Dying Probably

The Dead of 2021

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Looks like she picked up a case of Corona on her way to the mortuary, according to her own Twitter feed.

iirc there was a poll on here last year about how many DDP hits would be covid related. I wonder if those who asked that are still keeping count, as we've had a quite a few of them this year too, alas. Sonny Chiba, Colin Powell and Glitz himself to name three...

• Like 1

Mark Roth, a noted American bowling champion of the 1970s and 80s with 34 titles to his credit, who appeared regularly on the ABC (American network) show Wide World of Sports, has died. He was 70. Roth had a stroke in 2009 and a heart attack in 2019.

https://www.silive.com/sports/2021/11/moment-of-silence-staten-island-bowling-great-mark-roth-has-died.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Mark Roth, a noted American bowling champion of the 1970s and 80s with 34 titles to his credit, who appeared regularly on the ABC (American network) show Wide World of Sports, has died. He was 70. Roth had a stroke in 2009 and a heart attack in 2019.

https://www.silive.com/sports/2021/11/moment-of-silence-staten-island-bowling-great-mark-roth-has-died.html

He was the best.  I sat next to him at a diner and he was kind enough to put up w a 16-year old Master Creep asking for his autograph/photo op.  Childhood memory lost to the ages now.

He famously made the 7-10 split on the TV lanes, a shot that became part of the opening montage for the bowling events.

SC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

He was the best.  I sat next to him at a diner and he was kind enough to put up w a 16-year old Master Creep asking for his autograph/photo op.  Childhood memory lost to the ages now.

He famously made the 7-10 split on the TV lanes, a shot that became part of the opening montage for the bowling events.

SC

sounds like you tried to strike up a conversation with him and he had the time to spare

rip

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wildstorm said:

sounds like you tried to strike up a conversation with him and he had the time to spare

rip

:clap:

Phil Saviano, whistleblower/survivor of Catholic clergy sex abuse, dead at 69 from gallbladder cancer. Portrayed in 2015 best picture winning film Spotlight.

He entered hospice care in late October and this was apparently announced on his Facebook page.

• Like 3

Siobhan Cattigan (only 26), Scottish international rugby player - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59484992. No cause given.

"Cattigan won 19 caps between 2018 and 2021, having made her debut against Wales during the 2018 Six Nations.

She started all three matches in the 2021 competition, with her most recent appearance coming in the World Cup qualifier against Spain in September."

RIP :(

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Kenny said:

Siobhan Cattigan (only 26), Scottish international rugby player - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59484992. No cause given.

"Cattigan won 19 caps between 2018 and 2021, having made her debut against Wales during the 2018 Six Nations.

She started all three matches in the 2021 competition, with her most recent appearance coming in the World Cup qualifier against Spain in September."

RIP :(

Died on Friday but only announced this evening. 
RIP.

• Like 1

Latvian women's football team died tonight. We beat them 20-0.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anthony Sher death announced by the RSC

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, time said:

Can't move round mine for Deathrace subs sprinting from the various benches, on it!

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, time said:

The curse of MacDeath?

RIP

Fascinating.

Bill Abernethy, Britain's last professional pearl fisherman, dies at 96: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/obituaries/2769999/perthshires-bill-abernethy-who-found-scotlands-largest-freshwater-pearl-dies-aged-96/ and gets a Times Obit too: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bill-abernethy-obituary-06j0p29cr

Pearls found by him were incorporated into jewellery worn by the Royal Family. The Abernethy Pearl is named after him and was the subject of a disputed ownership some years back.

Freshwater pearl fishing in Britain was outlawed in 1998. Hardly a glamorous occupation, here's some footage from 1961 showing Bill at work:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 25/11/2021 at 23:20, YoungWillz said:

Carol Gould is now being reported has having died: 

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680503/

I believe she's a DDP pick for this year. http://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_G.html#gould9c020

Gets a Times death notice, which should pave way for an obit, either in The Times or in Guardian Other Lives maybe?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Gets a Times death notice, which should pave way for an obit, either in The Times or in Guardian Other Lives maybe?

I agree she is likely to Obit but can she get it before the deadline?

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Death notice is just a listing of her death with no other text, right? I take it that alone doesn't count as a QO?

Honestly, it is interesting how a big broadcaster like BBC, who can practically hire any expert guests they want, found Carol qualified enough to appear as an U.S. political commentator (i.e. BBC Radio 4) for over 15 years. Yet not interesting enough to mention her death (caused by the most talked-about diseases in the past 2 years!), even in passing. Not only that, they also hired her, a BAFTA member, as an Oscars commentator. Politics and films are competitive and oversaturated fields, you're not going to get a foot in and be heard by millions of viewers if you're a complete nobody. I'd understand if it was an entomologist talking about the filbert weevil for 30 minutes on a 3:AM radio show that only bored truck drivers tune in to during their night shifts.

Or why not ITV News, as she had a stint at Anglia Television in the 1980s? Apparently, she was the one who pushed for those P.D. James novels to be televised. She also commissioned the last three seasons of Tales of the Unexpected.

On 04/12/2021 at 13:15, Predictor said:

Death notice is just a listing of her death with no other text, right? I take it that alone doesn't count as a QO?

Honestly, it is interesting how a big broadcaster like BBC, who can practically hire any expert guests they want, found Carol qualified enough to appear as an U.S. political commentator (i.e. BBC Radio 4) for over 15 years. Yet not interesting enough to mention her death (caused by the most talked-about diseases in the past 2 years!), even in passing. Not only that, they also hired her, a BAFTA member, as an Oscars commentator. Politics and films are competitive and oversaturated fields, you're not going to get a foot in and be heard by millions of viewers if you're a complete nobody. I'd understand if it was an entomologist talking about the filbert weevil for 30 minutes on a 3:AM radio show that only bored truck drivers tune in to during their night shifts.

Or why not ITV News, as she had a stint at Anglia Television in the 1980s? Apparently, she was the one who pushed for those P.D. James novels to be televised. She also commissioned the last three seasons of Tales of the Unexpected.

BBC news rarely cover on their websites deaths that haven’t gots lots of coverage elsewhere anymore. Ditto ITV News. 

• Sad 1

Buddy Merill has died at the age of 85

Buddy_Merrill_1956.jpg

• Sad 2

Death Notice for Ewen Brodie of Lethen, former Lord-Lieutenant of Nairnshirehttp://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/deaths/253937/brodie-of-lethen

Interesting story he related to the Inverness Courier earlier this year about his involvement with the Duke of Edinburgh: https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/news/elephant-mystery-was-solved-for-duke-234963/

• Like 3

Mike Nesmith, 78, of The Monkees has fallen out of his tree.

@christhebarker's 2021 "Sgt. Pepper" cover - see how many you can identify! (there's a key in the following tweet if you get stuck).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, time said:

@christhebarker's 2021 "Sgt. Pepper" cover - see how many you can identify! (there's a key in the following tweet if you get stuck).

Steve made it on. I've gone all weepy again, ffs.