Jump to content
Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2022

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, Toast said:

Just to say that I should be available if required to help out with adding images for new picks.

Very nice to hear. I think that work will be done roughly around Jan 20th - Feb 10th or something like that.

It will roughly be half as much work as last time, as we had to do 2 years last time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

@machotrouts Good teams. Sally Morgan has been recently widowed  so might prove to be a good shout. 

 

That was my thinking, though of course she's not so much lost a husband as gained a new psychic ghost friend.

 

Ray Stevens snuck onto #1 Hits for the same reason.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, machotrouts said:

 

That was my thinking, though of course she's not so much lost a husband as gained a new psychic ghost friend.

 

Ray Stevens snuck onto #1 Hits for the same reason.

Did you pick or consider picking anyone from Big Brother who was a non celeb (initially) or to put it a better way from the ordinary  civilian Big Brother?

 

I choose  Caroline O'Shea from the original  Big Brother in 2000. I have no compelling  reason to pick her but I think she was the oldest in that iconic series  turning 59 this year and by personality seems the most likely to go off the rails in an impulsive or manic way. Also a bit hedonistic  I think. I could be totally wrong but felt she was worth a punt.

I also suspect she is a unique pick but will obviously have to wait several weeks for confirmation of that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Did you pick or consider picking anyone from Big Brother who was a non celeb (initially) or to put it a better way from the ordinary  civilian Big Brother?

 

Becki Seddiki and Adele Roberts are my only civilian picks this year – both cancerstruck in 2021. (Adele probably better known for her post-BB radio career, of course.)

 

Unpersons always ends up being CBB-dominated, mostly because the housemates are a lot older and off-the-railser. It's also consistently my most sloppily researched team, because I keep running out of time doing the other teams first. Hoping to make more time to dig through civvies for the 2023 squad.

 

1 hour ago, machotrouts said:

Ray Stevens snuck onto #1 Hits for the same reason.

 

Just remembered so did Billy J. Kramer. (Already had a heart attack since then, too.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right all teams fully loaded up - just under 500 this year.

 

Still about 360 celeb new misspelt not recognised celebs to check (565 already done) and lots of other checking to do but always a nice milestone to have all the teams on.

 

No review of dodgy picks has taken place yet as names not 'released' to reptile and DI yet. That will happen over the next week.

 

I am now at the point where I no longer have to write '(footballer)' in front of Pele which I feel like I have done about 250 times but I'll find out later how many.

No more squeezing Emeritus into the Pope's name.

No more adding the dash in to Oliver Newton-John.

No more adding the . to Michael J. Fox

No more rewriting Queen Elizabeth II or just adding II.

etc etc etc

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Right all teams fully loaded up - just under 500 this year.

 

Still about 360 celeb new misspelt not recognised celebs to check (565 already done) and lots of other checking to do but always a nice milestone to have all the teams on.

 

No review of dodgy picks has taken place yet as names not 'released' to reptile and DI yet. That will happen over the next week.

 

I am now at the point where I no longer have to write '(footballer)' in front of Pele which I feel like I have done about 250 times but I'll find out later how many.

No more squeezing Emeritus into the Pope's name.

No more adding the dash in to Oliver Newton-John.

No more adding the . to Michael J. Fox

No more rewriting Queen Elizabeth II or just adding II.

etc etc etc

Any relation to Olivia ? 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Any relation to Olivia ? 

 

It is a sad fact that any post commenting on spelling always contains a spelling mistake :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2022 at 21:44, msc said:

 

Nice. Already thinking I should have payed John Ashton more attention tbh!

 

That Comedy team seems held together by sticky back plaster.

 

Also hah, entirely different Sex Pistol from the one I was considering!

 

On 01/01/2022 at 13:25, YoungWillz said:

Right, here are the votes of the YoungWillz Jury. Watch them live!

 

