Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

The last one in 2021 rated ok through and 70 feels a nice number to end it on as tribute to Apted 

The last one was in 2019.

They’re all available on Prime. You can’t not make 70 Up. Someone will pick it up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The last one was in 2019.

They’re all available on Prime. You can’t not make 70 Up. Someone will pick it up.

2 dead, 2 refuse to do more, Apted dead, a few already wavering. I have my doubts. I think the series lasted as long as it did because enough of them trusted Michael Apted to tell their story. You can't just replace decades of trust building. I expect most of them die off the radar in about 10-15 years. 

Ironically, one of the people convinced the Up series should go on until it charted all of their deaths was Nick Hitchon!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, msc said:

2 dead, 2 refuse to do more, Apted dead, a few already wavering. I have my doubts. I think the series lasted as long as it did because enough of them trusted Michael Apted to tell their story. You can't just replace decades of trust building. I expect most of them die off the radar in about 10-15 years. 

Ironically, one of the people convinced the Up series should go on until it charted all of their deaths was Nick Hitchon!

I'm not sure any of them will die off radar.

Worth remembering that Apted was only the assistant on the first one. He took over from Canadian Paul Almond (also now dead). Someone at ITV could easily pick it up. They'd kick themselves afterwards if they didn't.

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm not sure any of them will die off radar.

Worth remembering that Apted was only the assistant on the first one. He took over from Canadian Paul Almond (also now dead). Someone at ITV could easily pick it up. They'd kick themselves afterwards if they didn't.

Well, yeah - but their stars will be into their eighth decade and might require kicking several times to be persuaded - two down, two don't want to know, others wanted to know last time for their own reasons (like, hey my band plays pubs!) 

Sad about Nick Hitchon. That series carries so much emotion and he’s possibly the participant I liked the most in it. 

• Like 2

Another bold prediction:  2023 will be the first time in Drop 40 history to have the top 5 picks all be hits. 

Taking into account the recent updates on James Whale (not doing his show), Jimmy Carter (hospice updates) and Jonnie Irwin (all moments sold to tabloids), with under five months left, and given their conditions, it seems probable.  I see Carter as the likely stumbling block.  I don't think a sweep of the top 10 is possible, thanks to #6 being Frank Field.  Only 2020 with 17 D40 hits came close with 7 of the top 10 as hits.

Only three years have had 3 of the top 5 as hits: 2020, 2019 and 2013.  And I think it is time for 2023 to outclass them.

On 07/08/2023 at 21:53, YoungWillz said:

Fuck it.

I was one of the 4 who had him last year. I dropped him this year because I didn't think he would score enough. Not Drop 40 obviously, and with 3 other teams picking him, he was never going to be a unique ...:facepalm:

2 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Fuck it.

I was one of the 4 who had him last year. I dropped him this year because I didn't think he would score enough. Not Drop 40 obviously, and with 3 other teams picking him, he was never going to be a unique ...:facepalm:

Ach, I've been away all evening and to my knowledge he hasn't picked up a QO yet anyway. You can take solace in that. Until the QO does come in. 

Someone remind me where Abu Hussein al-Husseini al-Quraisi is concerned. ISIS confirm him dead in a gun battle, Reuters have reported it but can I fuck see anyhwhere online giving his age. 

DDP simply have to make a ruling for the three of us hanging on for points, right? 

Martin Walser just received a New York Times obit. Surely the UK press wont be far behind?

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Martin Walser just received a New York Times obit. Surely the UK press wont be far behind?

Think Kamm got the same but no QO.

Anyhow, Robbie Robertson QO: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/news/robbie-robertson-band-singer-lead-194803097.html

Wanna wait a few more hours see if you can do a mega update?

• Like 1

I just noticed that I had each of my three entries (main + two theme teams) got a hit in almost back-to-back-to-back days.  That’s pretty exciting seeing as I am terrible at this DP.

Just checked : Helene Carrere d’Encausse is a miss, last picked in 2018 by Académie des Morts theme team

• Thanks 2
  • Shocked 1

wasn't there a list of people who died before they got picked or am i pissing the can because i cant find it and its making me mad (not list of the missed but the people who got picked this year and died before hand)

7 minutes ago, Insane said:

wasn't there a list of people who died before they got picked or am i pissing the can because i cant find it and its making me mad (not list of the missed but the people who got picked this year and died before hand)

If someone picked this year is later found out to have died previously, they get added to the List of the Lost.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, thought so when NYT showed up. Henry Kamm was a different case, because he was an NYT employee.

• Like 1

One we overlooked perhaps @gcreptile? No mention of him on the site but definitely picked.

David Brewer died on 28 May and received a QO: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/07/04/sir-david-brewer-obit-garter-knight-lord-mayor-insurance/

Also, looks like a birthday death!!!!

With Avant, Amirov, Bredin and Walser, it is another mega update. Pace is immense this year.

• Like 2