Charles De Gaulle

Thoughts and Opinions on the 2021 Deathlist

36 minutes ago, msc said:

Captain Tom? Harmless old man who seemed to genuinely want to help folk but was used by others to further their agendas. When he was interviewed he came across as a frail old man who'd recently suffered a head injury (which he had) and went downhill rapidly as he kept being thrust into the spotlight. 

I think that might be the charitable version of what you posted, actually.

Ball seems well for his age, Smith is aging but compared to Maggie Smith  (also, don't her and Judi Dench strike you as future DL legends?), and let's not jinx my hero Michael Palin, thanks. Cribbins looked horribly frail when I last saw him on TV, going to be a sad day when he goes.

@gcreptileI see what you did there!

Yes it did come across as harsh but I have no issue with Tom himself but the huge Tom bandwagon was a little nauseating.

Unfortunately I do think Michael Palin will be the next Python to go.

As far as I can see Maggie Smith and Judy Dench are both still active and she was really included as the type of person who might be suitable. Patricia Routledge may have been a better example.

I think it will be sad when Cribbins goes but the sheer hard work of the man like when John Hurt went and you started thinking about the sheer volume of things he had been in. His body of work will be a cause of celebration. After his wife died someone on Twitter who knows him did mention to him about all the messages of goodwill that had been expressed and he thanked everyone and hoped they would all send him a fiver. So he still has his sense of humour. He is a national treasure and probably deserves a knighthood.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Oh I'm usually a cynical bastard but I do bloody love Michael Palin. Always have. He was also really nice to me once when he had no need to be, so yeah, long may he live. Attenborough will be a sad one, but I'm also aware he's had a long and relatively happy life too, which is nice.

I like to think you prepare yourself for some of these people going (Tom Baker for example requires a lot of mental preparation), but then I found you can get completely blindsided by folk you never even thought you would pre-death. Like this last week or so I've been properly fucked off by Peter Scolari's untimely death. I hadn't thought of him in years, but I loved his stuff when I was a kid. 

Terry Pratchett felt like a punch in the stomach.

I had just arrived at my hotel in Vietnam after a long flight (not business class) and this was the first thing to hit me

Terrence Dicks was a very sad one as well

But every time I see Tom Baker trending I am apprehensive

• Like 2

This is straying into the territory of this thread

• Like 1

On 29/10/2021 at 09:30, Bibliogryphon said:

How do you even categorize Tom Moore? Overhyped nobody who just managed to assuage the guilt of the right wing press about continued under funding of the NHS?

As he was in the #50 position I thought that could be a wildcard position and fill it with a useful opportunistic pick

However your comments on Bernard Cribbins make me hark back to the days when the #50 slot belonged to Clive Dunn and I think it should be for a National Treasure who we are too scared to drop. Obviously Cribbins fits that bill but Johnny Ball,  Gudrun Ure, Michael Palin or Maggie Smith would all equally do

Michael Caine would be another candidate for the #50 National Treasure slot 

• Like 2

What's with all of the people writing off Michael Palin? Has he recently been diagnosed with a terminal illness I have missed as he looked fine in the recentish interviews I have seen him doing. I would still expect John Cleese to go next of the Pythons based on his obesity although he does have good genes (his mother lived to 100). Reckon Eric Idle will make very old bones and be the last surviving Python which might see him appear on the list in his 90s if that happens. 

• Like 2

On 31/10/2021 at 08:54, Deathrace said:

What's with all of the people writing off Michael Palin? Has he recently been diagnosed with a terminal illness I have missed as he looked fine in the recentish interviews I have seen him doing. I would still expect John Cleese to go next of the Pythons based on his obesity although he does have good genes (his mother lived to 100). Reckon Eric Idle will make very old bones and be the last surviving Python which might see him appear on the list in his 90s if that happens. 

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1501901/michael-palin-health-heart-scare-mitral-valve-symptoms

Although this could be argued that this story might push his inclusion further into the future because he has taken medical advice

As a fan of Michael Palin's works outside of Monty Python I keep tabs on him and havn't heard of anything major. I would be more concerned about the other Pythons such as John Cleese.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/health/1501901/michael-palin-health-heart-scare-mitral-valve-symptoms

Although this could be argued that this story might push his inclusion further into the future because he has taken medical advice

Aye, and he's been a regular  runner for 40 years - which will likely have done his general health a few favours.

• Like 2

On 29/10/2021 at 12:04, Bibliogryphon said:

I was actually thinking about this. Now that Sutcliffe and Brady have gone who are the real bogey 'men' of the British Prison system

Only Rose West springs to mind as having the cultural impact we would be looking for. Eventually Ian Huntley might get there but at the moment he is just a punt for DDP players who think he might have an 'accident'

Rose West could be a good pick, considered "clinically extremely vulnerable" due to being hugely overweight and suffered a bad reaction from the vaccine.