12 Lords A-Leaving, 8 Ladies Dying


JOKER (Pick 1): Jerry Lee Lewis: Rock and roll pianist. (M)
(Pick 2): Chris Bonington: Mountaineer. (M)
(Pick 3): Rob Burrow: English Rugby League player. (M)
(Pick 4): Eileen Derbyshire: Actress who played Emily Bishop on Coronation Street. (F)
(Pick 5): Paul Di'Anno: Former lead singer with Iron Maiden. (M)
(Pick 6): Marianne Faithfull: Singer, Mick Jagger's ex. (F)
(Pick 7): Frank Field: Former Labour MP for Birkenhead. (M)
(Pick 8): Roberta Flack: R&B singer, famous for Killing Me Softly With His Song. (F) 
(Pick 9): Tony Green: British darts commentator, especially known for the quiz show Bullseye. (M)
(Pick 10): Denis Law: Footballer, striker for Scotland and both Manchesters. (M)
(Pick 11): Richard Lester: US film director, most famous for A Hard Day's Night and Help! (M)
(Pick 12): Imelda Marcos: Filipino former First Lady and politician. (F)
(Pick 13): Glen Matlock: Bass guitarist in the original line-up of The Sex Pistols. (M)
(Pick 14): Robin Millar (Record Producer): Hugely successful music producer, behind such acts as Sade, Fine Young Cannibals and Big Country, to name a few. (M)
(Pick 15): Liza Minnelli: Judy Garland's daughter, singer and actress in her own right. (F)
(Pick 16): Olivia Newton-John: Singer, played the role of Sandy in Grease. (F)
(Pick 17): Linda Nolan: Part of the sister singing group The Nolans. (F)
(Pick 18): Yoko Ono: Artist and musician, widow of John Lennon. (F) 
(Pick 19): William Russell: Actor, most famous for playing Ian Chesterton in Doctor Who.
(Pick 20): James Whale: Right wing radio shock jock. (M)

 

Comedy Cremations


JOKER (Pick 1): Barry Humphries: Australian comic actor of Edna Everage and Les Patterson fame
(Pick 2): John Alderton: Actor who played the role of Bernard Hedges in Please Sir!
(Pick 3): Stanley Baxter: Scottish Comedy Actor
(Pick 4): James Bolam: Comedic actor in The Likely Lads, Only When I Laugh and Second Thoughts
(Pick 5): Eric Chappell: English Comedy Writer e.g. Rising Damp
(Pick 6): Billy Connolly: Scottish Comedian
(Pick 7): Kenneth Cope: Actor who appeared in a few Carry On movies as well as comedy specials, as well as off the wall ghost in Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)
(Pick 8): Bill Cosby: American comedy performer e.g. The Cosby Show
(Pick 9): Bernard Cribbins: Actor with few comedy records and comedic roles, narrated The Wombles.
(Pick 10): Barry Cryer: English Comedy Writer
(Pick 11): Melvyn Hayes: Comedy Actor e.g. It Ain't Half Hot Mum
(Pick 12): Anna Karen: Actress best known as Olive in On The Buses.
(Pick 13): Brian Murphy: Comedy Actor e.g. Man About The House; George And Mildred
(Pick 14): Bob Newhart: American Comedy Performer
(Pick 15): Duncan Norvelle: English Comedy Performer
(Pick 16): Leslie Phillips: English Comedy Actor e.g. Carry On series and Harry Potter
(Pick 17): Prunella Scales: Actress, best known as Sybil Fawlty in Fawlty Towers
(Pick 18): Josephine Tewson: Sidewoman to Ronnie Barker and known for Last Of The Summer Wine and Keeping Up Appearances.
(Pick 19): Dick Van Dyke: Had his own eponymous comedy show in the 1960s.
(Pick 20): Richard Wilson: Scottish comedic actor and scriptwriter, best known as Victor Meldrew.

 

Hits of 36 Years Ago And Hits Today


JOKER (Pick 1): John Ashton (Musician) Guitarist and composer with post punk/new wave band The Psychedelic Furs [#18 Pretty In Pink (Psychedelic Furs)]
(Pick 2): Jet Black:  Drummer with New Wave band The Stranglers [#30 Always The Sun (Stranglers)]
(Pick 3): Dieter Bohlen: German pop titan, singer turned record producer and TV personality [#4 Brother Louie (Modern Talking)]
(Pick 4): Phil Collins: Genesis drummer turned solo artist [#11 Separate Lives]
(Pick 5): Mary Davis: Lead vocalist for The SOS Band, their biggest UK chart success coming with Just Be Good To Me [#17 The Finest (SOS Band)]
(Pick 6): Duane Eddy: Twanging guitarist, known for hits such as Peter Gunn [#8 Peter Gunn]
(Pick 7): Rob Halford: Lead singer with rockers Judas Priest [#26 Stars (Hear 'N Aid)]
(Pick 8): John Keeble: Drummer with New Romantic proponents Spandau Ballet [#13 Do They Know It's Xmas (Band Aid)/#6 Through The Barricades (Spandau Ballet)]
(Pick 9): Patti LaBelle: Singer with R'n'B band Labelle turned successful solo songstress [#2 On My Own]
(Pick 10): Shane MacGowan: Frontman of The Pogues [#29 Poguetry In Motion EP (The Pogues)]
(Pick 11): Michael McDonald (Musician): Singer/songwriter with The Doobie Brothers and Steely Dan [#2 On My Own] 
(Pick 12): Nana Mouskouri: Hugely popular Greek singer [#2 Only Love]
(Pick 13): Ted Nugent: Controversial right wing guitarist, mainly in the US [#26 Stars (Hear 'N Aid)]
(Pick 14): Ozzy Osbourne: Former lead singer with Black Sabbath, turned reality TV star [#20 Shot In The Dark]
(Pick 15): Joe Perry (Musician): Guitarist and sometime vocalist with rockers Aerosmith [#8 Walk This Way (Run DMC/Aerosmith)]
(Pick 16): Mike Peters: Lead singer with The Alarm [#22 Spirit Of '76 (The Alarm)]
(Pick 17): Grace Slick: US singer most associated with Jefferson Starship [#12 We Built This City (Starship)]
(Pick 18): Antone "Chubby" Tavares: One of five brothers and lead singer of funk and soul band Tavares [#12 Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel (Tavares)]
(Pick 19): Roger Whittaker: Easy Listening musician and singer [#10 The Skye Boat Song]
(Pick 20): Bill Wyman: Sometime long term guitarist for The Rolling Stones[ #13 Harlem Shuffle (Rolling Stones)]

