Francoise Hardy

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Frank Gehry

Just Fontaine

Milan Kunedra

Francoise Hardy

They might pick Gehry - but they didn't pick IM Pei. Fontaine is very famous but not the sort of name they go for (football, Biblio, football). Kundera, well, we struggle to get far more famous writers on the list! 

(I assumed you'd note Vitti and Solow, neither of whom seem like DL picks in the slightest.)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, arghton said:

Zemin, Chomsky, Nichols and F.W. de Klerk are definitely famous enough for the list and especially Zemin and Nichols are very frail. Pele and Alagiah feel like names that will almost certainly be on the list next year unless they die before 2022

Napolitano is also quite deathlisty IMO, longest-serving President of Italy (2006-2015, over 8 years), only President of Italy to be reelected and a political kingmaker. And he's 96.

Tutu looked frail during his 90th birthday party.

Pelé: 100% guaranteed to go on DL. Colon cancer, self-declaredly dying, the best footballer ever. 

George Alagiah: I would not like this pick. He may be ill, but his fame outside UK is nil and he's not a household name even in the UK.

FW De Klerk: meshothelioma, Nobel Prize, last SA apartheid president. A lock, 100% guaranteed.

Nichelle Nichols: Definitely meets fame criteria (first TV interracial kiss and so on) and is frail, but dementia sufferers could linger for years. Think it is too early.

Noam Chomsky: household name who is generically old and frail. Might give him a try.

Jiang Zemin: in a relatively short time there will be a flurry of deaths from the 20s generation of Chinese politics, as most names have been frail for years and only alive thanks to advanced medical care. In particular Jiang's (and Zhu Rongji's) death has been expected for years. Definitely meets fame criteria and it would be nice to score with another paramount leader after Deng Xiaoping.

Giorgio Napolitano: old and frail, suffered aortic dissection some time ago and nowadays mostly retired. Might be a good pick indeed.

Desmond Tutu: 100% guaranteed. Cancer for 20+ years, looked he was about to explode at his 90th birthday. Easy easy score.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Frank Gehry

Just Fontaine

Milan Kunedra

Francoise Hardy

I know who all of those are, so they must be notable!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, drol said:

George Alagiah: I would not like this pick. He may be ill, but his fame outside UK is nil and he's not a household name even in the UK.

Outside UK yes, but I'd disagree about the latter.  He's been a constant TV presence as a news reporter/presenter since the 1980s.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

Outside UK yes, but I'd disagree about the latter.  He's been a constant TV presence as a news reporter/presenter since the 1980s.

Aye, since when has George Alagiah not been a household name in the UK? He was presenting the main news when I was a wean, and still is. Easily passes the "Has Mum heard of them?" test.

• Like 1

I would remind @drol and @Lafaucheuse that this is a UK centric forum. If someone is a household name in the UK, their international notability isn’t particularly relevant. Stanley Baxter may not be too familiar to younger people in the UK, but he was once a huge name here.

There has always been a precedence to consider UK household names ahead of others. US names like Bob Newhart (who isn’t a UK household name) are also more likely than international personalities like Fontaine or Kundera because the entertainment industry transcends notability to a greater extent than literature and football. Far more ppl here are likely to be familiar with US film and television than French football or Czech literature…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Frank Gehry

Just Fontaine

Milan Kunedra

Francoise Hardy

Gehry is quite well know ! Kundera and Fontaine also ! These are A list name who will make front page news when they die. At least in France. Hardy is the equivalent of Jane Birkin, one of the very great 60-70’ singer, married to Jacques Dutronc and has had terminal cancer for years. Recently she declined and told the press that she was preparing her death.

I get that she’s not that famous in UK (even if she did sing in English and I thought she was a well known name there) but the other 3 ones I’m a bit shocked ! Again this is all a question of nationality : no one knows in France who Baxter is honestly, maybe it’s the same with Hardy for you 

28 minutes ago, drol said:

Pelé: 100% guaranteed to go on DL. Colon cancer, self-declaredly dying, the best footballer ever. 

FW De Klerk: meshothelioma, Nobel Prize, last SA apartheid president. A lock, 100% guaranteed.

Nichelle Nichols: Definitely meets fame criteria (first TV interracial kiss and so on) and is frail, but dementia sufferers could linger for years. Think it is too early.

Noam Chomsky: household name who is generically old and frail. Might give him a try.

Jiang Zemin: in a relatively short time there will be a flurry of deaths from the 20s generation of Chinese politics, as most names have been frail for years and only alive thanks to advanced medical care. In particular Jiang's (and Zhu Rongji's) death has been expected for years. Definitely meets fame criteria and it would be nice to score with another paramount leader after Deng Xiaoping.

Giorgio Napolitano: old and frail, suffered aortic dissection some time ago and nowadays mostly retired. Might be a good pick indeed.

Desmond Tutu: 100% guaranteed. Cancer for 20+ years, looked he was about to explode at his 90th birthday. Easy easy score.

Agree with all of that, Even Alagiah

Just now, Lafaucheuse said:

Gehry is quite well know ! Kundera and Fontaine also ! These are A list name who will make front page news when they die. At least in France. 

That being the key phrase of your argument.

Their deaths will not make front page/breaking news in the UK.

Hence their inclusion is unlikely. 

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

That being the key phrase of your argument.

Their deaths will not make front page/breaking news in the UK.

Hence their inclusion is unlikely. 

I doubt people like Tom Smith in last year list for example would have made front page/breaking news report either. Same for the Nolan sisters or Frank Williams

4 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

I doubt people like Tom Smith in last year list for example would have made front page/breaking news report either. Same for the Nolan sisters or Frank Williams

Frank Williams and Linda Nolan would probably receive a section on a front page tabloid. Tom Smith, I agree, is a weak pick. I had never heard of him before he was first mentioned on here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

It helps if you remember the DL is made by a bunch of Brits in their mid-50s who clearly had a love for US TV imports of the 70s/80s. 

