TQR

The Next Tory Leader

Who’ll Be The Next Tory Leader?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, Lord Frost is out there dissing Mordaunt and generally trying to help Truss, which includes suggestions that Badenoch would do us all a favour to back off and take a post in Truss's government. 

Nice one, but... Frost isn't elected or in cabinet. Given the cronyism that helped bring Boris down, is this a wise move today?

• Like 2

Lis Truss saying she was brought up a traditional conservative when it is well known her parents are both left wing in outlook is a bit weird. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Lis Truss saying she was brought up a traditional conservative when it is well known her parents are both left wing in outlook is a bit weird. 

She is trying to emulate Blow Jo by telling huge provable lies to say if people will buy it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Just as weird as Sunak being from “humble beginnings”, despite being a product of Winchester, Oxford & Goldman Sachs.

Speaking of these two twats, yesterday we had Truss not being able to find her way out of a room with one door:

Now we have team Rishi who can’t spell.

Waiaiinkiairs.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Speaking of these two twats, yesterday we had Truss not being able to find her way out of a room with one door:

There was another tweet about that, with a commentary taken from One Man And His Dog.  :D

(Probably nobody from outside the British Isles will get that)

• Haha 1

Braverman shilling hard that her supporters must back Truss and not Badenoch. Looking increasingly like being the triumph of mediocrity that is Sunak v Truss with Mordaunt being squeezed out. Truss + Badenoch will outgun Mordaunt + Tugendhat. Only thing that could change that is if some Badenoch supporters really want a new voice, which neither Truss nor Sunak provide - but with Badenoch aggressively 'anti-woke' and Mordaunt being accused of being 'woke' then policy-wise it may be a hard square to circle. And it's not in Sunak's interests to try and rig the vote in Mordaunt's favour - he's got a better chance with the membership against Truss than Mordaunt on current evidence.

Meanwhile, in a semi-related development, Matt Hancock was on Newscast discussing his support of Rishi Sunak. It took him 30 seconds (I'm not exaggerating) to mention 'Gina' and he also said that he handed all his departmental communications over for the Covid inquiry prior to leaving the Health Department. He got very excited explaining how transparent he'd been, announcing he'd also handed over his private emails, because although they say Ministers shouldn't conduct business on their private accounts, the situation was so desperate that it didn't matter. The penny dropped that he may have let slip more than he intended when Victoria Derbyshire then countered asking who on earth would be able to contact him via his private email account anyway? He spluttered for a while and then said something about his parliamentary email being on his website and a lot of offers coming through that. I'm sure all those accusations of people close to Hancock benefitting from Covid contracts is not at all linked to this, though...can you imagine? :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think Badenoch could win.

Talk us through that.

• Like 3

Listening to 5 folk chat about how their Government has failed this country since 2010 and saying, yeah, we need a plan to sort this and that.

Love the tax cut shite. They are not talking about tax cuts for people, it's for their business mates and accordingly themselves.

Same old Tory shit show, use power to line their own pockets then when a fire comes along run about like headless chickens wondering who struck the match.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I think Badenoch could win.

No too far behind plus ERG aren't endorsing her.

26 minutes ago, Sean said:

No too far behind plus ERG aren't endorsing her.

There is a route. Outshine Truss in the debates, siphon votes during the weekend and sneak into the final three to take advantage of being none of the others. 

Unfortunately for her, if Truss was mediocre in this first debate, Badenoch wasn't much better!

Think Truss still seems likeliest but by default rather than talent.

55 minutes ago, msc said:

There is a route. Outshine Truss in the debates, siphon votes during the weekend and sneak into the final three to take advantage of being none of the others. 

Unfortunately for her, if Truss was mediocre in this first debate, Badenoch wasn't much better!

Think Truss still seems likeliest but by default rather than talent.

Haven't seen the debate.Technically possible but the fact Liz Truss is shit at media appearances and comes across as a cross between Theresa May and Alice out of the Vicar of Dibley means that her supporters have factored this in and don t care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She also reminds me a bit of Nicola Murray.

• Haha 1

So, basically, I'll be amazed if that underpowered first run through of pantomime moves anyone significantly in the voting. The big questions I guess being whether Badenoch gets bought off by a big (Home Secretary) offer by Truss's lot as a last desperate attempt to leap-frog Penny who performed more calmly and clearly fancies herself to tuck in for second and storm past in the head-to-head of the holiday hustings. Just possible that Tugendhadt gets a result with the bare faced desperation of urging party members to pressure MPs in his favour. He had nowt to lose so worth a shot, but getting MPs to listen, even to their own constituents is hard on a good day, if they'd done that Johnson would have been toast (yeh, I know I keep doing that), months ago. 

My bet, the top four in the last vote are the top four in the next one. 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Liz Truss is Theresa May 2.0.

More like 0.0.

5 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

More like 0.0.

Desperate.

Kemi now leading a conservative home poll by a 12 percent margin over her nearest Italian Truss.Wonder if this will get her a boost of MPs backing.Still can't see her getting past 4th place but could damage other candidates campaign's if she boosts her numbers.

CON-HOME-RESULTS.jpg

Cost of Living.

Sunak: I'm going to fix the economic mess I've made. Stick with the plan I have (remember I never saw inflation coming and I'm going to cut the taxes I've put on folk when and if I can be arsed).

Truss: We are in unprecedented times (conveniently forgetting the Heath three day week, the Callaghan Winter of Discontent and the unemployment disasters of the early Thatcher years), so giving away our national wealth to foreign companies and inward investment (even from Russian shell companies) is the answer.

Mordaunt and Badenoch: I know not everyone has a car and in fact many have sold them to pay the bills. So cutting fuel duty is the way to go.

Tugendhat: I'm going to be outta here soon. So I'm in favour of a little bit of all of the above.

• Like 2

Amazing how all 5 of them say the last decade has been a total mess and then talk about how much good the Tories have done. The ridiculous thing is, as we've seen before, there's a 50-50 chance the public give them another term to see if they can fix it. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

Trust and Integrity.

Badenoch: I've been so so brave in resigning from Government. And that Tugendhat is a little bitch who doesn't know how difficult my life as a Minister was.

Tugendhat: I led in Iraq and Afghanistan and have persuaded changes in policy. Which counts for nothing apparently.

Truss: I'm a wonderful person, I present like a poor man's Lady Penelope from Thunderbirds but I stuck by Johnson through thick and thin and he's picked me as the best hope for the future, like Princess Leia did with Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Sunak: I'm incredibly proud of my poor immigrant parents who made it rich at the expense of those who were born here, and I'd like that to happen in the future.

Mordaunt: Everybody lies about me - look at the papers for gawd's sakes. I'm part of a team who will campaign as we govern (which apparently is chaotically).

• Like 1

Tory leadership hopefuls for an hour: this government has been an absolute car crash. It needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom. I didn't agree with any of it.

Also Tory leadership hopefuls: there should definitely not be a general election, we were elected on a manifesto and we have to deliver it.

• Like 2

General Election. Now.