I have Grace Slick as well for my Deadpool great pick also I forgot Duane Eddy I should switch some

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2022 at 23:10, Death Impends said:

Alright then, my co-host TJS team is as follows:

 

Gary Burgess JOKER
George Alagiah
Russell Bishop
Ricou Browning
Jimmy Carter
Frank Field
Johnny Gilbert
Clarence "Frogman" Henry
Jerry Lee Lewis
Linda Nolan
Tom Parker
Pelé
George Perez
Larry Pressler
Gavin Robertson
Tom Smith
Susie Steiner
Harrison Ruffin Tyler
James Whale
Milos Zeman

I have changed some picks and a substitute use my updated version (replaced Harrison Ford and Anthony Daniels for Gary Lockwood and Michael Caine and subbed in Duane Eddy  @Grim Up North

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Grim News said:

I have changed some picks and a substitute use my updated version (replaced Harrison Ford and Anthony Daniels for Gary Lockwood and Michael Caine and subbed in Duane Eddy  @Grim Up North

Pretty sure updating lists aren’t allowed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grim News said:

I have changed some picks and a substitute use my updated version (replaced Harrison Ford and Anthony Daniels for Gary Lockwood and Michael Caine and subbed in Duane Eddy  @Grim Up North

 

Sorry once your team is in unless the picks die before the starting line or are disallowed then your team is your team - even in those situations it just falls back on your subs bench.

 

Otherwise I'd have a lot of requests to swap their jokers for Gary Burgess.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't quite believe how quickly this last year has gone!

 

Here's the Dead Ends lineup for this year:

 

Gary Burgess (Joker)

Tom Parker

Tom Smith

Tim Bilton

Frank Field

Jana Bennett

Hamish Barbour

James Whale

Jonny Ruffo

Steve Gleason

Shannen Doherty

Linda Nolan

Rob Burrow

Vicky Phelan

Bill Turnbull

Deborah James

Susie Steiner

Igor Bogdanoff

Ronnie Atkins

Olivia Newton-John

 

(Subs - Liza Minelli, Miguel Van Damme, George Alagiah)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2022 at 19:30, The Old Crem said:

Any relation to Olivia ? 

 

Transitioning? B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2022 at 01:58, Eesti said:

DDP Tofoa 

 

Gary Burgess joker.gif

Frank Field

Russell Bishop

George Perez

Robert Durst

Jean-Louis Trintignant

Pele

Ady Barkan

Rob Burrow

Miguel van Damme

George Alagiah

Bill Turnbull

Gavin Robertson

Don West

Tom Parker

Tom Smith

Shannen Doherty

Linda Nolan

Olivia Newton-John

Igor Bogdanoff

 

So what are your thoughts? Any brainfarts or genious picks? Top 10 finish possible?

 

Seems like I nailed it with picking Bogdanoff. This must be the first time ever that I am in the (joint) lead (after 2 hits). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all of those running this year's game.

 

After a couple of years in the deathlisting wilderness, I have entered Pity Da Foolz once again.  For those interested:

 

Clare Marx (J)

George Alagiah

Bob Barker

Jana Bennett

Russell Bishop

Gary Burgess

Shannen Doherty

BIll Hayden

Alwen Hughes

Olivia Newton-John

Linda Nolan

Tom Parker

Frank Pritchard (a NZ rep rugby league player who was "fighting for his life" with Covid early on New Year's Day Brisbane time-but has since largely recovered so most likely a wasted pick, but good on him :) )

Carol Raye (English actress who made her name in Australia on Blankety Blanks amongst other things)

Vic Seixas

Tom Smith

Micky Stewart

Doddie Weir

Tom Weiskopf

James Whale

 

I've tried for a few uniques (Pritchard, Raye. Stewart, Seixas, Hughes) and most others will be Drop 40 but I've stumbled tactically by selecting Marx who will be neither as my joker. 

