Bibliogryphon

William Russell

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I imagine there are many who have seen it albeit very few on original broadcast.

I saw it when BBC4 aired it during the 50th Anniversary celebrations. Probably the same night as the origin story aired 'An Adventure I Space and Time'.

• Like 1

Not to be Captain obvious but I think Toast meant on original broadcast!

At which point my parents weren't even in school yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My parents weren't born in 1963, but as a kid I asked every adult I knew about Doctor Who. My teacher Mrs Jones watched it from the beginning and also remembered the Monoids.

• Like 1

@Toast are all these "Nah, I wasn't born at the time" posts making you feel any better? I have my doubts! :lol:

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, msc said:

@Toast are all these "Nah, I wasn't born at the time" posts making you feel any better? I have my doubts! :lol:

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to say that their grandparents weren't born then  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to say that their grandparents weren't born then  :rolleyes:

Hah. I can assure my grandparents were adults then. In fact, my grandfather scheduled his Saturday job so he could be home to watch Doctor Who. He loved shows like that. Only person I know who saw the first episode for sure (because it was brought up a lot in the Radio Times and he thought it'd be interesting, but I don't know if this was on the 23rd November 1963, or the repeat a few days later due to the Kennedy assassination) - but he's long gone now, alas.

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

Don't worry about it  ! I think there is a lot of truth in the saying your only as old as the man you feel! I love being 28!:lol:;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Don't worry about it  ! I think there is a lot of truth in the saying your only as old as the man you feel! I love being 28!:lol:;)

Ah, you're back to talking about Phyllis Diller again, then?

• Haha 1

On 20/08/2022 at 18:12, Toast said:

Is there anyone here who saw the very first episode of Doctor Who?

I did. No memory of it, though I've seen it numerous times since on DVD.

Main memory is of the night before, with the JFK assassination.

• Like 1

On 20/08/2022 at 18:12, Toast said:

Is there anyone here who saw the very first episode of Doctor Who?

Its possible but I don't remember it if I did. I saw it last time I had Britbox, as it had two different versions available (no, I can't remember what the differences were exactly, just some dialogue I think) so I watched them both.

1 hour ago, time said:

Its possible but I don't remember it if I did. I saw it last time I had Britbox, as it had two different versions available (no, I can't remember what the differences were exactly, just some dialogue I think) so I watched them both.

After viewing the original pilot, Sydney Newman decided that the episode needed to be remade. He even described this version as "...the worst piece of work I've seen in a long time." (In Their Own Words Volume One) As well as numerous technical and dialogue problems, changes were also made to the story. These mostly consisted of changing the characters of the First Doctor and Susan. The Doctor was made more likable and less confrontational, and Susan less alien, notably her costume, originally very futuristic, was made to look more childlike in the second version. Newman acknowledged Captain Nemo as a major influence in his original concept for the Doctor's character and personality.

As usual with most things TV at the time, Sydney Newman was right. The Pilot has a far gruffer take on the Doctor, dressed in a suit and tie and barking at everyone. In the actual episode, Hartnell plays his lines more distrustful of strangers than evil kidnapper, and adds in his traditional "hmms" "haws" and giggles. The Susan character was drawing Rorschach hexagons on paper and amping up the weird alien stuff too. Plus, shitloads went wrong - from boom mics appearing to, yes, wobbly sets.

It's a curio, but the decision to refilm it with the characters written as friendlier, and the thing sharper, was 100% the correct decision. Else we wouldn't be talking about it nearly 60 years later.

• Like 2

Yes it's a spoiler, but pretty great nonetheless. I wonder if it sets a record for longest hiatus of an actor portraying a role.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaDeathGuy said:

Yes it's a spoiler, but pretty great nonetheless. I wonder if it sets a record for longest hiatus of an actor portraying a role.

Yes it did. If I remember rightly the previous record was Ysanne Churchman playing Alpha Centuri (43 years). Bill Russell last played Ian 57 years ago.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DaDeathGuy said:

It has been I  the can for about a year though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

It has been I  the can for about a year though

No idea when it was filmed, looked a while ago, but surprised and delighted to see a TV legend make one more appearance like that.

• Like 2

According to someone who knows the family: he has good days and bad days, mentally. Usually, his family are around to reassure him when he gets confused. He's still keeping physically active as much as possible, and able to go on holidays and enjoy them.

That even a scripted five-word single line was a struggle shows why he's retired, though. He wanted to do the Dr Who appearance, but what we got was pretty much the maximum you could get out of William Russell now.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, msc said:

According to someone who knows the family: he has good days and bad days, mentally. Usually, his family are around to reassure him when he gets confused. He's still keeping physically active as much as possible, and able to go on holidays and enjoy them.

That even a scripted five-word single line was a struggle shows why he's retired, though. He wanted to do the Dr Who appearance, but what we got was pretty much the maximum you could get out of William Russell now.

No wonder he was confused when the companions referred to the Doctor as 'she'. :lol:

And just to add myself to the list of people who loved that little reunion.

• Like 3

Seems like he has dementia: 

• Sad 3
  • Shocked 3

Damn, I had my suspicions from the October updates about getting confused, but Janet would know so that confirms it.

2 minutes ago, msc said:

Damn, I had my suspicions from the October updates about getting confused, but Janet would know so that confirms it.

At Russell's present state of survival, Janet Fielding will be holding Bill Russell's hand outside the pearly gates as they walk through together!

• Like 2

Why is this a shock?Was evident from reports earlier this year.

• Like 2

Surely to feature on the 2024 DL. Widely appreciated actor, turning 100 and dementia sufferer

• Like 3