Charles De Gaulle

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2021 Deathlist

1 minute ago, msc said:

Nigel Lawson has been deadpoolers fools gold for me for about a decade now.

Ah, Bill Rodgers. Grimly amusing that the two surviving members of the Gang of Four are the loudest (David Owen) and the quietest (Rodgers) individuals!

I thought Hurd looked at Death's door at Thatcher's funeral but he keeps hanging on

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I thought Hurd looked at Death's door at Thatcher's funeral but he keeps hanging on

Hurd and Tebbit are being kept alive by the continued oppression of the proletariat. 

:lol:

(I'm being flippant again for the poor wee Tory/Royalist supporting snowflakes here).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Lawson looked like an off key sneeze would finish him off for ages. 

This is going to be like Dawn/Booth in the end., where all these long term Tory names go pretty much at the same time.

• Like 1

On Gehry... yes he is well known in the UK. Some of his latest work is in the new Battersea development, for example.

That's not what's at question. We should ask 1) does he feel "DeathListy"? No.
2) Do we really want a list packed with reasonably healthy nonagenarians again given how that's panned out this year?? Gehry, like Sondheim, like Chomsky, is still bloody working!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

On Gehry... yes he is well known in the UK. Some of his latest work is in the new Battersea development, for example.

That's not what's at question. We should ask 1) does he feel "DeathListy"? No.
2) Do we really want a list packed with reasonably healthy nonagenarians again given how that's panned out this year?? Gehry, like Sondheim, like Chomsky, is still bloody working!

A reminder that what we want carries absolutely no weight with the committee! Also, to me, Gehry is 'deathlisty', but then we each have our own reasoning as to who is & isn't Deathlisty.

• Like 1

Just now, time said:

A reminder that what we want carries absolutely no weight with the committee! Also, to me, Gehry is 'deathlisty', but then we each have our own reasoning as to who is & isn't Deathlisty.

I'm aware. I'm speaking hypothetically. This whole thread is in reality rather pointless.

• Like 2

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm aware. I'm speaking hypothetically. This whole thread is in reality rather pointless.

geKJcvAxUpWNrJg47oqQ6e.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

But it is an intellectual exercise and I have already been schooled in the credentials of a number of people who were not previously on my radar who probably should be but there are plenty of other outlets for our ideas including the Crowdsourced Deathlist

• Like 2

3 hours ago, msc said:

Francoise Hardy had 3 UK top 40 hits in the 1960s here. I know of her because she's a music name but she's considerably less famous here than in France.

I think this has been discussed before, but she was very well known here in the 60s and appeared on British TV a lot.  Probably one of the best-known French entertainers at that time.

This will be an age thing though, because I don't think she did much here later on.

• Like 2

OK another futile game to while away the time until the next hit

Direct replacements for the ones we have lost

Duke of Edinburgh - Duke or Duchess of Kent

George Schultz - Mikhail Gorbachov

Rush Limbaugh - Rupert Murdoch

Murray Walker - Bill Turnbull

Abdelaziz Bouteflika - F W de Klerk

Jimmy Greaves - Pele

Walter Mondale - Bill Clinton

Leon Spinks - Garfield Sobers

Captain Tom Moore - Sir Anthony Sher

Ach, I really do like these speculations. They are fun, no matter if the Committee will really include all these thoughts and wishes or not.

For 2022 I hope that Gorby, Jerry Lee Lewis and Desmond Tutu will return.

As a feminist and advocate of equality (a little exaggerated, I know :P) I hope for many women to join the list but it's really not easy to make a selection here.

Betty White, Angela Lansbury and Joanne Woodward will be kept until their death, same with the Queen.

I think that Imelda Marcos, June Brown and Rosalynn Carter won't be dropped either.

It's hard to decide wether Linda Nolan and Shannen Doherty should stay on the list or not - I would keep them.

Betty Boothroyd could probably left out next year, maybe Yoko Ono and Prunella Scales, too. Plus Vanessa Redgrave.

Will Loretta Lynn (No.6!) be skipped? Then Barbara Walters rather than her.

New ones could be those already mentioned Nichelle Nichols, Duchess of Kent and Francoise Hardy, but what about Joan Plowright, Maggie Smith or Marianne Faithfull?

Olivia Newton-John could return next year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

OK another futile game to while away the time until the next hit

Direct replacements for the ones we have lost

Duke of Edinburgh - Duke or Duchess of Kent

George Schultz - Mikhail Gorbachov

Rush Limbaugh - Rupert Murdoch

Murray Walker - Bill Turnbull

Abdelaziz Bouteflika - F W de Klerk

Jimmy Greaves - Pele

Walter Mondale - Bill Clinton

Leon Spinks - Garfield Sobers

Captain Tom Moore - Sir Anthony Sher

That Tom Moore/Anthony Sher connection, eh? :D

For Greaves, Bobby Charlton feels likely. Alagiah (that obscure name in the UK, hah) over Turnbull, though they could pick both. As for Limbaugh replacement - James Whale?