Around two thirds of the people on this year's list were over 90, however there are a lot of good picks who are under 90 and not nonagenarians who'll live until 102.

West, Milos Zeman, Marianne Faithfull, Frank Field, Jerry Lee Lewis, Martti Ahtisaari, George Alagiah, de Klerk...

• Like 3

I have just prepared the 350 name entry form for my 'work' game for 2022

Which is usually a prompt for the people on it to start dying

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I have just prepared the 350 name entry form for my 'work' game for 2022

Which is usually a prompt for the people on it to start dying

Are you aiming for a certain proportion of unique picks?

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Slightly long for a DDP team. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

No I am the game runner

The players have to pick 50 out of the 350 and they score depending on how many people pick that person.

They have five jokers and one joker must be under 65

Then they play a wildcard of someone who is not on the list as an extra bonus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

64 days without a hit. November has been disappointing in terms of celeb deaths so far. Last time we didn’t have a hit on November was in 2017, and last time we didn’t have a hit in December was in 2013. Hope we won’t renew that. 

The whole year has been disappointing in terms of celeb deaths. However the list could have had more of unwell ones instead of people like Dick Van Dyke/Akihito. More Kenneth Kaunda, Jiang Zemin, Jerry Lee Lewis, Desmond Tutu etc.

And they've been so damn "stable", not a lot of the (living) ones have been hospitalised this year as far as I know (only Liz? Maybe some of the cancer picks, Dole and Bennett) 

• Like 3

Also, about Crosby, Nelson and MacGowan:

Comparing them, Crosby seems to be the only one who actually writes his social media posts. 

However Crosby had one year to live (according to himself) in 2019. He has used cocaine, heroin and everything, got a liver transplant in 1994 (funded by Phil Collins, who is also quite deathlisty now) has diabetes and his heart is probably going to explode soon. On the other hand he's planning on performing in June 2022 according to ticketmaster. 

Nelson still performs and releases music but it's now 40 years since his lung collapsed, used to smoke two to three packs of cigarettes a day before that, had pneumonia multiple times decades ago, repeated instances of pneumonia and emphysema in the 2010s. Currently looks like he'll make it to 90 (April 2023) but who knows. Kris Kristofferson is much more quiet than Willie nowadays, which one will ride off into the sunset first?

MacGowan is only 63 and his dad is still alive but he's a former heroin addict and has been drinking for decades. In a wheelchair since 2015 and looks very frail, had a serious bout with pneumonia around 2015 or 2016 and was hospitalised around January. Arguably in a much worse condition than most of the people on the list. Could go on for a couple of years but I can't imagine him living to 70, even 65 would be impressive. 

• Like 2

Nelson is the only one out of them that I can see dying in 2022. Both Crosby and McGowan are younger. I think Crosby has exagerated his health issu back in 2019 : probably wanted to be in the spotlight but despite all his health issues if he has planed a show in 2022, I would say he’s not that bad. 
As to McGowan, he’s frail, in wheelchair and everything but at 63 he has much more energy and strength than he would have if he was in the same condition at 80 or 85 for example. I would say he’s safe for the next 10 or 12 months, maybe even to his 65.

Nelson is frail, was said to have health issue last year (cancer ?) but is still touring so maybe he’ll see his 90 yo but I wouldn’t bet on it !

There are some significant names on the list who really have outlasted the expectations. So it is possible that if we gets the right names transferred over there could be a significant toppling of the dominoes early in the new year

• Like 4

On Saturday 2014 will draw level with 2021.

There were ten hits in total in 2014 and it has been the worst year since the 6 scored in 2011. 

The next date to watch is 5th December which is when the 10th hit in 2013 occurred (there were a total of 13 hits that year) but there were four in December

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/11/2021 at 14:52, Bibliogryphon said:

There are some significant names on the list who really have outlasted the expectations. So it is possible that if we gets the right names transferred over there could be a significant toppling of the dominoes early in the new year

Unless there's a last minute rush you would think there would be a considerable number of sitting ducks for 2022. 

• Like 1

On 27/10/2021 at 15:28, Lafaucheuse said:

New people I'd like to see next year :

• Francoise Hardy (has, at the best, 6 months to live, mark my world)

her son gave a recent interview disputing/clarifying Hardy’s comments about being “close to the end.” He says she’s not dying nor close to it.

On 28/10/2021 at 14:26, Ulitzer95 said:

Gehry, like Sondheim, like Chomsky, is still bloody working!

Well, Frank Gehry finds this post suddenly very ominous!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was just about to post him as a suggestion for 2022 but then a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Well, Frank Gehry finds this post suddenly very ominous!

Yes I done goofed!

Though he was on a chat show in late September and still working hence why I thought he’d go on, but at 90+ anything can happen I guess.

I still don’t think we should pack the DL with active nonagenarians. Dick Van D, Lansbury and the Queen proving why it’s a bad move.

• Like 1