Octopus of Odstock

Dementia afflicted footballers

31 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere but reading a column in Backpass football magazine and the author was talking about meeting Ex-Spurs and Wales legend Cliff Jones recently and mentioned that he's in the early stages of dementia

Early stages though.

You can forget that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Don't know if it was mentioned elsewhere but reading a column in Backpass football magazine and the author was talking about meeting Ex-Spurs and Wales legend Cliff Jones recently and mentioned that he's in the early stages of dementia

That is fucking sad. The man is a club legend and much loved.

Lady FN and myself used to see him walking up to the entrance to the ground (old stadium), probably got the bus there on matchdays.

He was always happy to stop and chat and seemed a tad bemused that people thought the world of him.:(

• Like 3

Early stages and 87 means he could well die of something else before dementia takes him. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

That is fucking sad. The man is a club legend and much loved.

Lady FN and myself used to see him walking up to the entrance to the ground (old stadium), probably got the bus there on matchdays.

He was always happy to stop and chat and seemed a tad bemused that people thought the world of him.:(

He's not just a club legend, he's a national legend.

He was - until this - in exceptionally good health. So much so, I felt he would easily be the last survivor of the 1958 World Cup.

Teddy Medwin is that little bit older and frailer, albeit in great shape for 90.

Maybe he (Jones) still will be the last survivor, but it's a real shame he won't have full mental faculties.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

He's not just a club legend, he's a national legend.

He was - until this - in exceptionally good health. So much so, I felt he would easily be the last survivor of the 1958 World Cup.

Teddy Medwin is that little bit older and frailer, albeit in great shape for 90.

Maybe he (Jones) still will be the last survivor, but it's a real shame he won't have full mental faculties.

Yes, he is deeply proud to have represented his country!

A much loved, old school, kind of guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Are Trevor Edwards (Wiki) and George Baker (Wiki) still alive?

• Like 1

He was the coach of my team here in Brazil, Corinthians, it was not a very good passage, but I am saddened by the information

On 26/10/2021 at 18:56, YoungWillz said:

Kinda had a feeling that Jimmy Millar's death was a hoax, and so it has turned out to be.

Someone coat-tailing as suspected.

Probably another hoax, I mean, nearly a year since the last one, so here we go again with Jimmy Millar: 

I'm sure if it's true we'll hear about it. :lol:

• Like 1

I might be wrong but I have a bad feeling the current generation of footballers could end up with prominent cases seen in rugby of very early onset dementia.

We'll never notice after this imminent nuclear war.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ITV have just had clips of Cliff Jones and Terry Medwin and I will say Medwin looks like he could also have dementia sadly.  

51 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

ITV have just had clips of Cliff Jones and Terry Medwin and I will say Medwin looks like he could also have dementia sadly.  

There's this interview with him in yesterday's Observer, where it isn't mentioned but most of the answers and reminiscences are from Terry's wife.

Do people here think a heeding ban in professional footballer will ever come in? 

13 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Do people here think a heeding ban in professional footballer will ever come in? 

I don't think they'll pay it any attention at all even if it does.

• Like 1

Also through why is it most dementia football related stories are English. Surely the risk will be pretty much the same across most major leagues. Do French or German or Spanish people not notice the risks.

Also I am going to predict that by 2060 Harry Maguire has dementia. 

2 minutes ago, En Passant said:

I don't think they'll pay it any attention at all even if it does.

If it’s in the IFAB rules then it would surely be. 

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

Also through why is it most dementia football related stories are English. Surely the risk will be pretty much the same across most major leagues. Do French or German or Spanish people not notice the risks.

We don't know if the FAs or the media outside the UK have conducted research or reported on how many and who have dementia as much as in the UK. Even possible that family members tend to keep it privately. For example with the case of François Remetter who was never mentioned in the news and obituary to be suffering from Alzheimer's disease until I tried to contact and his son told me about it.

There's a possibility that heading wasn't very much used tactically by these players during the 50s and 60s compared to the British players.

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

If it’s in the IFAB rules then it would surely be. 

Some days, I don't know why I bother.

• Like 2

On 18/01/2021 at 11:03, Spade_Cooley said:

A new one for the list: former Northampton Town defender Tony Claypole, who made 125+ appearances for the Cobblers between 1957 and 1962. Family members are asking for any memorabilia that can help him remember his playing days as he has dementia and Alzheimer's.

Tony Claypole died in November, so far without QO:

https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/2022/november/tony_claypole/

I think he's been unpicked mostly, he was The Love Boat's first sub. I had him in the Death By Numbers though.

A possible year-end obiter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1