Otherwise, from public forum names, I could see Alan Igglesden (they love cricket, I know little of it, this may show here), Frank Field and maaaybe Tom Weiskopf or Chuck Wepner getting a nod.

7 minutes ago, Book said:

Ach, I really do like these speculations. They are fun, no matter if the Committee will really include all these thoughts and wishes or not.

For 2022 I hope that Gorby, Jerry Lee Lewis and Desmond Tutu will return.

As a feminist and advocate of equality (a little exaggerated, I know :P) I hope for many women to join the list but it's really not easy to make a selection here.

Betty White, Angela Lansbury and Joanne Woodward will be kept until their death, same with the Queen.

I think that Imelda Marcos, June Brown and Rosalynn Carter won't be dropped either.

It's hard to decide wether Linda Nolan and Shannen Doherty should stay on the list or not - I would keep them.

Betty Boothroyd could probably left out next year, maybe Yoko Ono and Prunella Scales, too. Plus Vanessa Redgrave.

Will Loretta Lynn (No.6!) be skipped? Then Barbara Walters rather than her.

New ones could be those already mentioned Nichelle Nichols, Duchess of Kent and Francoise Hardy, but what about Joan Plowright, Maggie Smith or Marianne Faithfull?

Olivia Newton-John could return next year.

In your wheelhouse, Glynis J and E M Saint are overdue DL debuts, although of course they were good omissions so far due to not actually dying yet.

Betty White's in the never leaving list now, there till she drops. Likely Lansbury too, and I think June Brown is getting to that stage. 

Nolan and Doherty are on my DDP shortlist, which probably tells you what I think about their spots on a 50 pick list!

I've been predicting Marianne Faithful in your game for years. She just feels like a DL pick. 

I suspect one of the Stones will show up after Charlie Watts death. Wyman? Joan Collins and Claire Bloom are nearing their DL debuts too, although - cross fingers - both seem in good nick still. 

I could waffle about this for too long, so one name that is a bit off the usual suspects but which feels like the sort of name the Cmme might go for? Ray Reardon, snooker player of note, who turns 90 next year.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Exactly.

We have the same fucking thread every year, posted by some muppet, and they are utterly pointless.

As soon as someone starts the 'Thoughts and Opinions 2022 ' bollocks, it should be locked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

For Greaves, Bobby Charlton feels likely. Alagiah (that obscure name in the UK, hah) over Turnbull, though they could pick both. As for Limbaugh replacement - James Whale?

Otherwise, from public forum names, I could see Alan Igglesden (they love cricket, I know little of it, this may show here), Frank Field and maaaybe Tom Weiskopf or Chuck Wepner getting a nod.

In your wheelhouse, Glynis J and E M Saint are overdue DL debuts, although of course they were good omissions so far due to not actually dying yet.

Betty White's in the never leaving list now, there till she drops. Likely Lansbury too, and I think June Brown is getting to that stage. 

Nolan and Doherty are on my DDP shortlist, which probably tells you what I think about their spots on a 50 pick list!

I've been predicting Marianne Faithful in your game for years. She just feels like a DL pick. 

I suspect one of the Stones will show up after Charlie Watts death. Wyman? Joan Collins and Claire Bloom are nearing their DL debuts too, although - cross fingers - both seem in good nick still. 

I could waffle about this for too long, so one name that is a bit off the usual suspects but which feels like the sort of name the Cmme might go for? Ray Reardon, snooker player of note, who turns 90 next year.

You copying me or something??? :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

You copying me or something??? :)

To be fair I was copying Spade, but hell, always nick folks ideas! :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

To be fair I was copying Spade, but hell, always nick folks ideas! :lol:

Admittedly, I have fuck all of my own!

15 hours ago, msc said:

How do you even categorize Tom Moore? Overhyped nobody who just managed to assuage the guilt of the right wing press about continued under funding of the NHS?

As he was in the #50 position I thought that could be a wildcard position and fill it with a useful opportunistic pick

However your comments on Bernard Cribbins make me hark back to the days when the #50 slot belonged to Clive Dunn and I think it should be for a National Treasure who we are too scared to drop. Obviously Cribbins fits that bill but Johnny Ball,  Gudrun Ure, Michael Palin or Maggie Smith would all equally do

• Like 1

Last year, #50 was Peter Sutcliffe. It's really kind of a "joker" slot. Who knows, maybe there'll be a terminally ill killer coming out of the woodwork.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Last year, #50 was Peter Sutcliffe. It's really kind of a "joker" slot. Who knows, maybe there'll be a terminally ill killer coming out of the woodwork.