Btw, Francoise Hardy had 3 UK top 40 hits in the 1960s here. I know of her because she's a music name but she's considerably less famous here than in France.

Tom Smith? I suspect at least one 90s rugby fan on the Cmme tbh! Either that, or they saw he was ill on an internet forum.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, msc said:

It helps if you remember the DL is made by a bunch of Brits in their mid-50s who clearly had a love for US TV imports of the 70s/80s. 

Btw, Francoise Hardy had 3 UK top 40 hits in the 1960s here. I know of her because she's a music name but she's considerably less famous here than in France.

Tom Smith? I suspect at least one 90s rugby fan on the Cmme tbh! Either that, or they saw he was ill on an internet forum.

Rugby does seem to get a disproportionate consideration

Surprised no-one has picked it for Scavenger Hunt yet

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Rugby does seem to get a disproportionate consideration

Surprised no-one has picked it for Scavenger Hunt yet

Oh ok, if needed I'll send you a rugby one instead of Doctor Who...

(This is a lie.)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

(This is a lie.)

If you win you get all five - so why not

I suspect the US posters might gulp a little at trying to understand the difference between Union & League

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Frank Gehry

Just Fontaine

Milan Kunedra

Francoise Hardy

Gehry is not that obscure, at least not in my neck of the woods, thanks to his innovative design for a a never-realised development a few years ago.

83345.bin?width=982&height=726&auto=webp&quality=75

Just Fontaine will probably get some coverage, the amount depending on the proximity to a FIFA World Cup Finals. Kundera isn't a household name, granted, but who hasn't heard of The Unbearable Lightness of Being? Francoise Hardy, give you that one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

(This is a lie.)

May I guess the categories?

1. Doctor Who

2. Wrestlers

3. Rugby

And then it gets difficult....

4. Members of parliament

5. Sci-Fi / Fantasy writers?

(And of course, I would definitely choose a "classical musicians" category, a D-A-CH-category, an "official" LGBTIAQ²*XYZ category, and...oh, why not Chess players and, I don't know, architects? Inventors? Businesspeople? Something like that.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time said:

Gehry is not that obscure, at least not in my neck of the woods, thanks to his innovative design for a a never-realised development a few years ago.

Just Fontaine will probably get some coverage, the amount depending on the proximity to a FIFA World Cup Finals. Kundera isn't a household name, granted, but who hasn't heard of The Unbearable Lightness of Being? Francoise Hardy,

Glad to see the defence of the inclusion and to put them into some context but in a list like the one above they are names I did not recognise. I understand why with Fontaine and Gehry but I accept that I should have known Kunedra. Still less famous than Stanley Baxter who needs to be in next year to have a race off with Her Majesty

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

May I guess the categories?

1. Doctor Who

2. Wrestlers

3. Rugby

And then it gets difficult....

4. Members of parliament

5. Sci-Fi / Fantasy writers?

(And of course, I would definitely choose a "classical musicians" category, a D-A-CH-category, an "official" LGBTIAQ²*XYZ category, and...oh, why not Chess players and, I don't know, architects? Inventors? Businesspeople? Something like that.)

So far in the 20 categories we have not yet had a duplicate

Naturally Doctor Who was a category in the opening game

I will accept repeated categories though probably not from the just completed game

4 minutes ago, time said:

Just Fontaine will probably get some coverage, the amount depending on the proximity to a FIFA World Cup Finals. Kundera isn't a household name, granted, but who hasn't heard of The Unbearable Lightness of Being? Francoise Hardy, give you that one.

Gehry is well known in France for two constructions : the Louis Vuitton’s fondation (a real work of art which is widely appreciated) and the Cinémathèque française

Just now, Lafaucheuse said:

Gehry is well known in France for two constructions : the Louis Vuitton’s fondation (a real work of art which is widely appreciated) and the Cinémathèque française

He is actually quite well-known in the UK (for the Guggenhiem Bilbao mainly), but as, stated above, especially locally for the proposal mentioned. I also, FWIW, think he's a good shout for the list (but bear in mind my picks normally last for years after first selection).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

So far in the 20 categories we have not yet had a duplicate

Naturally Doctor Who was a category in the opening game

I will accept repeated categories though probably not from the just completed game

Well, first things, I don't expect to win the Scavengers, there are a lot of good sides in there and not even one of my subs in the last category has snuffed it yet.

Second, on the off chance I ever did, I'd pick stuff I like, but...which have blatantly useful Wiki pages/lists or threads on here for those who know nothing about the topic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Well, first things, I don't expect to win the Scavengers, there are a lot of good sides in there and not even one of my subs in the last category has snuffed it yet.

Second, on the off chance I ever did, I'd pick stuff I like, but...which have blatantly useful Wiki pages/lists or threads on here for those who know nothing about the topic. 

At this time you are the only person who is within one hit of winning and all that stand between you and victory is any one of five elderly politicians of whom Nigel Lawson is the youngest

By the way  - Happy Birthday to Bill Rodgers 93 today

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

At this time you are the only person who is within one hit of winning and all that stand between you and victory is any one of five elderly politicians of whom Nigel Lawson is the youngest

By the way  - Happy Birthday to Bill Rodgers 93 today

Nigel Lawson has been deadpoolers fools gold for me for about a decade now.

Ah, Bill Rodgers. Grimly amusing that the two surviving members of the Gang of Four are the loudest (David Owen) and the quietest (Rodgers) individuals!

• Like 1