Charles De Gaulle

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2021 Deathlist

At the risk of all of these keeling over next month these are the sixteen names I would drop for the 2022 List

1. Shannon Doherty

2. Shane MacGowan

3. Vanessa Redgrave

4. Burt Bacharach

5. Betty Boothroyd

6. Willie Nelson

7. Mel Brooks

8. Linda Nolan

9. Barbara Walters

10. Dick Cheney

11. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

12. Loretta Lynn

13. Emperor Akihito

14. Dick van Dyke

15. Bernard Cribbins

16. David Crosby

The last three were hard to decide upon but I think the others should be off definitely (as things stand)

Emperor Akihito and Ali Khamenei I'd drop. They're octogenarians who had health problems in the past but currently feel like wasted picks. Wouldn't be suprised if both would be still alive in around five to seven years. And Willie Nelson, he's still touring and I feel like he'll reach 90. Bob Newhart, Bernard Cribbins, Burt Bacharach and Betty Boothroyd seem like wasted picks to me.

Bob Dole, Bob Barker, June Brown, Jimmy Carter, Leslie Phillips, Jacques Delors, Prunella Scales, Rosalynn Carter, Harry Belafonte, Angela Lansbury (Possibly?), Tony Bennett, Pope Ben, Imelda Marcos, Joanne Woodward, Sidney Poitier, Yoko Ono, J-M Le Pen, Barbara Walters and Raul Castro seem like the best, "they don't have long" ones on the current DL.

Betty White, Henry Kissinger, Alan Greenspan, Stanley Baxter, Mel Brooks (and Dick Van Dyke) seem to be in great health but on the other hand all are 95+ and will probably drop dead from a sudden heart attack the day they're taken off the list. QEII would be good to keep until her death, would be one hell of a miss.

Loretta Lynn is another "was sick, isn't that sick anymore"

I don't know about Linda Nolan, Vanessa Redgrave or Shannen Doherty. Nolan and Doherty seem like two perennial cancer fighters, don't know much about Redgrave's health.

The best as the last: David Crosby, Dick Cheney, Frank Williams and Shane MacGowan. Some of the youngest people on the list but also absolute miracles.

David Crosby, a former drug user who got a liver transplant in 1994 paid by Phil Collins (now also very deathlisty), "going to die fairly soon" in June 2020. Still going, his heart may be eternal.

Dick Cheney, longtime smoker who has had five heart attacks, lived without a pulse with a LAVD with congestive heart failure for nearly fifteen months. Recieved a heart transplant in 2012. Still going, his original heart isn't.

Shane MacGowan? He could have died at any point during the last 18 years and I doubt anyone would have been very suprised. I would be suprised if he gets to 65, however he might be immortal.

Frank Williams has been in a wheelchair since 1986, hospitalised last year. Has looked horrible for decades. He'll be 80 in April!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

At the risk of all of these keeling over next month these are the sixteen names I would drop for the 2022 List

1. Shannon Doherty

2. Shane MacGowan

3. Vanessa Redgrave

4. Burt Bacharach

5. Betty Boothroyd

6. Willie Nelson

7. Mel Brooks

8. Linda Nolan

9. Barbara Walters

10. Dick Cheney

11. Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

12. Loretta Lynn

13. Emperor Akihito

14. Dick van Dyke

15. Bernard Cribbins

16. David Crosby

The last three were hard to decide upon but I think the others should be off definitely (as things stand)

Right.

MacGowan, Redgrave, Williams, Boothroyd, Khamenei, Cheney and Lynn seem easy drops tbh. Akihito seems in better nick now he's retired - I mean, he is ill, but doesn't seem deathbed ill. If they can drop Gorbachev (bring back Gorby) they can drop Aki for a bit. So that';s 8, 8 more to go. Alan Greenspan might die in 2022 but he feels like he'll be around for a while, and crucially, I don't particularly care if he is a DL miss. I don't particularly believe the Castro ailment rumours so I'd drop him tbh. 

So by this point I have Delors, Newhart, Walters, Marcos, Yoko Ono, Le Pen and Stanley Baxter, with only one of them staying. I'd be most inclined to keep Stanley Baxter of that lot, but this is the bunch which would get to stay if there were more DL hits in 2021...

For my disagreements with you, Biblio:

Doherty and Nolan both advancing Stage IV cancer now, and the former have COPD to boot. It would be unwise to drop them now, even if they proved a year too early this year. Burt Bacharach is meant to be highly frail, he could go at any time. Willie Nelson is touring but really old and frail and seems to be in borrowed time, ditto Crosby even if he was exaggerating that 2 years to live in 2019. Brooks is old enough and famous enough to take his permanent seat on the list (there are spaces for never goes), and as for Cribbins, the hell am I jinxing that man by taking him off the sodding list!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Right.

