Octopus of Odstock

Dementia afflicted footballers

3 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

No, gone through them all, so I can only presume he never played a league game for them. Considering there's no photo of him in a Shrewsbury kit, I think he must've been a reserve.

Excellent spot though 

• Like 1

Comprehensive list of Brazilian players who suffered from dementia dated 2016. I think only 2 players on the list are still alive: João "Zico" Dias, and Nair Jose da Silva. No wiki page for Zico but has a Zerozero profile. Nair Jose strangely only has Polish wiki page despite never playing in Europe.

• Thanks 1

According to a post from Startiger, today Karl Ringel, one of the three last living players to have played for the Saarland national team and the only one among the three to play for West Germany afterwards, has dementia.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, whoismakoto said:

Karl Ringel, one of the three last living players to have played for the Saarland national team

Who are the 2 others one living ?

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Article here about a "memory club" for ex-Rotherham players with dementia. Lists Dave Watson and Trevor Womble from the OP but nobody new, although it says that similar schemes have been or are being launched at QPR, Chesterfield, Sheffield United and Nottingham Forest, so could be a chance to grab names there.

Did he play for Wimbledon too?  B)

2 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

Too young to be listed for @Octopus of Odstock:

Bruce Murray (Wiki) member of the 1990 USA World Cup squad, has mild dementia as of age 57.

Nobody's too young. Sorry to hear this. I note in his Wiki profile that he suffered a number of head injuries in his career which improbably included Stockport County and Ayr United.

Concussion syndrome forced him to retire in 1995....

2 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

Too young to be listed for @Octopus of Odstock:

Bruce Murray (Wiki) member of the 1990 USA World Cup squad, has mild dementia as of age 57.

Seems like his dementia is very advanced if he remembers the US giving Italy a "mighty scare" at the 1990 WC, being as Giuseppe Giannini scored within the first 15 minutes and the rest of the match saw the Azzurri miss the barn door with endless shots (including a missed penalty) against what was effectively an amateur team.

43 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Nobody's too young. Sorry to hear this. I note in his Wiki profile that he suffered a number of head injuries in his career which improbably included Stockport County and Ayr United.

Concussion syndrome forced him to retire in 1995....

I thought the players are listed for 60 years old above. I think I remember there was a player who was already diagnosed with early onset dementia in his 40s. I also found one player who does not have a wiki but has a transfermarket profile and is a former U19 Dutch player. He is only 58 years old. I can't find the article or the player's name now.

6 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

I thought the players are listed for 60 years old above. I think I remember there was a player who was already diagnosed with early onset dementia in his 40s. I also found one player who does not have a wiki but has a transfermarket profile and is a former U19 Dutch player. He is only 58 years old. I can't find the article or the player's name now.

No, any footballer with dementia can go on the list, regardless of age. Obviously there aren't many under 60, thankfully.

7 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

I also found one player who does not have a wiki but has a transfermarket profile and is a former U19 Dutch player. He is only 58 years old. I can't find the article or the player's name now.

I think you're talking about Jan Jaap Kooistra (transfermarkt)  , who got diagnosed with FTD in 2019.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reading Gabby Logan’s book I’m not sure her dad Terry Yorath had been diagnosed with dementia by the time she wrote it last year. I don’t think she would talk about a cancelled visit in 2021 the way she did if she knows he has dementia. She says he has diabetes and that has slowed down his alcoholism. 

• Like 1

Bill Gates, Middlesbrough, has died aged 79.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, time said:

Bill Gates, Middlesbrough, has died aged 79.

A DDP pick, straight to QO.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

A DDP pick, straight to QO.

Didn't even need a delay, or a qualifying Window(s)...

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 8:49 AM, RIP Wee Jum said:

Gordon Wallace died aged 74, played for Raith Rovers, Dundee United, Berwick Rangers and Cowdenbeath

https://www.raithrovers.net/65263/a-tribute-to-gordon-wallace.htm

Unknown.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1