 

Good luck to all competitors, administrators and, of course, those selected on all the teams.  Too late for poor old Gary Burgess.

 

Cheers Dr_T

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to see you back! Hope life has been treating you better.

 

I think this means of the champions from 2010 on, only Bert isn't participating?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dr_T said:

Thanks to all of those running this year's game.

 

After a couple of years in the deathlisting wilderness, I have entered Pity Da Foolz once again.  For those interested:

 

Clare Marx (J)

George Alagiah

Bob Barker

Jana Bennett

Russell Bishop

Gary Burgess

Shannen Doherty

BIll Hayden

Alwen Hughes

Olivia Newton-John

Linda Nolan

Tom Parker

Frank Pritchard (a NZ rep rugby league player who was "fighting for his life" with Covid early on New Year's Day Brisbane time-but has since largely recovered so most likely a wasted pick, but good on him :) )

Carol Raye (English actress who made her name in Australia on Blankety Blanks amongst other things)

Vic Seixas

Tom Smith

Micky Stewart

Doddie Weir

Tom Weiskopf

James Whale

 

I've tried for a few uniques (Pritchard, Raye. Stewart, Seixas, Hughes) and most others will be Drop 40 but I've stumbled tactically by selecting Marx who will be neither as my joker. 

 

Good luck to all competitors, administrators and, of course, those selected on all the teams.  Too late for poor old Gary Burgess.

 

Cheers Dr_T

 

I'm afriad Seixas is in my sporty theme team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, marinade said:

I've tried for a few uniques (Pritchard, Raye. Stewart, Seixas, Hughes) 

 

40 minutes ago, marinade said:

 

I'm afriad Seixas is in my sporty theme team.

 

I picked him too. Oops, was meant to quote Dr_T at the top there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the Father of the House of Death, you would think that I had learned how to play this game.

 

one hit is the lowest I have ever done in my 20+ efforts.

 

I am not convinced that 2022 will be any better.

 

Here are my picks.

 

Brian Morris               JOKER                   pro golfer

George Pérez                                            American comic book artist

Chris Croucher                                           screenwriter and producer.

Jamie Farr                                                 Actor

Billy Connolly                                             Legend

Rob Burrow                                                Leeds Rhinos player

Janey Godley                                             Comedienne

Gerald Harper                                            Actor

Jean-Louis Trintignant                            actor, filmmaker and racecar driver.

Jimmy Carter                                              ex pres

Linda Nolan                                                soon to be ex singer

Tom Smith                                                  Rugby player (Scotland)

Winnie Ewing                                            Scottish National Party politician

Michael Parkinson                                   chat show bloke

Noam Chomsky                                        "the father of modern linguistics"

Dick Van Dyke                                           Chimney sweep

Prunella Scales                                          Mrs Fawlty

Pelé                                                               soccer legend

Walter Mirisch                                          American film producer

Lynda Baron                                               actress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

As the Father of the House of Death, you would think that I had learned how to play this game.

 

one hit is the lowest I have ever done in my 20+ efforts.

 

I am not convinced that 2022 will be any better.

 

Here are my picks.

 

Brian Morris               JOKER                   pro golfer

George Pérez                                            American comic book artist

Chris Croucher                                           screenwriter and producer.

Jamie Farr                                                 Actor

Billy Connolly                                             Legend

Rob Burrow                                                Leeds Rhinos player

Janey Godley                                             Comedienne

Gerald Harper                                            Actor

Jean-Louis Trintignant                            actor, filmmaker and racecar driver.

Jimmy Carter                                              ex pres

Linda Nolan                                                soon to be ex singer

Tom Smith                                                  Rugby player (Scotland)

Winnie Ewing                                            Scottish National Party politician

Michael Parkinson                                   chat show bloke

Noam Chomsky                                        "the father of modern linguistics"

Dick Van Dyke                                           Chimney sweep

Prunella Scales                                          Mrs Fawlty

Pelé                                                               soccer legend

Walter Mirisch                                          American film producer

Lynda Baron                                               actress

 

 

Fuckin' hope you improve this year - there's four names on your list I'm relying on for points

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's mine "today's the day the maggots have their picnic". My 16th year participating I think

Deborah James (J)

Milos Zeman

Frank Field

Mahathir Mohammed

James Whale

Queen Elizabeth

Clare Marx

Dennis Skinner

Frankie Valli

Prunella Scales

Pope Benedict

Mikhail Gorbachev

Shannon Doherty

Josef Fritzl

Jana Bennett

Mike Yarwood

Gary Burgess

George Alagiah

Linda Nolan

Doddie Weir

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2022 at 06:34, Eesti said:

 

Seems like I nailed it with picking Bogdanoff. This must be the first time ever that I am in the (joint) lead (after 2 hits). 

Should have picked his brother too but good job 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use