MacGowan, Redgrave, Williams, Boothroyd, Khamenei, Cheney and Lynn seem easy drops tbh. Akihito seems in better nick now he's retired - I mean, he is ill, but doesn't seem deathbed ill. If they can drop Gorbachev (bring back Gorby) they can drop Aki for a bit. So that';s 8, 8 more to go. Alan Greenspan might die in 2022 but he feels like he'll be around for a while, and crucially, I don't particularly care if he is a DL miss. I don't particularly believe the Castro ailment rumours so I'd drop him tbh. 

So by this point I have Delors, Newhart, Walters, Marcos, Yoko Ono, Le Pen and Stanley Baxter, with only one of them staying. I'd be most inclined to keep Stanley Baxter of that lot, but this is the bunch which would get to stay if there were more DL hits in 2021...

Doherty and Nolan both advancing Stage IV cancer now, and the former have COPD to boot. It would be unwise to drop them now, even if they proved a year too early this year. Burt Bacharach is meant to be highly frail, he could go at any time. Willie Nelson is touring but really old and frail and seems to be in borrowed time, ditto Crosby even if he was exaggerating that 2 years to live in 2019. Brooks is old enough and famous enough to take his permanent seat on the list (there are spaces for never goes), and as for Cribbins, the hell am I jinxing that man by taking him off the sodding list!

My only thought re Willie Nelson is that he has been quite active and touring and campaigning for charities. This is where it gets difficult because you see people like that and think they look frail but there are probably a lot more frail people who you don't see. However he does strike me as one who would want to go whilst still working

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

My only thought re Willie Nelson is that he has been quite active and touring and campaigning for charities. This is where it gets difficult because you see people like that and think they look frail but there are probably a lot more frail people who you don't see. However he does strike me as one who would want to go whilst still working

I think he's the sort who wants to die with their boots on, like how his pal Johnny Cash was performing until pretty much the final weeks of his life.

• Like 1

Kris Kristofferson? Recently retired (becoming the first highwayman to retire due to other reasons than death)

Willie still looks and sounds great:

akihito.png.04f51eade9fb3429bdf4118f0f95d376.png

I don't know if Akihito is ill, but he looks great. Picture from November. Walks daily and still works (with the fish research thing he's doing)

There are a lot of other great picks in East Asia. Jiang Zemin and Chun Doo-hwan aren't well

• Like 1

Wonder if Chris Rea might get the "British name celebrity who has been just general ill for fucking ages now" call-up in 2022? Wouldn't be surprised to see Rupert Murdoch in the big 50 either.

• Like 1

Vanessa Redgrave sounds more and more frail every year. If you ever watch Call the Midwife you will hear her voice at the start and end of each episode.

Bernard Cribbins recently lost his wife and being without a companion after so long usually means they will go within 18 months as well. Not forgetting he is 92.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, msc said:

Right.

There will be more DL hits this year  I want to reassure you.. .

7 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

There will be more DL hits this year  I want to reassure you.. .

November and December tend to be home to 1 or 2, yes (well 1 or 3, never 11 without the 12th, remember) but you can't know who in advance.

• Like 1

Who do people think deserve the top spot next year ?

Yeah definitely Dole if he is still breathing.If not I would say Leslie Phillips is second preference due to a combination of longevity and durability on the list.

George Alagiah and Bill Turnbull also strike me as potentials for the number 1 spot.Both very high profile names that have been terminal for a long time and have recently deteriorated.

• Like 2

Frank Field is another name that springs to mind however doubt the committee would put him at Number 1 as he is considerably less famous than all the number 1s before him.

F W de Klerk is another possibility as has a combination of name recognition and extent of terminal illness.Very slim odds of making 2023.

Edit: Pele also seems a possibility also 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

F W de Klerk is another possibility as has a combination of name recognition and extent of terminal illness.Very slim odds of making 2023.

Edit: Pele also seems a possibility also 

Speaking of de Klerk do we have any news about his health ? If not I doubt he’ll even be on the list.

Pelé though would be a strong choice 

3 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Speaking of de Klerk do we have any news about his health ? If not I doubt he’ll even be on the list.

Mesothelioma is not normally a cancer someone tends to live long with. 

5 minutes ago, Banana said:

Mesothelioma is not normally a cancer someone tends to live long with. 

My flop DDP pick Bruce Reid was an outlier. He lasted 22 months. That would only take de Klerk as far as January 2023. 

Kate Williams (the BBC radio presenter) has had it for a while but she was a lot younger than the average sufferer and they caught it at a surprisingly early stage.