I was actually thinking about this. Now that Sutcliffe and Brady have gone who are the real bogey 'men' of the British Prison system

Only Rose West springs to mind as having the cultural impact we would be looking for. Eventually Ian Huntley might get there but at the moment he is just a punt for DDP players who think he might have an 'accident'

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

How do you even categorize Tom Moore? Overhyped nobody who just managed to assuage the guilt of the right wing press about continued under funding of the NHS?

As he was in the #50 position I thought that could be a wildcard position and fill it with a useful opportunistic pick

However your comments on Bernard Cribbins make me hark back to the days when the #50 slot belonged to Clive Dunn and I think it should be for a National Treasure who we are too scared to drop. Obviously Cribbins fits that bill but Johnny Ball,  Gudrun Ure, Michael Palin or Maggie Smith would all equally do

Captain Tom? Harmless old man who seemed to genuinely want to help folk but was used by others to further their agendas. When he was interviewed he came across as a frail old man who'd recently suffered a head injury (which he had) and went downhill rapidly as he kept being thrust into the spotlight. 

I think that might be the charitable version of what you posted, actually.

Ball seems well for his age, Smith is aging but compared to Maggie Smith  (also, don't her and Judi Dench strike you as future DL legends?), and let's not jinx my hero Michael Palin, thanks. Cribbins looked horribly frail when I last saw him on TV, going to be a sad day when he goes.

@gcreptileI see what you did there!

22 minutes ago, msc said:

Captain Tom? Harmless old man who seemed to genuinely want to help folk but was used by others to further their agendas. When he was interviewed he came across as a frail old man who'd recently suffered a head injury (which he had) and went downhill rapidly as he kept being thrust into the spotlight. 

I think that might be the charitable version of what you posted, actually.

Ball seems well for his age, Smith is aging but compared to Maggie Smith  (also, don't her and Judi Dench strike you as future DL legends?), and let's not jinx my hero Michael Palin, thanks. Cribbins looked horribly frail when I last saw him on TV, going to be a sad day when he goes.

@gcreptileI see what you did there!

I have very few genuine heroes. There are many I admire greatly (David Attenborough) say, but heroes? Nah, not many. One of them is Michael Palin and whilst I will be incredibly upset when he goes, in the last few years I have mentally prepared myself for it. He does seem to be going downhill much quicker than I wouldve expected ten years ago.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

It used to be the Clive Dunn slot.

Supergran

Despite many efforts Gudrun Ure, now 95, has never received her rightful promotion from Supergran to the successor to Clive Dunn.

If this had happened at the rightful time, 2013, she would by now have also attained legendary death list status (maybe :P).

• Like 3

On the thread link to Gudrun Ure I've just posted above there is an implied guarantee from @Paul Bearer that @maryportfuncity (hmm why does that not work for mary?) would be able to join the committee if he made a further 8,000 posts. 

That was in 2015 - wonder how close mary is to that now?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I have very few genuine heroes. There are many I admire greatly (David Attenborough) say, but heroes? Nah, not many. One of them is Michael Palin and whilst I will be incredibly upset when he goes, in the last few years I have mentally prepared myself for it. He does seem to be going downhill much quicker than I wouldve expected ten years ago.

Oh I'm usually a cynical bastard but I do bloody love Michael Palin. Always have. He was also really nice to me once when he had no need to be, so yeah, long may he live. Attenborough will be a sad one, but I'm also aware he's had a long and relatively happy life too, which is nice.

I like to think you prepare yourself for some of these people going (Tom Baker for example requires a lot of mental preparation), but then I found you can get completely blindsided by folk you never even thought you would pre-death. Like this last week or so I've been properly fucked off by Peter Scolari's untimely death. I hadn't thought of him in years, but I loved his stuff when I was a kid. 

• Like 1

I think criteria of reasonable fame is who gets breaking news push notifications. Top Tier is BBC News and/or Sky News. Second Tier is BBC Sport. Third tier the Mirror/Sun/Mail/Telegraph/Guardian.

Of the 9 hits this year Captain Tom, Greaves, Walker and Philip certainly got the top tier. Spinks got BBC sport but I am not sure if he got one from Sky News (coverage is different). The others only for news articles I think rather than Alerts - Limbaugh got them from all the USA outfits but I can’t remember him getting any from the British ones.