Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

Great work getting this up so quickly

I have 31 unique picks across my three teams but considering my theme team scored zero last year is probably not a good thing

However my main team has no uniques so this is across two teams and with Unusual Suspects it is really the point

I think George Alagiah getting the top spot on the Drop 40 really goes to show how many big beasts we have lost in the last couple of years

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I think George Alagiah getting the top spot on the Drop 40 really goes to show how many big beasts we have lost in the last couple of years

I was 99% sure Carter would take the top spot, since a frail 97-year-old US president felt the natural successor to Phil the Greek, and Kirk, Zsa Zsa etc before. And if he wasn't, it would be Pele, or maybe one of the Toms. Didn't consider Alagiah!

• Like 1

You have Dr Demento listed under H. This might be due to his real name being Barrett Hansen but it isn’t mentioned in his bio.

Just now, Captain Hemlock said:

You have Dr Demento listed under H. This might be due to his real name being Barrett Hansen but it isn’t mentioned in his bio.

I think I know why that is. He was a brand new name this year, entered as Barry Hansen. He was in my half of the data entry, I told the fellow committee members that I think he should be Dr. Demento instead as he's far better known as that (we almost missed Biz Markie as a hit last year, as he was picked under Marcel Hall!), we all agreed and it was changed. But I guess the system still sees him as an "H" due to what he was originally.

It's another to-do that'll be fixed in due time.

Hello showrunners, good work getting the site up so rapidly.

I notice that you've given my time's-up team the wrong Jim Norton, though granted I could have given a better description. To confirm, its the Irish actor (who played Len Brennan in Father Ted), born 1938, not the US comedian, born 1968 (though I will kick myself if the latter dies).

Not quite sure why Shake Rattle Roll Over and Play Dead has Duane Eddy listed twice. Should they have 19 members because of predeceasing entry, or is there another reason? Anyway, if he dies (he won't, I picked him) they ain't getting points twice! 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Anyway, if he dies (he won't, I picked him) they ain't getting points twice! 

Yeah, my first go at a team to win the DDP, subtitled The Gary Burgesses and consisting of 20 identical picks, was frowned upon for some reason by the Cmme. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Not quite sure why Shake Rattle Roll Over and Play Dead has Duane Eddy listed twice. Should they have 19 members because of predeceasing entry, or is there another reason? Anyway, if he dies (he won't, I picked him) they ain't getting points twice! 

It's wrong - well spotted.

The team have incorrectly included him twice in their entry but normally this would be highlighted by the conditional formatting in the spreadsheet which highlights duplicates. For the cells of this entry the conditional formatting is not in place (I know not why) so this has not been highlighted and therefore missed.

@gcreptile one Duane Eddy needs removed from this team and replaced by Brue Channel the first sub. 

I'm not going to go through all the teams checking the formatting is working and for duplicates missed because I know it was in place for a lot of teams where duplicates did exist and the teams are up live now anyway so duplicates will be highlighted in the same way YW has picked up Duane Eddy.

• Like 1

See now if everyone was savvy, they'd list their names by surname alphabetically (like the DDP does) and they wouldn't end up with doublers. I think something similar happened with Barry Cryer last year, ha!

"rushes off to check the Cryer entry on the uploaded list*

Yeah, I saw that the highlighting of double names didn't work. I tried a quick and easy fix yesterday evening, but that didn't work either, so it's on the to-do list (for next year).

I think the best solution might even be to do the highlighting in the excel submission form. But I will change the DDP database as well (for next year).

The pick change will happen, of course, probably this evening.

Now, Dr. Demento.... that's tough. I have to look into it, but it's possible the code is now hard fixed into the "h" category, i.e. fixing it would require deleting the old entry, and make a new one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

I think the best solution might even be to do the highlighting in the excel submission form.

It's not a high enough hit rate on people using the excel form - maybe 70:30 this year at best.

It definitely worked on some teams because the duplicates were highlighted so must be possible to sort in the excel sheet. Let me try at some point.

Just now, Grim Up North said:

It's not a high enough hit rate on people using the excel form - maybe 70:30 this year at best.

It definitely worked on some teams because the duplicates were highlighted so must be possible to sort in the excel sheet. Let me try at some point.

Most likely scenario: I (or even a previous host) started doing the highlighting for some teams pages, and ran out of gas halfway through the process, at some point in the past two years.

It got hot again

Looking through all the teams I am surprised at some of the picks that are unique. 

Also I’ve noticed several teams have the same issue as mine in terms of 2021 references within the team name that need updating. 

4 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Looking through all the teams I am surprised at some of the picks that are unique. 

Also I’ve noticed several teams have the same issue as mine in terms of 2021 references within the team name that need updating. 

the team names thing must be something to do with the tfr from excel sheets (by team code) to the access files which drive the site information - the excel files all got updated to the correct year I think but they are corrected against the same team code to maintain your team’s history etc

im sure reptile will be able to sort them all. Same with themes etc too - some of comments about missing info or no theme are showing on the excel teams sheet.

• Like 1

Again, thank you very much - DI, GUN and gcreptile - for doing such great work!

Another site that will accompany me regularly this year.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ethnic cleansing said:

Will we still see a line through the names of the picks as they die off

as we have in the past?

Yeah,  you should, I remember though that I didn't see it with Jana Bennett, yesterday evening. I'll try again.

Some of the names are a bit messy, i.e. no consistency with upper and lower case. For instance:

george alagiah

Francoise HARDY

JIM REDMAN

Is that something that can be easily sorted out?

Not sure what's happened to the DDP site since last night but everything just redirects to that "DDP 2021: Moore Time to Die" page.

12 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Not sure what's happened to the DDP site since last night but everything just redirects to that "DDP 2021: Moore Time to Die" page.

As in clicking on front page links? Strange, I don't seem to have that problem, anyone else encountering the same?

1 minute ago, Death Impends said:

As in clicking on front page links? Strange, I don't seem to have that problem, anyone else encountering the same?

Yes. It says DDP 2022 at the top (and at the head of the navigation menu), but anything I click on just takes me back to that one page.

24 minutes ago, Toast said:

Some of the names are a bit messy, i.e. no consistency with upper and lower case. For instance:

george alagiah

Francoise HARDY

JIM REDMAN

Is that something that can be easily sorted out?

The Francoise HARDY ones are new names from the 2017 game which was the only one to ever use that style. We, by which I do mean Reptile, tried to fix this in 2020 and 2021 but the system just wasn't having it. Alagiah a side effect of the game engine deleting him entirely last year. 

Incredible that picks 32-40 on Drop 40 are a tie.

• Like 1