2 hours ago, msc said:

November and December tend to be home to 1 or 2, yes (well 1 or 3, never 11 without the 12th, remember) but you can't know who in advance.

Those numbers seem rather low... high ball the figure!

for next year, I'd drop

• David Crosby (not even that old)

• Ayatollah (see Crosby)

• Willie Nelson (does tour, frail and old but sings again, does interview and everything)

• Linda Nolan (too quiet, maybe she could see 2023) 

• Betty Boothroyd (old but doesn't seem THAT frail compared to others on the list)

• Frank Williams (ill and wheelchair bound but could see him going further in his 80's) 

• Shannen Doherty (same as Nolan)

• Stanley Baxter (old but… also no-one knows who he is outside of UK)

• Redgrave (ill but not that old, could have a bit of time left)

• Yoko Ono (see Redgrave)

• Dick Cheney (heart attacks is not enough to kill him apparently) 

• Akihito (active, probably has a great medicine team who take care of him even if he's ill, he's better than he used to) 

• Rosalynn Carter (can't see her dying before her husband and as he's still here and probably will be through a part of 2022, I think she has a year or two left)

• Loretta Lynn

• Prunella Scales

• Mel Brooks/Dick van Dyke 

the three lasts were hard to choose but I went with their recent picture and they all looked really good for their age, even Scales ! 

New people I'd like to see next year

• Giorgio Napolitano

• Jiang Zemin 

• Iris Apfel

• Tippi Hedren

• Buzz Aldrin 

• Monica Vitti 

• Jean Louis Trintignant 

• Gina Lollobrigida

• Robert Solow

• Arlene Dahl

• Milan Kundera

• Noam Chomsky 

• Frank Gehry 

• Nichelle Nichols 

• Georges Soros 

• Francoise Hardy (has, at the best, 6 months to live, mark my world)

• Isabel Peron 

• F.W. de Klerk

• Gorbachev 

• Pelé

• Just Fontaine 

• Bill Turnbull

• Georges Alagiah 

people I'd like to see back

• Gorbachev 

• David Attenborough 

• Demons Tutu 

• Like 2

I'd be wary of dropping either of the Carters. Once one goes I think the other will follow quite quickly like George Bush Snr and Barbara Bush

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Demons Tutu 

That conjures up an interesting image.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

for next year, I'd drop

• David Crosby (not even that old)

• Ayatollah (see Crosby)

• Willie Nelson (does tour, frail and old but sings again, does interview and everything)

• Linda Nolan (too quiet, maybe she could see 2023) 

• Betty Boothroyd (old but doesn't seem THAT frail compared to others on the list)

• Frank Williams (ill and wheelchair bound but could see him going further in his 80's) 

• Shannen Doherty (same as Nolan)

• Stanley Baxter (old but… also no-one knows who he is outside of UK)

• Redgrave (ill but not that old, could have a bit of time left)

• Yoko Ono (see Redgrave)

• Dick Cheney (heart attacks is not enough to kill him apparently) 

• Akihito (active, probably has a great medicine team who take care of him even if he's ill, he's better than he used to) 

• Rosalynn Carter (can't see her dying before her husband and as he's still here and probably will be through a part of 2022, I think she has a year or two left)

• Loretta Lynn

• Prunella Scales

• Mel Brooks/Dick van Dyke 

the three lasts were hard to choose but I went with their recent picture and they all looked really good for their age, even Scales ! 

New people I'd like to see next year

• Giorgio Napolitano

• Jiang Zemin 

• Iris Apfel

• Tippi Hedren

• Buzz Aldrin 

• Monica Vitti 

• Jean Louis Trintignant 

• Gina Lollobrigida

• Robert Solow

• Arlene Dahl

• Milan Kundera

• Noam Chomsky 

• Frank Gehry 

• Nichelle Nichols 

• Georges Soros 

• Francoise Hardy (has, at the best, 6 months to live, mark my world)

• Isabel Peron 

• F.W. de Klerk

• Gorbachev 

• Pelé

• Just Fontaine 

• Bill Turnbull

• Georges Alagiah 

people I'd like to see back

• Gorbachev 

• David Attenborough 

• Demons Tutu 

For someone who complained about Stanley Baxter there are some pretty obscure names on this list.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

For someone who complained about Stanley Baxter there are some pretty obscure names on this list.

Such as ?

Zemin, Chomsky, Nichols and F.W. de Klerk are definitely famous enough for the list and especially Zemin and Nichols are very frail. Pele and Alagiah feel like names that will almost certainly be on the list next year unless they die before 2022

Napolitano is also quite deathlisty IMO, longest-serving President of Italy (2006-2015, over 8 years), only President of Italy to be reelected and a political kingmaker. And he's 96.

Tutu looked frail during his 90th birthday party.

• Like 3