brattbakk biography, birth date, birth place and ...

On 29/01/2021 at 12:26, En Passant said:

John Peel. Omnivore (probably). Proof that the good (as opposed to banal and slightly creepy), die young

The good at getting a 15yo pregnant or the good at having sex with 13yos whilst in his mid-20s?

His first wife was also 15 when he married her.

I know for people of my generation as teenagers in the late 70s he was the arbiter of what was cool musically and he was indeed considerably less banal than the mainstream daytime DJs who played  a lot of naff music (much of which they had to as it was in the charts), but he was no saint.

6 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

he was no saint.

Well bugger me mate, I never knew all that :o. Learn something every day and sometimes something you wish you hadn't.

The original was just a throwaway really, Blackburn used to bore me when stuck somewhere in the car, which was often, as this was in North London, and he oozed a bit whenever it was a female call-in, or did to my mind.

Damn. But thanks.

1 minute ago, En Passant said:

Well bugger me mate, I never knew all that :o. Learn something every day and sometimes something you wish you hadn't.

The original was just a throwaway really, Blackburn used to bore me when stuck somewhere in the car, which was often, as this was in North London, and he oozed a bit whenever it was a female call-in, or did to my mind.

Damn. But thanks.

He also didn't like the music of Peter Sarstedt, showing no compassion for future DLers who'd only have heard of Zizi Jeanmaire thanks to it. :D

No, wait, he was right there. As you were...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

The good at getting a 15yo pregnant or the good at having sex with 13yos whilst in his mid-20s?

His first wife was also 15 when he married her.

I know for people of my generation as teenagers in the late 70s he was the arbiter of what was cool musically and he was indeed considerably less banal than the mainstream daytime DJs who played  a lot of naff music (much of which they had to as it was in the charts), but he was no saint.

Half my class at school were shagging like rabbits at 15 with older boyfriends.  May be technically illegal, but it's nature.

On the general note, Mike Campbell of The Heartbreakers is 71 today!

1280px-FlMacWerchter080619_81_(49920800641).jpg

Bill Mummy is 67, he went from Lost In Space to Babylon 5 and back again to Lost In Space in a period of 54 years

Bill Mumy by Gage Skidmore.jpg

• Like 1

Don Everly is 85, I thought he may have had a thread of his own but......

Ken Bruce is 70 today :birthday:

4ACDD20E-A52D-4259-9651-EABA6870DD61.thumb.jpeg.76de0283baaa06e7e84871535ab6c7c9.jpeg

• Like 2

Than Shwe, former Head of State of Myanmar is 88 today.

Than Shwe 2010-10-11.jpg

Tom Smothers is 84, famous for (among other things) being in bed with John Lennon in 1969, he also played on and got a mention in the lyrics of Give Peace A Chance.

• Like 1

Melanie Safka is 74 and gives me an opportunity to post this and remember Pans People doing their thing to it on TOTP:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

Melanie Safka is 74 and gives me an opportunity to post this and remember Pans People doing their thing to it on TOTP:

Wot, no 'oo ar oo ar' at the end of every line in the verse?

Quite cute in her youth wasn't she?

Bought a best of compilation of hers a couple of years ago and most of it is pretty poor, only a couple of tracks worth listening to beyond the three hits.

She's on my 40/40 team, one of the many on it I confidently expect to outlive me.

• Like 1

Vincent Damon Furnier is 73

Cooper in 2017

I believe that in 2018 he predicted that the next U.S. President would be "worse" than current incumbent Donald Trump.

Happy birthday to @Great Uncle Bulgaria and the rest of The Wombles, who debuted on TV 48 years ago today.

I can't say I remember the exact debut, but I do remember it from first time around (I even have a Wombles badge). God I'm old.

• Like 5